Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It feels like everyone I talk to about the issue is stuck in the 80s, when either they raised their kids, or when they were kids. It just never seriously occurs to them that things might actually be different for young families now, and that the kind of budgeting that worked in 1987 would fall flat on its face now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ghostlight posted:

Someone see if Simon Barnett is still alive.

I'd imagine he's too exhausted after giving his kids another thrashing.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
My experience of them in modern times has always been one of terrible customer service.

Really nothing like the electronics hobby store I remember as a child.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I doubt I'll convince anyone, but Christchurch is an exciting place to live. With the whole city undergoing an, albeit way too slow, regeneration, there's always something new that just been finished.

Better than that though is the lingering feeling of actual community that formed during the quakes. I've lived in NZ all my life, small and big centres, but I'd never experienced anything like what followed 2011. The residing effect is obviously more muted than it was directly following the quakes, but it manifests in people who are just so much more engaged and interested in the city in general.

If the rebuild wasn't such a shambles I would genuinely recommend people come and get involved.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
So this is finally getting some coverage in national news: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/health/chch-mental-health-funding-slashed-despite-overwhelming-demand/

As someone who has been the primary supporter of a family member who was among the 100% increase in suicide related incidents, I can tell you first hand that the safety net is almost utterly non-existent. It's actually quite difficult for me to go into specifics, but I felt entirely let down.

I know 14 year old kids with PTSD; and apparently 1 in 5 kids here suffer in similar ways.

And then you see this:

quote:

The government is seeking to cut funding for mental health support through DHBs, even though funding for psychological services through community agencies was recently cut from $1.6 million to $200,000. Funding for trauma counselling was halved to a little over $400,000 over the last year.

I'm mad.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think Gerry will be wishing he was made of Teflon after this:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/77147819/arrest-after-brown-substance-poured-on-gerry-brownlee-at-service

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Please let us roll higher than a 78 on at least one of these.. :comeback:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I found the subtle differences between the TV1 and TV3 stories on the TPP quite interesting, so not a complete loss.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
So did Newshub just blur someones face out at their request for privacy, then show their full name and address a few moments later?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Ugh. gently caress Oaktree Capital and the amount of power they apparently have over our national discourse.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

mirthdefect posted:

Any word on how that interacts with the Christchurch Earthquake-related mental health funding, which I think was an emergency temporary increase and has now ceased? Might not actually be a net gain as compared to last years level.

I'd be really interested to know this too.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Why exactly do we have the whole MMP thing again?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/80996883/an-extension-to-paid-parental-leave-will-be-vetoed-this-week-by-the-government

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It would appear, to me at least, that we never really left the FPP system if this is the case.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Slavvy posted:

It'll be used to drive up petrol prices.

At least it results in one long term positive then.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I see what you mean, but no, its just an entrenched industry trying to raise the bar of entry high enough that it protects some of the highest taxi rates in the world. That said, I'm sure those guys get pretty lovely wages themselves, so there isn't a clear winner.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

fong posted:

Ban the lotto imo

I don't see how this would be a bad thing.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Pokemon pretty much caused my local Ingress group to tear itself to bits, so it's not all bad ;)

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
We've got a decent place (Only had to rip out most of the carpet to get rid of the cat piss) in Chch for $250, but now it's being repaired and we're looking at at least another 50-75 a week if we don't want to live in New Brighton :cry:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I voted for John Minto, and it feels great.

It really just makes me wish all elections could be Left vs Lefter, since the discussions that come out of that kind of contest are so much more constructive than the usual Right-Left slogfest.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'd be interested to see how much Chch has diversified at the next census; the rebuild appears to have changed the demographics quite a bit, although a few of them are Brits, 2013 just seems like another lifetime here.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Binkenstein posted:

I'm not really confident in his ability to be anything other than a protester/protest vote.

To be fair, I'm not confident in Dalziel to do anything except rubber stamp central government plans to spend rate payers money at this point.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Don Brash: Still racist as all hell.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/84742581/antiseparatist-campaign-launched-against-maori-favouritism-ahead-of-2017-election

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
NZ_Media.jpg

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

it usually involves the words rape, punch, assault.

Or as Key put it today in the Newshub interview, "Bad PR".

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Is Kim Dotcom actually a Trump supporter now, or does he just see that as the best way to stay out of jail and screw the rest?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

He genuinely still does not get what a total fool he made of himself last time, does he?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think it pays to remember that as with most Green policies, it's designed to work as a part of a much larger plan. Assuming a Green government, they are suggesting that immigration numbers is one of many dials they will be tweaking to get NZ back on track; I personally don't see how racial bias comes into it.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

And yet you're blaming migrants for the housing crisis, you repulsive sack of poo poo. It figures that when the alt-right arrived in New Zealand it would be eight months late and retarded.

I do get where you're coming from, but why exactly should, when looking to solve these issues, immigration not be a 'dial' that we can alter through thoughtful discussion and consideration on the specifics?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Build more houses and crack down on property speculation imo

Which is, of course, part of that larger plan I posted about earlier. I don't think anyone here has suggested that reconsidering our immigration levels would be the only thing that needs to be done.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Within the very real constrains of the hand dealt to us by local and central government, Christchurch is already building as many houses as is reasonable, and yet property prices and rentals are out of control here, as they are elsewhere. Can someone explain to me how not bringing in thousands of extra people will do nothing to impact a rental market that is literally a whisker away from either beginning to fall, or rise, based purely on demand?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Spiteski posted:

Not politics, but does anyone else use Vodafone for their fibre/broadband and get poo poo speeds outside of NZ servers? I've gone from 5-6MB DL on steam to gently caress all but speedtest tells me local servers still give me full fibre speed. Don't feel like ringing them to be told "speed varies, tough poo poo"

I had a roughly 72 hour period of the symptoms you described a couple of weeks ago, but they did at least acknowledge there was a problem there.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Poor Kaikoura, they've got to be literally the coolest, most sustainable, forward thinking township in NZ. I really hope we can get them back on their feet asap.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Seddon needs to calm the gently caress down imo

Looking at Geonet its hard to imagine it really even stops shaking at the moment...

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I get that some people, I would say very likely not Green voters, may get immigration reform confused with an anti-immigrant platform, but does that mean we shouldn't be able to have the conversation about immigration levels at all?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Slavvy posted:

or even a tiny bit closer to being fixed.

You'll really have to explain how that works. And please, make reference to implications far border than how it will impact the Auckland housing market.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Varkk posted:

You can't solve or even alleviate it by cutting back immigration.

Can someone rationally explain this point if view please, preferably with reference to situations outside of Auckland like Christchurch?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I know this thread had to be negative, but really this changes everything and totally blows the election next year open. We don't even know why Key actually resigned yet!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
So long as it's not a formal or informal agreement with NZF, I think we're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I was more impressed with Little after I saw him speak in person, but yeah, he doesn't make great soundbites.

• Locked thread