Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Birdman is just about things people in the academy can identify with, that doesn't make it oscar bait. I was happy enough with their pick (I would've just given it best director) since it's a fairly unusual film, but oscar bait is stuff like that laughable Angelina Jolie movie and The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game. I think The Imitation Game is the most Oscar Baity of all the nominees simply because almost everything that they changed for "artistic license" ended up making the movie more attractive to oscar voters. I hate that movie but I've mentioned it enough in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

cat doter posted:

Birdman is just about things people in the academy can identify with, that doesn't make it oscar bait. I was happy enough with their pick (I would've just given it best director) since it's a fairly unusual film, but oscar bait is stuff like that laughable Angelina Jolie movie and The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game. I think The Imitation Game is the most Oscar Baity of all the nominees simply because almost everything that they changed for "artistic license" ended up making the movie more attractive to oscar voters. I hate that movie but I've mentioned it enough in this thread.

Most Oscar bait picks a specific target. For instance, bio-pics almost never win Best Picture. They'll be nominated for sure, but rarely will they ever win. The Academy concentrates more on these films for one angle they hammer home. Theory of Everything was made with the singular goal of winning Best Actor for the tough role. The Imitation Game was made specifically for Best Screenplay in how it catered heavily to political issues that it harped on for one of the longest pre-credit afterwards texts I've seen lately ("Today, they are called computers.").

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FrostedButts posted:

Most Oscar bait picks a specific target. For instance, bio-pics almost never win Best Picture. They'll be nominated for sure, but rarely will they ever win. The Academy concentrates more on these films for one angle they hammer home. Theory of Everything was made with the singular goal of winning Best Actor for the tough role. The Imitation Game was made specifically for Best Screenplay in how it catered heavily to political issues that it harped on for one of the longest pre-credit afterwards texts I've seen lately ("Today, they are called computers.").

I dislike formula biopics as much as anyone but this feels cartoonishly cynical

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

FrostedButts posted:

I just find The Imitation Game to be the most honed attempt at Oscar bait that I've seen in a long time, although I tend to try and skip movies I can tell are just Oscar bait. There are people out there making movies with incredibly precise "how to get nominated for an oscar" handbooks and the movies made from it loving stink.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I seriously can not wrap my head around people calling Birdman oscar bait, it's way too weird and unique for that, it'd be like saying Mulholland Drive was just oscar bait just because it's all about hollywood

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

morestuff posted:

It's cynical but can you honestly say it's unrealistic?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Biopics are almost always poo poo and should be despised.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

swampland posted:

I seriously can not wrap my head around people calling Birdman oscar bait, it's way too weird and unique for that, it'd be like saying Mulholland Drive was just oscar bait just because it's all about hollywood

Mulholland Drive is on a whole different weirdness level, but yeah. Mulholland Drive owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OVER-REACTION!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Biopics are almost always poo poo and should be despised.

What are some good biopics?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Looper posted:

Patton

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Looper posted:

Raging Bull
The Elephant Man
The Social Network
Goodfellas
Malcolm X
Lawrence of Arabia
Ed Wood
Amadeus

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

TrixRabbi posted:

As much as Birdman deserved it's win, if Ida had stolen Best Cinematography it would have been 100% deserved.

I agree. Every shot in Ida was a beautiful composition.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does The Passion of Joan of Arc focus on enough her life to qualify as a biopic? Whatever, watch it anyway

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

morestuff posted:

Cynical but true. Everything about that sequence was artistic license.

The machines they used at Bletchley to crack ENIGMA were not destroyed, nor were the associated files. You can go to Bletchley today and see them in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFol3gH1pg

Turing machines are logical gadgets which by definition cannot exist in the real world. The only sense in which computers are Turing machines is that they have memory.

The Imitation Game is not a movie about Turing. It is a movie made to win an Oscar by appealing to people who feel strongly about bullying and gay rights issues.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

morestuff posted:

Raging Bull
The Elephant Man
The Social Network
Goodfellas
Malcolm X
Lawrence of Arabia
Ed Wood
Amadeus

Watched Amadeus again for the first time in 15 years or so because of the hyping earlier in the thread, and god drat I think it's one of my all time favorite movies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't think Amadeus is a biopic, but it's a really good movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There are few things I hate more than the casual dismissal of movies as 'Oscar Bait'. And I hated Theory of Everything and Imitation Game, but to say they existed solely to reap an Oscar is ludicrous. That's not how movies are made. Sure when marketing gets involved that's a whole different thing, but a movie isn't produced on the rare chance that it might actually win an award.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrVenkman posted:

There are few things I hate more than the casual dismissal of movies as 'Oscar Bait'. And I hated Theory of Everything and Imitation Game, but to say they existed solely to reap an Oscar is ludicrous. That's not how movies are made. Sure when marketing gets involved that's a whole different thing, but a movie isn't produced on the rare chance that it might actually win an award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_quK9SEGYE

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think Amadeus is a biopic, but it's a really good movie.

