Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, hypothetical Oscar question for y'all:

All of the categories at the Oscars are not separated by gender, with the exception of the acting categories. This gets me wondering, how often would a woman win a theoretical Best Lead/Best Supporting Performance award, if one existed instead of the separated ones? Hell, how often would there be an all male shut out?

Is Julianne Moore's performance this year on par with Michael Keaton's? Would Meryl Streep still be setting all kinds of records for nominations? For my money, I bet Jean Dujardin would have lost to Streep (in Iron Lady), and I would hope that Natalie Portman would have taken it to Colin Firth in 2010, but beyond that, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

meristem posted:

Why the gently caress Imitation Game for Best Picture? Everything I've read about the movie is about how hilariously wrong it is on all accounts (nothing about the movie itself).

As a latent Pole, what are Ida's chances?

Because Imitation Game is a Very Important Film about gayness.

I haven't seen Foxcatcher, but it weirds me out that it got a Director, both male acting and a script nod, but no loving best picture. Instead best picture is full of Very Important Films.

And Ida got very good chances of winning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know about Imitation Game not deserving of Best Picture, but American Sniper for sure doesn't belong. Instead of American Sniper, I feel like Interstellar should be in its place.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

In the end who gives a gently caress about the oscars.

This that academy just put the nail in their coffin. They are now to old to be relevant to anyone under 40. There are not enough 20 something hosts they can hire to fix old people voting.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Trump posted:

Because Imitation Game is a Very Important Film about gayness.

In that very special way that Oscar loves, the old bigot: in that it has a historical figure who did an Important Thing who a) happened to be gay, and b) faced suffering because of it, but more or less completely glosses over everything important about that suffering* in favor of what Really Matters, which is, to whit, "Nazis suck and we should all band together to blow them up." And of course, it has Benedict Cumberbatch, who is a Famous Actor who Tests Well (and might have done a really good job if he weren't laden with all sorts of weird tics and traits and some of the worst "Asperger syndrome" stereotypes I've ever seen).

Although I am kinda happy about Kiera Knightly's nomination, though; she was a lot of fun to watch.

But yeah, Selma was kickass in all the best ways and deserved to have a nom for Director and Actor, at least. The fact that Ralph Fiennes and Jake Gyllenhaal also didn't get actor nods makes my soul cry. But hey, I'll probably still watch in case something cool or hilarious happens, like always.

*namely, the fact that Alan Turing was forced by the government he served to choose between chemical castration and prison time when he was outed, eventually driving him to suicide through taking cyanide, but that's ok because the Queen pardoned him postumously 15 years later.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like a real boring nomination list, I had stupidly hoped that The One I Love would be somewhere there but oh well, guess it's just an indie. Lackluster movie year for me personally but having Steve Carrell, Bradley Cooper, and Michael Keaton all in the Best Actor category is amusing and I hope Keaton actually wins.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

meristem posted:

As a latent Pole, what are Ida's chances?

Current bookies favourite, although it's pretty drat close between it and Leviathan (Russia). None of the other 3 likely to challenge them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress everything if Kayuga doesn't win best animated, but it'll probably be another Disney jelqfest.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

." And of course, it has Benedict Cumberbatch, who is a Famous Actor who Tests Well (and might have done a really good job if he weren't laden with all sorts of weird tics and traits and some of the worst "Asperger syndrome" stereotypes I've ever seen).
They wouldn't have had a reason to hire Benedict Cumberbatch then!!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Which awards ceremonies have a decent nomination list this year?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Which awards ceremonies have a decent nomination list this year?

The Spirit Awards are usually on point.

http://www.spiritawards.com/nominees/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There seems to be confusion about how the Oscars work in this thread.

1) Studios lobby to get certain movies attention via the Oscars. The send out a ton of screeners and attempt to advertise/influence votes in various ways for nominations. An Oscar nod = a financial boost.

2) Peers are eligible to nominate per category. So, actors vote for actors, composers for composers, and so forth.

3) See one again, once nominations are done, only lobbying for winning votes.

4) The Academy as a whole decides the winners. So, for instance, I'm not SAG even though I've had small speaking parts on TV and a lot of stand in work in film, and my (other) film work has been contracted in as opposed to direct hire. So, I can't vote on winners. Meanwhile, I have a friend who was on off Broadway plays and had a recurring role in a background part in a soap opera that knows poo poo about film that's SAG, and gets a vote. And always votes terribly (She doesn't even understand what cinematography is, and will just vote for the movie she likes best for cinematography, for instance).

