Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think you can just call every movie that isn't dumb action "oscar bait". Theory of Everything, that's Oscar Bait. Birdman is not. Birdman is actually creative and interesting.

Yeah, the prime example of Oscar Bait is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which did terrible in the box office (well, it covered its budget) and critically but still got a Best Picture nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
while adapting the biography of alan turing into the imitation game the studio probably constantly asked "can we oscar this up a bit?" because holy poo poo it's like someone plugged that thing into an oscar-o-baiter 5000 machine and got that turgid miserable thing out of it

I don't like that movie

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't get it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's some form of heathen Japanimation from the orient.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

morestuff posted:

I don't get it

Apparently JGL looks like an anime character.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think you can just call every movie that isn't dumb action "oscar bait". Theory of Everything, that's Oscar Bait. Birdman is not. Birdman is actually creative and interesting.

It can be argued that being a movie about a middle-aged artist in a creativity/identity crisis with everything more or less stated in plain text, it is pandering to the tastes of fellow filmmakers and people in the industry.

Still, it is refreshing to see the movie being praised mostly for its remarkable direction, while completely bland, unambitious movies get sidelined. Oscar would have been a much better institution if it was a competition between filmmakers one-upping each other with cinematic gimmicks, rather than an annual celebration of digging through the Black List in search of new biopic subjects.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

It can be argued that being a movie about a middle-aged artist in a creativity/identity crisis with everything more or less stated in plain text, it is pandering to the tastes of fellow filmmakers and people in the industry.

Still, it is refreshing to see the movie being praised mostly for its remarkable direction, while completely bland, unambitious movies get sidelined. Oscar would have been a much better institution if it was a competition between filmmakers one-upping each other with cinematic gimmicks, rather than an annual celebration of digging through the Black List in search of new biopic subjects.
On the other hand, focusing on cinematic gimmicks too much got us all the Boyhood hype.

I guess a good criterion would be that Oscars should be given to movies that are good, in that they are good and not bad, and then Oscars would be good. :downs:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I watched Jupiter Ascending before Ive seen Theory of Everything and loving Eddie Redmayne was the worst thing about the entire movie. How he goes from a shrieking manchild to winning a oscar is beyond me.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Allyn posted:

It's almost as if the demographics should be well-rounded instead of heavily weighted in either direction hmmmmm

"We must find the fabled goon to complete our cabal"

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I watched Jupiter Ascending before Ive seen Theory of Everything and loving Eddie Redmayne was the worst thing about the entire movie. How he goes from a shrieking manchild to winning a oscar is beyond me.

Are you kidding me? That's like a requirement for winning an Oscar.

Just look at Cuba Gooding Junior and Halley Barry. If winning an Oscar gains you better exposure and roles, how did they wind up doing Catwoman and Stealth?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Usually they wait a year or two before doing their poo poo role though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve Yun posted:

Usually they wait a year or two before doing their poo poo role though

It worked for Jennifer Lawrence I guess (I thoroughly enjoy The Hunger Games though).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The internet seems to have fallen out of love with Jennifer since they saw her ta-tas. I guess it's true internets only want one thing from a girl.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Vintersorg posted:

I watched Jupiter Ascending before Ive seen Theory of Everything and loving Eddie Redmayne was the best drat thing ever and absolutely deserved his Oscar.

Bit of a SNAFU in your post, but I fixed it right up, no need to thank me.

Seriously, though, I thought Best Actor was well-chosen. Keaton gave a really great performance in Birdman, but whatever else you might say about Theory of Everything, Redmayne pulled off the kind of total physical transformation that gives acting professors wet dreams. Hell, the same could be said about his role in Jupiter Ascending; the ability to disappear into roles completetly unlike your real self is something to be celebrated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

The internet seems to have fallen out of love with Jennifer since they saw her ta-tas. I guess it's true internets only want one thing from a girl.

I like to think it's that she shut people's mouths for calling her chubby, and then castigating them over whacking off to nudes she sent her boyfriend.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I get it.

I also don't know if I should be proud or ashamed. Probably ashamed, but that poo poo was cool as hell.

Timett posted:

I like to look at RT top movies for a year and curate a list from what that says are the best movies. At a glance here's what I came up with for 2014.

Boyhood, Whiplash, Lego Movie, Nightcrawler, Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel, Babadook, Mr. Turner, Snowpiercer

It is a pointless exercise but I think it strikes a balance between audience favorites and the movies that actually get nominated.

I like that list. I'm probably biased because I'm mad at Lego Movie getting snubbed.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2015

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FrostedButts posted:

Are you kidding me? That's like a requirement for winning an Oscar.

Just look at Cuba Gooding Junior and Halley Barry. If winning an Oscar gains you better exposure and roles, how did they wind up doing Catwoman and Stealth?

