Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hekia Parata has plans for schools, wonders why some schools are so defensive around her:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11538531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

To make it even more nz.jpg, I went to high school with that guy.

And a year of primary come to think of it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm an alien awkwardly wearing a man suit

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Lancelot posted:

The problem with Scout's entire premise is that it assumes a base of readership that cares about New Zealand "celebrities".

The problem with scout was it was run by Rachel Glucina and it turns out she's a reprehensible human being?

lol that people couldn't even stand working with her for 2 weeks before they all walked out, leaving her only with the remote workers that didn't have to share a room with her.

This was probably her dream job and it all fell apart instantly. Couldn't happen to a better person.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Laverna posted:

It's a pretty sad feeling when you realise most of the things New Zealanders regard as cultural identity are either shared or hotly contested with another country.

What would you say is NZ's national food?
If you're overseas and you want to make a good old kiwi dish to share with your new mates what is your go-to choice?

Fish 'n' chips and pies are British. Pavlova is argued over with Aussies. What else is there?

We don't have one, our speciality is producing good quality primary ingredients. Then we needed immigrants to come here and show us what could actually be done with the amazing food we produced, because before that entire aisles of the supermarket were dedicated to watties baked beans.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Sin of Onan posted:

(I have yet to see a Maori restaurant anywhere in this country, which is something of a pity as I'd be quite interested in trying one)

I've seen a few Hangi stalls at night markets in Wellington and Auckland, the one I tried was pretty good.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This is just getting sad now

Hey Guyz we were mentioned by someonE!!!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't know if you were being ironic, so this. Unironically.

I meant it. The baked beans anecdote is a favourite of my parent's when they talk about emigrating here in the 70s. That and Auckland airport being a very large tin shed, with a single desk for customs.

"You here to visit or to stay?"
"stay..."
*stamp* *stamp*
"Welcome to New Zealand"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

fong posted:

I guess its because I don't think you can expect our government to just refuse dealings with corrupt individuals.

Why not? If everyone refused, then those corrupt individuals would find themselves with no power at all. Except people do deal with them, so they get to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.

Insert typical "But if I don't do it someone else will!" response that bad people do to justify their horrible actions.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
10% informal votes.

All rounds needed for a majority to appear, blue won by a tiny margin.

But it was always going to be a Lockwood flag from the 1st round.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just curious, how do you Kiwis like your voting system? Is it all that it is cracked up to be?

Infinitely better than First Past the Post, I truly believe my and every other vote counts. There's maybe some minor tweaks to be made around thresholds, coat tailing, and electorate seats. But all in all I love telling foreign visitors about our system and highly representative parliament.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Butt Wizard posted:

You're right, Waterloo Quay is in no way just a wind tunnel of road and buildings. And the streets of Wellington certainly weren't massive and wide enough to hold a V8 Supercar race in the CBD, something that Auckland never managed.

Don't walk along Waterloo quay you dumb berk, the waterfront is just over there and is a beautiful pedestrian-highway

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I didn't know mods could get Big Red Titles

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Gareth Hughes grew a Riker Beard and by gum he's going to use it!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I like the dildo drop at the end

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Because you linked m.youtube, not normal youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ0W6YRez74

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Post them

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Not to mention that he has investigate journalists working with him to protect him

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I went there, I don't recognise the principal's name so I guess that changed. Either way there didn't use to be any blazer or tie, except for when you represented the school externally, and you would just borrow a blazer from the school for that day.

It used to just be a polo shirt, and a sweater for winter. And it's West loving Auckland anyway so why are they even pretending?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's a great way to teach kids about the stupidity of authority figures

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Lancelot posted:

I feel like we have to wait until Charles becomes King before we vote to become a republic. Lizzy is too popular and lots of kiwis feel a connection to her, but Charles is a weird old English dude and I wouldn't be surprised for that to be the trigger for us to become a republic.

Plot Twist: Lizzy outlives him and he never becomes king, William becomes the next monarch and people tend to like him.