So, basically, a nomination is a "win" because at least it's your peers voting for you - but if your studio isn't pushing you at all, you're poo poo out of luck. Once it gets to the wide Academy, you have a bunch of old people and people who don't know what the gently caress voting, and it doesn't matter at all outside of profiting/popularity contest.

It's still better than the Golden Globes, which are basically just a bunch of suck up nobodies that had enough money to create an awards show that they use to suck up to famous people and managed to create a circular looping "brand" that self promotes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Oscars seem totally irrelevant until you realize it's a massive PR/financing event and that is the basis of its relevance. Every year at the Oscars there are several blatantly atrocious nominations and wins.

Culturally, the Golden Globes have become the "Fun Oscars" where the winners don't particularly matter but maybe if you get nominated you will get nominated for an Oscar too. The Globes have certainly become the more entertaining awards show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And that's because most of them are drunk as gently caress which owns.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Oscars are the second best definition of "Industry Awards" as opposed to what they claim to be, "Film Awards."

The best example is The Grammys which are an absolute joke to everyone.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

At least when it comes to television, the Globes are better than the Emmy's since they're willing to recognise new or different shows rather than the same fetid poo poo year after year to the point where the winners are starting to complain (BIG BANG THEORY)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great Moments in Oscar History: Alfred Hitchcock's honorary award
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DitE_e3VDMk

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

I said come in! posted:

Selma getting snubbed hardcore seems to be getting a lot of talk. No reason to not nominate Ava DuVernay for best director when the movie has a best picture nomination. Hollywood (and society in general), really likes to erase the work that people of color do, even more so if it comes from a woman.

My probably unpopular opinions are Birdman for best picture, Michael Keaton for Birdman, Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl because she kills Neil Patrick Harris in it, Emma Stone for Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel for best Screenplay because I get a hard-on for Wes Anderson films, Interstellar for visual effects, and Big Hero 6 for best animated film (seriously tho, where's Lego Movie??? It would have to be a coin toss for me to decide between the two). I don't care about the rest.

Thanks for the Gone Girl spoiler in service of a lovely joke. Much appreciated.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

meristem posted:

Why the gently caress Imitation Game for Best Picture? Everything I've read about the movie is about how hilariously wrong it is on all accounts (nothing about the movie itself).

I'm not surprised to see it get a Best Picture nod, though the Best Director nomination for Morten Tyldum is galling to me in ways I can't fully articulate.

In addition to the general nomination/voting process Darko mentioned, it's worth noting that Imitation Game is a Weinstein Company release. So it gets to take advantage of the same marketing machine that brought us all the other stupid overwrought awards-bait of the last decade.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cacator posted:

At least when it comes to television, the Globes are better than the Emmy's since they're willing to recognise new or different shows rather than the same fetid poo poo year after year to the point where the winners are starting to complain (BIG BANG THEORY)

For television, yes, for the industry, it means absolutely poo poo outside of marketing for the brand, since you know that the people who are voting for you know even less than your peers about the medium.

The critics awards are the ones you kind of care about for the art; the Grammys/Academy for the notoriety and pedigree, the Globes for "well, I can use these to promote myself!"

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm not very well known with animation, but is there a specific reason that the Lego movie was not included, tied to it's animation?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Acht posted:

I'm not very well known with animation, but is there a specific reason that the Lego movie was not included, tied to it's animation?

Other than the specific reason that the Academy is dumb and bad, no. The rule is 75% animated which it easily passed, they just didn't nominate it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Great Moments in Oscar History: Alfred Hitchcock's honorary award
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DitE_e3VDMk

If people have videos or insider knowledge or cool Oscar trivia that would be great, I doubt we can all talk about how much we hate the Oscars for too long just like every year.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Who wants so see something sad (surprised this hasn't been posted yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTWqLmnjt0

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Acht posted:

It probably wasn't promoted hard enough by the studio, and didn't fulfill the "artsy underdog" status of the more non mainstream ones generally included.

edit: It also came out early, so it didn't have huge momentum/memory. If something comes out early, you need a big push to get it noticed during awards season.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 16, 2015

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder how much of this is real. I've seen Force Majeure, and the tone is very similar to certain scenes out of that film.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgrxvTdl-Q

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Coaaab posted:

I wonder how much of this is real. I've seen Force Majeure, and the tone is very similar to certain scenes out of that film.