It's a biopic, only disqualified because it's good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a biopic, only disqualified because it's good.

It's highly fictionalized.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amadeus is so good that everyone's historical recollection of Mozart should be that movie, and not what actually happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Looper posted:

Sid and Nancy
Walker
The Elephant Man
Mommie Dearest
Bundy
The Madness of King George
Basquiat
Gia
Chopper

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurtofan posted:

It's highly fictionalized.

Whoa really? I didn't know they could do that with movies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Whoa really? I didn't know they could do that with movies.

Biographies are supposed to reflect the historical truth, or at least try. They aren't fictions. Biopics are held to the same standard.

Amadeus is a fiction, and that's cool.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sid and Nancy
Walker
The Elephant Man
Mommie Dearest
Bundy
The Madness of King George
Basquiat
Gia
Chopper

Also Pollock is pretty good

Greenplastic posted:

Watched Amadeus again for the first time in 15 years or so because of the hyping earlier in the thread, and god drat I think it's one of my all time favorite movies.

I watched it again, too. It's great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

morestuff posted:

Raging Bull
The Elephant Man
The Social Network
Goodfellas
Malcolm X
Lawrence of Arabia
Ed Wood
Amadeus

None of those movies even register in my mind as being biopics because they're all great.

So I guess maybe I was being a bit hasty and biopics is just a "genre" with a insanely huge difference in quality between the good films and the bad films.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There certainly is the formula biopic of the heroically suffering brilliant male figure, supported by the characterless and dutiful wife. But it's not the only kind there is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Auto Focus
The Aviator
Behind the Candelabra
Bronson
Catch Me If You Can
Charlie Wilson's War
The Informant!
Selma
The Wolf of Wall Street

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 3, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurtofan posted:

Biographies are supposed to reflect the historical truth, or at least try. They aren't fictions. Biopics are held to the same standard.

Haha, they most certainly are not. In fact, that's what began this whole argument. A biography can be mid-hundreds to thousands of pages, a film biopic is typically not longer than 3 hours. Cracks form immediately.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

but a movie isn't produced on the rare chance that it might actually win an award.

you poor naive bastard

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Mr Turner, ignored by awards people for other not as good biopics, is a very good biopic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does the Academy's orchestra releases albums of the movie themes they play during the ceremonies?

Edit: Star wars winning Best costume design, what's cool is that all they got models wearing every nominees' costumes during the presentation. So you've got all those classy costumes and then bam you've got Storm troopers.

edit: also for Barry Lyndon's year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FesI0_K_JLk

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 3, 2015

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Kurtofan posted:

They're fictional works made by an entertainment industry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I feel like this isn't a genre that should exist then. "Movie starring a real person as main character" should be one element instead of the defining feature. Like in the lists above, Goodfellas shouldn't be a biopic, it's a gangster movie. It would still be a gangster movie if Ray Liotta played a guy called Tony Soprano or whatever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I feel like this isn't a genre that should exist then. "Movie starring a real person as main character" should be one element instead of the defining feature. Like in the lists above, Goodfellas shouldn't be a biopic, it's a gangster movie. It would still be a gangster movie if Ray Liotta played a guy called Tony Soprano or whatever.

It is entirely common for a movie to belong to more than one genre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Best Picture winner A Beautiful Mind (2001) was about as factually true to the life of John Nash as Amadeus was to the life of Mozart.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurtofan posted:

Well its not a real "genre", not really anyway. It's just that when one is really good, we tend not to think of it in the same terms because the "genre" is defined by bad, formulaic films. Honestly, a lot of genres are because it's easy to recognize templates and simple story beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Best Picture winner A Beautiful Mind (2001) was about as factually true to the life of John Nash as Amadeus was to the life of Mozart.

The quality of A Beautiful Mind is summed up by the DVD's supplemental disc being almost entirely award ceremony footage. :gizz:

• Locked thread