Jamie Foxx did Stealth. Same deal, but he still has a career.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

How he goes from a shrieking manchild to winning a oscar is beyond me.
Turning off the shrieking act seems to have worked. I'm still waiting for DiCaprio to stumble upon that solution.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

He was fuckin' robbed

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If the Oscars want to be cultural relevant to the public at large rather than to just the Acadmey, it has to nominate and award films that more people have seen. Now, you could argue that maintaining their artistic integrity is more important than cultural relevancy, but it seems clear that the Academy wants to be relevant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like Birdman was an inaccessible flop.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think that it would be nice if movies were actually released in more than like 4 theaters in New York and LA before the nominations are announced. Like how am I supposed to give a poo poo that a movie is nominated if I can't even see it until February?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The whole industry probably benefits when they award films that less people have seen and that have received less publicity. Things like American Sniper and The LEGO Movie have made a ton of cash already and will sell like hotcakes on DVD/blu-ray too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think that it would be nice if movies were actually released in more than like 4 theaters in New York and LA before the nominations are announced. Like how am I supposed to give a poo poo that a movie is nominated if I can't even see it until February?

That's intentional, it's so you can go to the theater and see "Nominated for Best Picture Selma" etc.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

computer parts posted:

That's intentional, it's so you can go to the theater and see "Nominated for Best Picture Selma" etc.

Yeah I know it's intentional but I feel like that's part of the disconnect between the Oscars and the common folk. I don't like to be told that Julianne Moore is a shoe-in for best actress before anyone who doesn't get screeners in the mail has seen it. I find it profoundly annoying and it comes across somewhat elitist.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I've just stumpled upon a banner advertising "American Sniper, an Academy Award winning film". That didn't take long.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pizdec posted:

I've just stumpled upon a banner advertising "American Sniper, an Academy Award winning film". That didn't take long.

poo poo, when I watched the ceremony they had a "starring Academy Award winner Patricia Arquette" commercial for some CSI spinoff ready for the break right after her speech.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LesterGroans posted:

poo poo, when I watched the ceremony they had a "starring Academy Award winner Patricia Arquette" commercial for some CSI spinoff ready for the break right after her speech.

That's pretty easy to explain, they had two versions of the ad (one saying winner, one saying nominee) ready to go and put their ad tech who was the best at not hitting the wrong button on the control panel for that ad break. We had that kind of stuff going at the CBS radio station I interned at, it's not that strange.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Zogo posted:

The whole industry probably benefits when they award films that less people have seen and that have received less publicity.
Also, this was kinda what I was hoping for when I heard that Ida got an Oscar, but it turned out it had already made 2.5 mil in USA alone (pocket change by Hollywood standards, but not bad for such a niche movie), it's only in Poland that it flopped completely. :poland:

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Pizdec posted:

Also, this was kinda what I was hoping for when I heard that Ida got an Oscar, but it turned out it had already made 2.5 mil in USA alone (pocket change by Hollywood standards, but not bad for such a niche movie), it's only in Poland that it flopped completely. :poland:

Ida is currently on Amazon Prime and Netflix so there's no reason anybody shouldn't go watch it right now if you haven't already.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I know it's intentional but I feel like that's part of the disconnect between the Oscars and the common folk. I don't like to be told that Julianne Moore is a shoe-in for best actress before anyone who doesn't get screeners in the mail has seen it. I find it profoundly annoying and it comes across somewhat elitist.

I remember many years back, when the script for "A Mighty Heart" was high sought after since it was a lock for best actress before it got made. It wasn't, obviously, but it said something very strange about the process.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

If there really is some sort of falling-out (which I'm not convinced of), I think it has more to do with her latest moving drifting out of the social consciousness, which results in hernot being in the social consciousness as much.

Indulging my really cynical side for a moment, half her the attention she gets from the Wacky poo poo she says. If she's not doing as many interviews, there's less Wacky poo poo to listen to, turn into hilarious gifs, etc.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

FrostedButts posted:

Ida is currently on Amazon Prime and Netflix so there's no reason anybody shouldn't go watch it right now if you haven't already.

is it good though. actually, are there any foreign movies better than a separation

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I enjoyed Leviathan more than Ida, but Ida is still worth a watch imo.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I enjoyed Leviathan more than Ida, but Ida is still worth a watch imo.

Agreed. I honestly would have been happy if either Leviathan, Force Majeure or Ida won for Best Foreign. All of those are some of the absolute best of 2014.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

As much as Birdman deserved it's win, if Ida had stolen Best Cinematography it would have been 100% deserved.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just watched Birdman and... i'm not sure I would have rooted for it for best picture. I mean, sure, it's a great movie with a lot of technical brilliance, especially from Innaritu, Keaton, Norton, and Stone, but somehow it feels a little too indulgent. It felt like Innaritu knew exactly the effect his meta-commentary would have on the industry and he pushed that aspect as far as it would go, and the product of that was an obtuse presentation didn't sit all that well with me or my family. A bunch of you were complaining about how Immitation Game felt like Oscar-bait (haven't watched so I can't comment on that), but to me Birdman feels like what I would think of as Oscar-bait.

*Cue outrage.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I mean you could definitely call it Oscar bait in that it's about Hollywood and actors but it's a much weirder/less conventional film than most of the ones that typically get that label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, good or bad there's nothing formulaic about Birdman. It doesn't really feel like a calculated move that Innaritu would want to say something about ART.

• Locked thread