Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

old dog child posted:

Did you also commute 2 hours each way to work too? Even with a 12 hour day I'd at least be able to cook dinner or breakfast. Steak, eggs, etc. Quick and easy. Oh also if you are blessed with carnicerias nearby, buy your meat from there. Hell, cook a batch of carne asada in advance and make your own burritos before work every day.

e: just don't drink cum dude

yeah i mean i guess there are literally hours in the day left. when i first started i would have cereal, eggs, whatever for breakfast. but it's 7 days a week so pretty soon you're sleeping much closer to when you need to get to work and your motivation to spend the little time you have to yourself making food depletes quickly. it's much easier to take the attitude of, well gently caress it my blood sugar is low and dunkin is right there, just grab something on the way to work and eat it at your desk. at least for me, anyway. i know a few people enjoy cooking and managed to find the time/motivation to regularly bring in a meal, but that was never me. so soylent, marketed as a 100% nutritional meal replacement, seemed like a neat idea worth giving a shot. it still isn't that bad but i'm not entirely sure i would actually use it at work.

before my last job i worked from home and i had plenty of time to cook decent food whenever i wanted, which was pretty nice. i even had a peapod nearby so if i knew the next week was going to be tough i could just get my groceries delivered for a couple bucks. but that was definitely the exception, overall it's a line of work pretty notorious for lovely eating.

edit: i don't want to derail the thread about how hard my life is or something, just wanted to input my own particular experience with soylent. in this one very particular situation it seemed like a plus, although i remain pretty ambivalent having actually prepared it. that's my story.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This was actually a great read.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/10/east-of-palo-altos-eden/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it is actually cool to be rich and live in SF and take advantage of all the imbeciles willing to waste their money bringing beer and food to you with about a month business lifespan.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
New somoga (social-mobile-gaming) startup (!!!). Meet bemyeyes.org, the newest app to connect blind people who use smart phones (you see, smart phones are in fact perfect for blind people because they tend to be flat slabs of glass that are highly visual to interact with) with sighted (non-blind) people who use smartphones.

Oh and the sighted can rack up points and gain achievements for helping the blind. It's really the only way I could ever be convinced to help someone so I can see why they wanted to have the gamification aspect.

:negative:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Blind is a noun

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
The old me used to help the blind across the street by leading them into an open manhole or to the middle of a hedge maze. But now that I'm a level-eight Be My Eyes volunteer, I see the blind as people and not as action figures that exist for my amusement.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Until it has actual people in it, I am not interested in any possible health benefits. We have an overpopulation crisis and I want more space to drive cars really really fast.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

http://www.mattblodgett.com/2015/01/but-where-do-people-work-in-this-office.html

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Because your goal should be to chain your employees to their desk. Who cares about productivity.
Programmers to their best work on the 11th hour of the 14th straight consecutive workday. Have 5 minutes in the ballpit to reward yourself.

E: How do i get truck drivers to drive more than 100 hours per week? I have the dispatchers yell at them but they seem to pull over once they start dozing off.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Please post the source link because I want to cry some more.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hahaha holy poo poo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

yeah, i interviewed with a major SF-based startup and they listed "working in our beautiful headquarters" as a perk. of course, it's a giant multi-story open space, complete with bedroom-style offices, kitchens, etc that isn't actually big enough to accommodate the number of people they've hired recently. all i can think is, how the hell do you actually get anything done when you're trying to get work on a couch next to 3 people talking on the phone with a supplier or whatever. is a desk so terribly evil? even a cubicle would be an improvement. seems like my version of hell.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

what the gently caress is wrong with people

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

IceAgeComing posted:

i have a solution for people moaning about not being able to get food at work

its called a packed lunch

Or a lunch break.

If i'm working a 12 hour day, you can be sure two or three of those hours will be used for lunch and dinner.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish I had a source link, it was asked on Quora. I pulled it from https://twitter.com/weedguy420boner/status/555530015312330754

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
people pay me like hudnreds of dollars an hour to drink their cum, in much smaller quantities, so why would i pay to drink it??

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

sociopaths rise to the highest management positions

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

nomadologique posted:

people pay me like hudnreds of dollars an hour to drink their cum, in much smaller quantities, so why would i pay to drink it??

disrupt your market sector with

dumpstR

a social media app that quickly links suppliers with new, boutique outlets for discrete disposal

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Seemed pretty terrible and whole lotta tl;dr.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oh no they've stopped selling google glass :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30831128

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

thathonkey posted:

oh no they've stopped selling google glass :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30831128

ship completely submerged, but all is not lost

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah well i can't buy the hospital formulations of ensure, i don't want to do so, and i also don't eat with a tube down my throat.

the stuff you buy off the shelves are packed with large amounts of sugar which provide most of the calories, so for the future if i decide to get something like this for convenience (which i may or may not feel the need to) i wouldn't go with ensure, since it wouldn't really be a very big health or cost benefit.