Yeah it occurred to me that it might be fake but it's probably still kind of sad for him. The phone ringing right after the announcement was kind of funny though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

I said come in! posted:

Selma getting snubbed hardcore seems to be getting a lot of talk. No reason to not nominate Ava DuVernay for best director when the movie has a best picture nomination. Hollywood (and society in general), really likes to erase the work that people of color do, even more so if it comes from a woman.

Don't expect to get more than a token nomination when you do not send out screeners.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah it occurred to me that it might be fake but it's probably still kind of sad for him. The phone ringing right after the announcement was kind of funny though.

A shame because Force Majeure was amazing.

Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015

Criminal Minded posted:

I thought he had to in order to get Zodiac made.

If that is the case...IT was drat well worth it!

Crimsonking82
Jan 7, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

This that academy just put the nail in their coffin. They are now to old to be relevant to anyone under 40. There are not enough 20 something hosts they can hire to fix old people voting.

So just a curious question, what does everyone consider the replacement for the Oscars, or a true representation of film awards? I do not agree with the Oscar's at all, but other the the Golden Globes what sticks out?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elephanthead posted:

Said every year for at least the past 25 years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I didn't seriously expect it go be nominated, but I'm still sad that Jodorowsky's Dune didn't get nominated for best documentary. I don't really watch a lot of documentaries but I found that really engrossing.

Also I absolutely knew it wouldn't happen but I thought that Andy Serkis should have at least been a contended for playing Caesar, in an ideal world.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can't wait for Neil Patrick Harris to give the inevitable "LOL we're so white" joke in the monologue, and everyone in Hollywood in a position to actually make the industry less racist will act like that alone buries the entire issue for another year.

I care very little who wins the Oscar, in the sense that the Academy's choices for winners have very little effect on what films I care to see.

But much like SNL; I have a huge hateboner for the Oscars precisely because of its undeserved "institution" status because of its constant regressive poo poo. It's everything that's two-faced about the entertainment industry in one package. I'm not shocked at all that the acting nominess are all white or that Selma got snubbed. In fact, I feel validated that people are reminded that 12 Years a Slave winning didn't change how old and white the Academy is. (It was also the same Oscars that ignored Fruitvale Station entirely, despite being prophetic of 2014. And don't get me started about the whitewashed "Argo" winning two years ago.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fruitvale wasn't a very good movie though

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The Oscars own b/c without them studios would just not finance anything cool ever.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Aww

e: "stop undressing!" haha lmao guess the whole was a joke reaction.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 18, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My only concern about this years' Oscars is Lego Movie not being nominated for Best Animated Movie. :colbert:

I absence of that, I think it should go to HTTYD 2. I haven't seen Takahata's Princess Kayuga yet, but I've heard good things and would welcome him getting an award with the departure of Miyazaki.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Echo Chamber posted:

I can't wait for Neil Patrick Harris to give the inevitable "LOL we're so white" joke in the monologue, and everyone in Hollywood in a position to actually make the industry less racist will act like that alone buries the entire issue for another year.

I care very little who wins the Oscar, in the sense that the Academy's choices for winners have very little effect on what films I care to see.

But much like SNL; I have a huge hateboner for the Oscars precisely because of its undeserved "institution" status because of its constant regressive poo poo. It's everything that's two-faced about the entertainment industry in one package. I'm not shocked at all that the acting nominess are all white or that Selma got snubbed. In fact, I feel validated that people are reminded that 12 Years a Slave winning didn't change how old and white the Academy is. (It was also the same Oscars that ignored Fruitvale Station entirely, despite being prophetic of 2014. And don't get me started about the whitewashed "Argo" winning two years ago.)

At least SNL is trying to change that. They've hired more black writers and actors, and Pete Davidson and Leslie Jones are two of their funniest cast members right now. It's a far cry from having Fred Armisen play every single race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

My only concern about this years' Oscars is Lego Movie not being nominated for Best Animated Movie. :colbert:

I absence of that, I think it should go to HTTYD 2. I haven't seen Takahata's Princess Kayuga yet, but I've heard good things and would welcome him getting an award with the departure of Miyazaki.

Princess Kaguya is a far stronger film than HTTYD2 and I'm really happy it got nominated

• Locked thread