Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

etalian posted:

Wired upper management gets meltdown over their employee's filthy workplace:
http://www.theawl.com/2015/01/re-new-wired-offices

yep, i too want an office where people treat their workspaces as if it's their basement den

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
top rated comment re: that app for blind people to get assistance.

good idea. better to monetize it though.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
helping people? nah gently caress that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

company towns lol

except this time around they've convinced the employees they are libertarian supermen so not only do they not think about worker's rights and poo poo they actively enjoy their 'perks'

SF owns since it went from counter-culture to corporate culture

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
blind dude wants to know what the expiration date on his milk is? that'll be 5.00$

hey man, app developer gotta eat too

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

lol he has no idea what he's talking about but he acts like he does

classic goon

you literally think they feed coma patients ensure rather than giving them nutrients through an IV

you are mindblowingly stupid

wont even touch the rest of the stupid things you hold as facts lol

classic goon

you literally think they feed coma patients by giving them nutrients through an IV as opposed to ensure like products through a nasogastric tube terminating in the stomach or duodenum?

you are mindblowingly stupid.

Total Parenteral Nutrition is typically used only for those who's GI tract is unusable typically due to major abdominal surgery. Besides being stupidly expensive TPN has complications such as sepsis(a central venous catheter full of "food" is a great breeding ground) and liver dysfunction. The only major complication of tube feeding into the stomach is diarrhea as there is no bulk to it.

Source: I do this poo poo for a living.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Why even involve my mouth when I can have doctors implant a little portal direct to my tummy?

Now I can never be interrupted by meals and continue forever talking about how great Ruby on Rails is to my angel investors

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

Dely Apple posted:

Why even involve my mouth when I can have doctors implant a little portal direct to my tummy?

Now I can never be interrupted by meals and continue forever talking about how great Ruby on Rails is to my angel investors

No they do that after a bit when it turns out the tube feeding is gonna be long term. It's called a G-Tube (G for Gastric)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I think I'd like this more than soylent but it's still gently caress off expensive
http://mealsquares.com

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al Cowens posted:

I think I'd like this more than soylent but it's still gently caress off expensive

lol

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Bum the Sad posted:

No they do that after a bit when it turns out the tube feeding is gonna be long term. It's called a G-Tube (G for Gastric)

Yeah, I have a friend whose child had to have one placed for quality of life purposes. Poor poor kid.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

On a lighter note, why don't we sell solid soylent and call it Lembas bread and sell it to LOTR nerdos?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Al Cowens posted:

the nutritional content on those looks pretty agreeable, depending on how they taste they might actually be nicer to have around than granola bars or nuts for snacking

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dely Apple posted:

On a lighter note, why don't we sell solid soylent and call it Lembas bread and sell it to LOTR nerdos?

would probably be a big hit with the Palantir nerds.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Bum the Sad posted:

classic goon

you literally think they feed coma patients by giving them nutrients through an IV as opposed to ensure like products through a nasogastric tube terminating in the stomach or duodenum?

you are mindblowingly stupid.

Total Parenteral Nutrition is typically used only for those who's GI tract is unusable typically due to major abdominal surgery. Besides being stupidly expensive TPN has complications such as sepsis(a central venous catheter full of "food" is a great breeding ground) and liver dysfunction. The only major complication of tube feeding into the stomach is diarrhea as there is no bulk to it.

Source: I do this poo poo for a living.

doing this for a living actually makes you least qualified to handle this topic in the startup world

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Dely Apple posted:

Sadly this happens quite frequently with autistic and otherwise developmentally delayed kids. A lot of times they straight up refuse to eat or only eat THE ONE THING to the exclusion of all others. There are actually feeding clinics across the country where speech and other therapists work for years with kids to get them to eat. A separate issue are kids and adults who cannot functionally swallow. They all get the g-tube or other device and can live for years on the feedings.

This is what gets me with these companies. They think they've come up with a solution to a problem and want to be hailed as the next incarnation of Jobs/Gates/Carnegie/Rockefeller. Inevitably the problem is either:

A.) So laughably a middle to upper class minor annoyance (see quarter delivery service)
B.) Already pretty well solved by existing technology (soylent)

There have been amazing leaps in technology in the past 50 years. Hell, there are now handheld portable ultrasounds that are being given and taught to rural midwives in 3rd world countries to help lower the infant mortality rate. We essentially put HIV on the list of extremely treatable diseases in 15 -20 years. I don't know what turns a curious, driven kid from those problems to poopr the app that rates bathrooms, but here we are.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Id say the big problem is probably that rich ivy league 20-somethings are usually arrogant sheltered boobs who are totally ignorant of the world but too proud to try and learn feom others

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I guess we're finally heading to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-o7YG3x0DI

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tarkus posted:

I guess we're finally heading to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-o7YG3x0DI

lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why dont rich people all fly away to their magical floating island or something? why do they stay on this plane hassling us mortals with their weird bullshit?

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
"WIRED is no longer a pirate ship. It’s the home of world-changing journalism. It’s the West Coast home of Condé Nast."

