Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
We really need a higher income tax bracket. The highest being 33% on income above $70k is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I only want waitstaff taxes to fund people with zero chance of making more money than them, like theology majors and fine art students

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeah it's really disconcerting after watching a lot of US politics to come back to NZ politics, where every speech sounds like it was given by a nervous fourth-former in english class

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
with his beard gareth morgan looks 22 rather than 16 so it's probably an improvement for him

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Can someone explain this sentence to me because I don't understand it at all

He is saying that it's ironic that left-wingers, who are usually anti-imperialists, are supporting the ensign with the Union Jack over a new flag; and that it is also ironic that Dame Jenny Shipley, former National party leader, Prime Minister, and right-winger, is supporting a change away from the current flag because of its "colonial legacy".

He isn't wrong.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Really? that's really weird you read that because what I wrote is "Is this person famous? ive never heard of her, am I out of touch?"

In a thread full of New Zealanders, talking about New Zealand topics.

How EXACTLY did I suggest I didn't think they were important to someone else but not me?
How EXACTLY is it wrong to ask "Who is this? What am I missing?"
Where EXACTLY would be better to ask these questions?

You are imaging things and making poo poo up.

Fake edit: This is why I was wondering who the hell she was:

"One of New Zealand's best-known actresses, Sophia Hawthorne, has died."
"She was twice nominated for best actress in a TV drama"
"Hawthorne comes from a family of prolific Kiwi actors and is the daughter of Elizabeth and Raymond Hawthorne"

haha, holy poo poo

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The argument I always heard for uniforms was that they equalised classes a bit because everyone had to buy the same poo poo, there was no rich kid with designer jeans and shirts. It's also easier to police for the teachers, since there's a lot less subjectivity involved when there's one official uniform.

Of course, it's all bullshit, because the poor kids have to buy third-hand uniform that is yellower than it should be and smells funny, and the rich kids get new uniforms and fancy shoes every year, and everyone knows who is who.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember Macleans banned their students from drinking out of anything that wasn't a water bottle when walking home in their school uniforms.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

A poo poo School posted:

Behaviour Outside the School
Students should always be aware of the fact that their conduct reflects upon themselves and upon the reputation of the college. Uniform should always be worn in a way that is a credit to the college. A high standard of conduct, including good speech and manners, and not eating/drinking in school uniform is expected while travelling to and from school. Macleans College students are expected to show consideration and courtesy towards younger children and adults.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Macleans is in a bit of a unique position — they have a ludicrously small zone where property prices are inflated just because of access to the school. It's all a peninsular, with the school right in the middle of it. I think they'd get visibility over most of the in-zone students on their way home, either directly or through busybody parents narking on them.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Literal entrapment would be if it was the dean who had offered the kids the cigarettes in the first place. This is just catching them in a lie.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The weird thing about both Wellington and Auckland is that they are geographically constrained — Auckland is about 10 meters wide and Wellington is surrounded by loving mountains. So you'd think it would be in both cities' interests to have high-density housing (and public transport) where space is at a premium, then have larger quarter-acre suburban places out in far-flung suburbs for families. Especially where you are projecting Auckland's population to grow by a million or so people in the next 5 years.

Instead, there are townhouses and mansions about 5 minutes' walk each way from the city centres. Why would you sell or support high-density housing, if you have a house in Mount Vic or Parnell?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
it was because of a "cannabis recovery operation". the amount of manpower the nz police seems to spend on weed is really astonishing

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like we have to wait until Charles becomes King before we vote to become a republic. Lizzy is too popular and lots of kiwis feel a connection to her, but Charles is a weird old English dude and I wouldn't be surprised for that to be the trigger for us to become a republic.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Van Dine posted:

At a glance through the info, the electorate with the biggest support for the Lockwood design was Tamaki, at 51.9%, and the lowest support for it was from Te Tai Tokerau at 21.1%.
JK popularity referendum?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
damocles, why are you worried about that sword? it hasn't fallen yet

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
haha mate it's all sophistry

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infotainment! posted:

Ivor Biggun posted:

Unrelated but I wonder what Mike Sabin is doing these days
The unwilling, I believe

:vince:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Didn't they already ban it last year? Or was that criminalising the homeless rather than those who give to them?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
in the UK (where i live now) we have:
1) a comprehensive capital gains tax at 28% on all land sales, other than the house you live in;
2) a transfer tax on buying property, which tops out at 15% for properties worth £500k or more; and
3) ATED, an annual tax on companies that own residential property, which is roughly 0.7% of the property's value each year

and land prices are still absolutely insane in london. we're all hosed.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
do the greens even need to stand someone in Auckland Central? that's what I don't get, the perception of dirty politics in stuff like the Goldsmith Epsom deal is because National ran a candidate and told people not to vote for him, but why run someone there at all when you're just hoping they get in as a list MP?

also what is newshub

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
why does winston think cattle are fourth-class citizens? does he think cows is people

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
NZ's income tax system is really simple (and quite low rates) and most of the time when i hear people complain about "secondary tax" they think they are more tax than someone who earned the same amount but only worked one job (which they don't). the people who will end up needing to claim rebates from IRD are people with patchy employment over the year — less likely uber drivers and more likely factory/dock workers on zero-hour contracts.

what really fucks the poor over in NZ is GST — rob salmond wrote a book on it

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

fong posted:

Yes, and people whose second job takes them over one of the thresholds, particularly the first two.
what thresholds?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland-2016/27-07-2016/announcing-the-war-for-auckland/

this is cool and good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
innocent, but not innocent innocent. you know.

• Locked thread