I'd bet :20bux: on that happening, Charles looks like poo poo these days, the Queen looks pretty healthy still.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I imagine there's a whole bunch of legislation that mentions "The Crown" so any move to be a republic would just involve an act that says "Any instance of "The Crown" gets replaced with "The New Zealand Government"" and that'll be the end of it.

In saying that, there's a Maori guy on my facebook friends list who's a die hard monarchist, anti-republican, and National party supporter, who cites the Treaty being an agreement with the crown as one of the main reasons he's a monarchist. Weird guy.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

That's some good headlining there NZHerald.

klen dool posted:

I didn't vote FOR the current flag, I voted AGAINST the proposed new flag. I bet a lot of votes were like that. The reporting and even jk's "people voted for the current flag" stance is irritating.

And yeah this. I thought the new flag would have looked good

on fire

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Jacobin posted:

Yes- I was hoping people had curated some they have seen and post them here.

So far Ive just read one person talk about "You know, at the next olympics, the REAL symbol of our country most of our athletes will be wearing" yes the silver fern the one they have been using for decades now

Yes, but that silver fern will likely be part of a real design, and not awkwardly shoe horned into a flag.

Because it's a logo, and flags aren't logos.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

It really is uncanny

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

How can you get diversion when he's already been convicted of crimes before? (Contempt of court over breaching name suppression, right?)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Earthquakes: Not in New Zealand!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Jacobin posted:

Its a two anniversary of my brain not being broke after many days awake and finally getting some meds to sleep and keep an even keel to try and live a good life.

I can only nod to you, unfortunately obviously mentally ill man with menacing apparent farm-bombtruck, and hope you don't do anything dumb and get some help.

There's apparently an extra $12 million in this budget for mental health services. I have no idea how that compares to the current funding, but the display outside of parliament at the time is pretty damning.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Binkenstein posted:

Pop quiz: guess who said this, and when:

Answer: It's John Key from a speech in 2007 http://www.nzpif.org.nz/news/view/53038

Where his solution appears to be "Get rid of all that compliance red tape" immediately after the leaky homes crisis

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The shooter wasn't an immigrant. Good work, Winston.

He knows, he's literally asking for immigration screening to cover the political beliefs and mental health of any future children you might have

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The thing with secondary tax is that those impacted by it are also unlikely to have an in depth knowledge of the tax code and taxation system. They just know what comes into their bank account each week. They may have no idea how to claim a tax refund, or even know that they should be doing that. And this is why you see a proliferation of lovely tax refund companies who then take a cut for literally filling out the same tax form you could for free, if you knew it existed.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This is also why I'm generally against any sort of system that involves getting a rebate from the government after the fact. Very few people will ever know such a rebate exists, and you end up with the tax clusterfuck of the USA, who'll often point out all these wonderful rebates the poor could potentially receive, but the reality is they're not, because they don't have tax accountants to tell them they can.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

echinopsis posted:

And I get that too, but perhaps I am just not imaginative enough to see what better options there are, given a progressive tax scheme. Because when I say that, secondary tax prevent tax bills at the end of the year and you can avoid secondary tax if you put time in. Ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking the law either..

IRD should get the same advertising budget as those lovely tax refund companies.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Wellington would own if the nightlife wasn't 90% based around dumb vomiting 18 year olds, boring 30-something suits talking about IPAs, and drunk bogans from Masterton having a night out in the 'big smoke'.

Who else is there in this country?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Nothing, those are 5 straight lines with nothing but statistical noise. It's depressing how little those polls shift, at all, ever.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
What the gently caress is this? Why are you having dumb arguments over nothing? The USPol thread is not this thread go have your stupid argument there. Discuss NZ politics here.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My Te Reo is terrible, someone explain the thread title because Google isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Xik posted:

Adam John HOLLAND
Auckland Legalise Cannabis

[Photo Not Supplied]
[No Statement Provided]

He DOES however have something to say about the drink driving limits:

quote:

Only a lightweight can't handle 400. I blew 1054 and felt fine - the crash wasn't even my fault and if I could relive the events, I'd have acted in exactly the same way

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11730507

He rammed a car that had two kids inside, and drove off. He sounds wonderful :allears:

• Locked thread