Hahah corporate culture is some lol poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rodnik posted:

"WIRED is no longer a pirate ship. It’s the home of world-changing journalism. It’s the West Coast home of Condé Nast."

Hahah corporate culture is some lol poo poo.

east coast lets them know who is the real master.

turning the office into a filthy hipster hangout is verboten

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

etalian posted:

east coast lets them know who is the real master.

turning the office into a filthy hipster hangout is verboten

You know it's sad but one of the main reasons I still post here is it's one of the only communities that hasn't been bought out by Conde Nast and co. Glad we never made it to primetime. Keep the lols comin gang.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rodnik posted:

You know it's sad but one of the main reasons I still post here is it's one of the only communities that hasn't been bought out by Conde Nast and co. Glad we never made it to primetime. Keep the lols comin gang.

The management also banned having family photos in the office.

I guess they don't want to feel guilty when they fire people?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

We all treasure our photos of loved ones. Mementos of personal accomplishment. I encourage you to proudly display a few small items at your desk because our workspace reflects who we are. It reflects our values.

He's so close to prescribing pieces of flair.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Having an overly organized and spotless desk would be distracting because that's just not how I operate. Organized chaos is my style and I know plenty of others who are the same.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
I grew up in newsrooms and I have never seen a good journalist with a tidy desk, not once.

naem
May 29, 2011

*hipster tech culture morphs inexorably into 1960's suit and tie IBM*

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mange Mite posted:

Ensure and soylent are pretty similar in that the majority of their calories come from cornstarch and oil. Corn maltodextrin, the major carb source in soylent, is extremely digestible to the point where it's nearly identical to just eating straight glucose so either way they're loaded with cheap sugar. The sugar in Ensure is mostly to make it more palatable and possibly for texture/preservative properties.

You can buy the stuff they feed coma patients online pretty easily so long as you order in bulk (search for brand names like Jevity), or at a medical supply store. It tastes pretty gross btw but it's cheaper than soylent and probably much safer. Usually the mix is way more sophisticated, with whole protein, carbs, and mixed fats (different chain lengths) plus fiber

interesting. i don't really want to have an ensure vs soylent fight because 1. i'm not really that invested in the argument and 2. the sum total of nutritional knowledge i've retained over the years is mostly "eat more vegetables." (and because some goons will read that literally: this is a joke) my understanding has been that ensure isn't far off from soda in sugar content because basically every food marketed to consumers has to be loaded in that or salt. however, i did not realize maltodextrin's was absorbed so easily into the bloodstream, so it may not be all that different. obviously a major life goal of mine is to avoid type 2 diabetes. (this is also a joke. i am not at risk of type 2 diabetes as far as i know.) still, from the nutritional labels alone soylent appears to have substantial advantages over regular ensure. but again, i'm not really an expert and nutritional labels can be misleading.

the only advantage ensure offers at that point, if they're both fairly equivalent in nutrition and composition (i don't know if this is actually the case) is that it's made by an actual real food company so i'd probably assume the risk of rats peeing on a bag of flour is substantially lower. well, also it's slightly less work since i only need to run to the store to purchase a pile of them and then i'm set.

i had thought jevity was more expensive, but i don't really care because i don't consider comafood an option. i never wanted to replace my diet with either soylent, ensure, or any other product. i just wanted to get a meal that is as nutritionally complete as possible in as convenient a form as possible. realistically if i end up in the situation i had with my last job again (and hopefully i will not) then maybe the occasional ensure might not be a bad option. ideally it will not be as tough as the last one re: how often i can get real food so the entire thing isn't necessary.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Al Cowens posted:

modern hardtack?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jimlit posted:

modern hardtack?

I was thinking dog biscuits. Dog work 16 hour day, do good, dog get biscuit. Dog not do so good, dog still get biscuit, but no mention during keynote speech for weekly Zen paintball team-building exercise.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Check-in didn't pass code review. Get in the crate.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Al Cowens posted:

it's san francisco Calorie Mate

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Aren't flavorless food squares/paste a key part of pretty much every sci-fi dystopia story?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

My company is reconfiguring the entire office from 6 foot cubes to 4 foot cubes and adding a lot more glass instead of drywall. I'm sitting in one of the new areas now and it's actually pretty great because there is a lot more light but I still have a cubicle desk where I can do work.

I do not understand how people get any work done in those open office playpens.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I was thinking it's like that NutriLoaf poo poo they feed to prisoners who need even more punishment.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
The loving price on those squares. Or is it only me who things 30 of those are not worth ninety loving dollars.

What the gently caress is wrong with you, America San Francisco?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Rodnik posted:

I grew up in newsrooms and I have never seen a good journalist with a tidy desk, not once.

did you hide in the airducts or were you a little urchin that they used to clean the newsroom chimney

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

plain blue jacket posted:

did you hide in the airducts or were you a little urchin that they used to clean the newsroom chimney

I was guessing anthropomorphic typewriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wafflz posted:

Aren't flavorless food squares/paste a key part of pretty much every sci-fi dystopia story?

Yes

• Locked thread