Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
VanZant/Namajunas is definitely a strong contender for this year's Carla Esparza Memorial Beatdown of the Year Award. But also so is Esparza/Joanna. Tough year for beatdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Adding the turd of a Gonzaga fight that just happened to the worst fight list

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Worst gonzaga v russian guy

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

VanZant/Namajunas is definitely a strong contender for this year's Carla Esparza Memorial Beatdown of the Year Award. But also so is Esparza/Joanna. Tough year for beatdowns.

Pretty sure Hunt/Miocic has it on lock

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fentry posted:

Adding the turd of a Gonzaga fight that just happened to the worst fight list

I'd agree but I'm uncomfortable labelling it a fight, terrible or otherwise

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Barboza / Ferguson foty

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

Barboza / Ferguson foty

Some of the good fights this year are so good that I feel like the category needs subdivision somehow so they can all get permanent acknowledgement as totally loving owning.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CommonShore posted:

Some of the good fights this year are so good that I feel like the category needs subdivision somehow so they can all get permanent acknowledgement as totally loving owning.

Isn't that what the "we the fans are the real winners" category is for?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Koty: frankie edgar vs chad mendes

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Round of the year Maia vs Nelson round 1, ufc 194

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

KO OTY: Aldo\McGregor, UFC 194. Probably should be nominated for ROTY too.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 13, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

NuclearPotato posted:

KO OTY: Aldo\McGregor, UFC 194

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

There should be a new award for punch of the year and its that one.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Can we nominate herb deens non stoppage during Rockman Weidman for worst refereeing decision

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

LionYeti posted:

Can we nominate herb deens non stoppage during Rockman Weidman for worst refereeing decision

You can nominate it but this is not even close to the worst thing this year, especially since you gotta give people in title fights a little more leeway

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

You can nominate it but this is not even close to the worst thing this year, especially since you gotta give people in title fights a little more leeway

It could have been stopped, but a) Weidman was blocking quite a few of them and was still reacting as if he had his wits about him, and b) Dean stopped it 4 strikes in the next time Rockhold got the same position.

Letting Jacare come out for the second after he stumbled back to his corner was a worse call, and nobody's complaining about that one.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Downer of the Year: UFC 194

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Best post-fight interview:

Nate Diaz, UFC on Fox 17

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ditch posted:

Best post-fight interview:

Nate Diaz, UFC on Fox 17

It's this one

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

The Duck of Death posted:

Pretty sure Hunt/Miocic has it on lock

I dunno man. I mean, it was a beatdown and a half but so was Rose vs. PVZ. They're pretty much a wash imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MacDougall posted:

I dunno man. I mean, it was a beatdown and a half but so was Rose vs. PVZ. They're pretty much a wash imo.

Hunt / miocic had heartbreak factor. I will never watch that again. But I could see myself rewatching the rose fight.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I would agree with that. But without the Hunt=love factor I still call them even beatdowns.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hunt was ugly, brutal and kind of stupid. Thug/Van Zant was a better watch and a more interesting match.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Make Hunt-Miocic a referee incompetence fight. Hunt-Miocic should have been stopped 10 minutes earlier. Or something. I'm not going to rewatch it to figure out when it should have been stopped.

in other words, I agree that "beatdown of the year" should be entertaining, not awful. It's really only an award-worthy beatdown if someone is hanging in there a bit and still getting poo poo beaten despite their best efforts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That was Paige/Thugrose. Full credit to Paige for lasting as long as she did, but she managed zero effective offense in that fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I agree with beat down of the year being Namajunas/VanZant because just thinking about Hunt/Miocic makes me sad.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Hey folks.

I'll be putting the year end awards thread up no later than January 10th. Maybe way before that, but I just wanted to post some sort of due date so I can pressure myself into getting the thread up.

I started making the Google Forms. Will check back in here just to make sure I have everything ya'll want to vote on before putting the thread up.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Hey Fentry, you wanna make a 2016 one? Round of the Year has to go to Lawler vs Condit round 5

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Hey Fentry, you wanna make a 2016 one? Round of the Year has to go to Lawler vs Condit round 5
Definitely this, and I will forget it happened in 2016 363 days from now.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I'll put up a new one soon with Lawler vs Condit already filled in

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
gently caress Round of the Year that was Fight of the Year unless Lawler beats it. Lawler fights man. loving hell.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fentry posted:

I'll put up a new one soon with Lawler vs Condit already filled in

good man, but when do we vote?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

good man, but when do we vote?

HulkaMatt posted:

Hey folks.

I'll be putting the year end awards thread up no later than January 10th. Maybe way before that, but I just wanted to post some sort of due date so I can pressure myself into getting the thread up.

I started making the Google Forms. Will check back in here just to make sure I have everything ya'll want to vote on before putting the thread up.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KO of the Year: Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia, Punch, UFC 190

I mean yeah Bethe was a can, but drat that was an incredible/hilarious/memorable KO.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If it's not too late, I'd like to add the Reebok deal to the comedy award.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Here's the current rundown. Is there anything else I should add? I took out Twitter Account.

01.) Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
02.) Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter (3 Votes)
03.) Fight of the Year (3 Votes)
04.) Performance of the Year (3 Votes)
05.) Knockout of the Year (3 Votes)
06.) Submission of the Year (3 Votes)
07.) Best Major Show (3 Votes)
08.) Worst Major Show (3 Votes)
09.) Round of the Year (3 Votes)
10.) Breakout Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
11.) Most Improved (3 Votes)
12.) Upset of the Year (3 Votes)
13.) The Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year (3 Votes)
14.) The Cecil Peoples Award for Judging Incompetence (1 Vote)
15.) Best Division (1 Vote)
16.) The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision (1 Vote)
17.) Dumbest Career Move (1 Vote)
18.) The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence (1 Vote)
19.) Best Post-Fight Interview (1 Vote)
20.) Most Overhyped/Underperformed (1 Vote)
21.) The Yoel Romero's Poop Stained Shorts Award for Comedy in MMA (1 Vote)

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 9, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is the actual form up somewhere?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hang on votes have been happening?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Jesus Christ, look 4 posts above, things start on the 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

So wait is that the amount of votes we get? Like we pick first second and third?

• Locked thread