Ensure and soylent are pretty similar in that the majority of their calories come from cornstarch and oil. Corn maltodextrin, the major carb source in soylent, is extremely digestible to the point where it's nearly identical to just eating straight glucose so either way they're loaded with cheap sugar. The sugar in Ensure is mostly to make it more palatable and possibly for texture/preservative properties.

You can buy the stuff they feed coma patients online pretty easily so long as you order in bulk (search for brand names like Jevity), or at a medical supply store. It tastes pretty gross btw but it's cheaper than soylent and probably much safer. Usually the mix is way more sophisticated, with whole protein, carbs, and mixed fats (different chain lengths) plus fiber

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 16, 2015

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

what the gently caress is wrong with people

They have classes and workshops to teach you how to turn your workplace into a cult. My boss at an old job accidentally sent me to one and it was both goofy and disturbing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Here's my pitch

chokr is a digital mobile device that operates as an activity tracker, but can also be utilized to safely and effectively practice auto-erotic asphyxiation at home or on the go. chokr will monitor your pulse rate, movement and general activity like other sleep/activity trackers already on the market, while also monitoring its own tightness to make sure that you remain on the edge of consciousness up until you reach orgasm. This dedicated device can be worn all the time to assist in keeping a healthy lifestyle, or rolled up into a canister about the size of a D-cell battery, making it highly portable and discrete. The monitoring software on our bundled app will even alert medical professionals if a sudden emergency is detected, such as tachycardia outside of a normal exercise period or arrhythmia during a choking session, making it both a life-saving and lifestyle device. Thanks to its automatic, hands-free operation, it's a perfect accessory for a man, woman or really anyone past the age of puberty. After all, who doesn't want the promise of a better, healthier life and mind blowing orgasms?

give me money.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm studying computer science atm and my teachers and companies I talk to keep telling me about the Internet of Things and the Networked Society like it's the greatest most revolutionary poo poo ever and it still sounds like the stupidest bullshit possible, why would I want every bit of garbage in my home to be connected to the internet?? that's my techculture story

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when i want to drink gallons of cum i just go to certain local public conveniences. #lifehacks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wired upper management gets meltdown over their employee's filthy workplace:
http://www.theawl.com/2015/01/re-new-wired-offices

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"Hurfdurf eating food with flavor and texture is hard so I'm gonna drink some powdered garbage" - someone who will never date anyone again

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

right, ensure at the store is lot different than what hospitals feed to like, coma patients and poo poo. it's intended to basically be the cheapest way possible to deliver calories, which is essentially sugar with some vitamins thrown in. again, when i ordered i didn't know ensure was a thing but i probably would have gotten the soylent anyway (not knowing it would take literally months for it to arrive) since it covered basic nutrition better and that was the whole point.

lol he has no idea what he's talking about but he acts like he does

classic goon

you literally think they feed coma patients ensure rather than giving them nutrients through an IV

you are mindblowingly stupid

wont even touch the rest of the stupid things you hold as facts lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i don't disagree, they seem like a fly-by-night operation so for all i know i ingested rat poo poo. i actually kind of expected something to be overtly wrong with the order, but i guess i didn't get sick so it couldn't have been too terrible. unless it's chock full of arsenic and asbestos, in which case i guess i'll find out in like 15 years that i was poisoned by soylent. what a way to die.

alright. I respect your not give a gently caress attitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

etalian posted:

It's the home of world-changing journalism.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's the home of world-changing journalism.

Look at what passion tech journalism inspires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0D4avXwMmM

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm the 360° ad for a fuckin' beer cooler. changing the goddamn worl

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

2010's 24 year old tech wiz and his college buddies sleeping in their office in hoodies playing WOW are going to be 2016's post IPO business casual stainless steel office space condo owner who fires people for pizza stains, are going to be 2020's 40 year old suit wearing divorced second marriage new parent executive who won't even interact with the new 20 year olds (doing the actual work) who sit bolt upright in identical cubicals in starched white shirt and tie outfits just watch

Haha kidding 97% of these companies won't exist that long

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't like putting my wifi password in my phone, i def don't want to put it in my toaster.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

lol he has no idea what he's talking about but he acts like he does

classic goon

you literally think they feed coma patients ensure rather than giving them nutrients through an IV

you are mindblowingly stupid

wont even touch the rest of the stupid things you hold as facts lol

well enteral nutrition is usually preferred to parenteral nutrition, as the latter tends to give you liver disease. also it's way, way more expensive.

its basically a tube they stick up your nose and into your stomach, vs. iv where it's a tube stuck right next to your heart

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A highly advanced AI drawing a 240 V current to power its logic circuits, but it is obsessed with toast and wants to tell you all about it every time you're in the kitchen

Actually gently caress that it's on the WiFi, it's gonna be posting toast pictures to your wall and texting you with hot toast tips all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah, i interviewed with a major SF-based startup and they listed "working in our beautiful headquarters" as a perk. of course, it's a giant multi-story open space, complete with bedroom-style offices, kitchens, etc

company towns lol

except this time around they've convinced the employees they are libertarian supermen so not only do they not think about worker's rights and poo poo they actively enjoy their 'perks'

• Locked thread