Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hello thread. Sorry to barge in like this but this is the only NZ thread on these dead gay forums.

Is anyone here working in IT in NZ and willing to answer a few questions for me? If so, please PM me. Thank you for reading and namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Champion, thanks folks.

The wife and I are looking to emigrate to NZ from Japan by mid-2020 at the latest. I'm a dual Australian-NZ citizen but have never lived in NZ. We've both visited several times though and are dead set on moving. I'm fixed on Wellington for the proximity to nature while the wife would prefer Auckland since she's a city girl. She also wants to buy a house though so I am thinking "definitely not Auckland". If that's where the work is, though, that's where we'll have to go.

I'm a very-generalist who does sysadmin work on mostly Microsoft products but have experience in networking, storage, cloud infra, user support, etc. The role I'm in now is short-term-project-style "roll out a system for the client that will do this, and have it done by X". A good role for learning the ins and outs of the products in that particular project. Since it's a Japanese company with big (conservative) clients, we need to have everything fully designed and documented (down to the "these are the checkboxes that are selected" level) before starting out, and what would usually be a 15-minute install ends up being an hour or so since we take screenshots and notes and all that stuff along the way. I'm 38 this year and haven't had a management role yet but would be comfortable leading a small team.

We last visited NZ in 2015 and were told by a couple of the locals that there was a shortage of skilled IT folk, and the news I've seen on the topic hasn't changed since then. So on that note:
- Is that still true?
- What's a general salary range someone like me might expect to see? Do companies ever pay relocation allowances? (The latter is a "would be nice but no biggie")
- What's the best way to go looking for positions -- through a recruiter or by visiting companies' pages directly? And if the former, are there any recommended recruiters?
- How likely is it that a company would do all but the final interview over Skype or something like that?
- Lastly, is there any demand for this kind of IT work outside the two major cities?

Thanks again for your time.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thanks very much for the information. I feel like I know which directions to be looking in now. Sad to hear about the supposed "shortage" but at least it's not a total disaster. Got that other thread bookmarked now too!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
We are very much looking forward to being there instead of here in Glorious Nippon, at least.

e: in this case the grass is literally greener

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghostlight posted:

that should be 'tain't

't'ain'ts'tve

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Xik posted:

They did to your joke what Paula Bennett did for social housing