Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and don't forget the other nest product, the smoke detector that disables itself and ceases to sound an alarm if people move around in front of it too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Sagebrush posted:

and don't forget the other nest product, the smoke detector that disables itself and ceases to sound an alarm if people move around in front of it too much

didn't it also mistake smoke/flames as people waving their arms or something

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought it worked as it was supposed to but someone decided that the whole idea was unsafe

e: yep http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Nest-Labs-Recalls-to-Repair-Nest-Protect-Smoke-CO-Alarms/

quote:

Hazard:
Activity near the product during a fire can prevent the alarm from immediately sounding when the Nest Wave feature is enabled.

e2: according to nest themselves it was too easy to activate

quote:

During internal testing, we discovered that movements near Nest Protect that are not intended as a wave can be misinterpreted by the Nest Wave algorithm. If this occurs during a fire, this could delay the alarm going off. So, we have removed this feature.

which is a shame because it's the only thing I can think of that would make me buy an expensive smoke alarm

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 17, 2015

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

poty posted:

reminder that tony fadell is the guy who lobbied so hard to put the clickwheel ipod os on the iphone that he got fired over it
isn't the clickwheel ipod os descended from the newton os

edit: absolutely not

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 17, 2015

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

theadder posted:

is it rly 30 mins

yeah it's really bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I thought it worked as it was supposed to but someone decided that the whole idea was unsafe

e: yep http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Nest-Labs-Recalls-to-Repair-Nest-Protect-Smoke-CO-Alarms/

e2: according to nest themselves it was too easy to activate

which is a shame because it's the only thing I can think of that would make me buy an expensive smoke alarm

i saw an expensive one at the store the other day. it was smaller and more compact, and not cheap and plastic looking, and it said it had a 10 year life or something

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

the 10 year battery is a legal requirement now, all of them have it. the sensors are only rated for 10 years art the end you chuck it out

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

it's really awkward to wear with glasses and then that wink sensor thing doesn't work.

also what's wrong with they first guys face. jeeeeez.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

everything about Google glass is awkward from the way it looks to the UI to the people who wore it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
tired of millenials always complaining about being bored and underpaid??? lets gameify the gently caress out of everything. lets do it. lets use glass to make that real.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
tired of ur children investigating the world around them when u bring them in public??? sucks that you cant just strap an ipad to their face, huh???

wrong, fucko

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
ugh finding movies is such a pain these days. if only you could look at a movie poster that you have framed on your wall, and then you could be watching that movie!!!! or maybe just a trailer of it, idk.

anyway the cool part is that google glass makes it easy to find your movies so that you can just worry about sitting down and looking at a large screen

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
watching the big game, huh???? what if it were really big, and we let u take photos of the action on the screen and maybe buy shoes????

and check it - holochess on ur table

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
trouble falling asleep??? just look at this nightmare of pulsing, throbbing insanity that wont work for war amps

and some other fuckery

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
not sure where you got these kirk but pretty sure that leaking blueprints of future torture devices is a federal offense

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

glass gets man shot in south central

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

im the beats audio in a patent diagram

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kirk posted:

trouble falling asleep??? just look at this nightmare of pulsing, throbbing insanity that wont work for war amps

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i havnet seen idiocracy still and the kind of people who were always quoting it put me further off but maybe it's ok?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
no it sucks and is a ham-fisted attempt to make nerds feel superior

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

don't watch it and think "hmm this is a piece of social commentary that i should try and find relevance in" and you should be ok

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Kirk posted:

watching the big game, huh???? what if it were really big, and we let u take photos of the action on the screen and maybe buy shoes????

and check it - holochess on ur table

lol yes I need to buy professional football cleats so I can be like my favorite football players

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

heh, as if i need a movie for that

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i havnet seen idiocracy still and the kind of people who were always quoting it put me further off but maybe it's ok?

its about as good as a comedy movie gets these days

the overall plot and social commentary are not great but it has a lot of little sadly prophetic moments like that that are all anyone remembers about it anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the recurring jokes about the sports drink that has replaced water in every use and is killing all the crops.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the first time i seen idiocracy was one night me and 4 or 5 friends were in an xbox live party talking, one of us saw the movie was on and convinced the rest to watch. it was magical

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kirk posted:

President Comacho loving owns

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

three seashells

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
*comes from behind you and does the goatse gesture, thus making glass burn it into your retina permanently (i did a second gesture that hacks the brightness)*

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
ar will be really good when your telephone can do ~200ms latency non networked natural language processing and can dynamically generate content based on real time video processing and then stream a 60fps hud to continuously passively charged full field of vision glasses

2055 is going to be huge for finding gerald

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i agree with that except stereoscopic contacts bc gently caress wearing glasses

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
i don't want anything like that unless i can connect it directly to my brain

if i could connect it directly to my brain i still wouldn't want it, but for different reasons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glass but for my ears

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i want to try google glass

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

it's really awkward to wear with glasses and then that wink sensor thing doesn't work.

also what's wrong with they first guys face. jeeeeez.
allergy/condition/bad hygiene and/or combination of any of thereof

• Locked thread