Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012
This has nothing to do with money, but if your parents are settling things, and going through their photos and such, I'd recommend that they sort out their other records and personal papers as well (but I would: I'm an archivist, and regular people's records are my favorites). That would include telling you which organisation, if any, they're leaving their papers to (you, maybe, if you want them, or a university archive or local history society). If there's stuff they've kept (diaries and correspondence especially) that they don't want people to see, they should mark them up for you with the closure period (this is Totally A Thing: basically it means we can't show you that stuff for 10/20/50 years, or whatever) or label them as "to be destroyed". That goes quintuple for sexy-time-vidyas, obviously (I'm sorry!) Ideally, they'd be recording or writing memories for posterity.

Oh, yeah, with photos: context, context, context! "Aunt Maud, Uncle Bud, and Jimmy, Napa, 1917" may be meaningful to your dad, but you may need to be flat-out told that Aunt Maud is your father's grandmother's half-sister, Uncle Bud is her husband, and Jimmy is their only son (your great-grandma's favorite nephew), and the picture was taken on the trip they took before Jimmy shipped out to Flanders (where he was killed at the Battle of Belleau Wood) and Bud died in the Spanish flu epidemic, and that's why that photo's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

Disco Salmon posted:

Actually, when I moved out, my mom gave me all the old pics and stuff like that to take with me. I have them all labeled and sorted etc. I just love the old pics... its amazing...my paternal grandmother had a pic taken when she was a young woman, I guess mid-20's. So this would be 1920's sometime. I have pics of me at the same age, and in the same position the photos were taken. We looked so much alike its not even funny. I had more than a few people look at them and ask how I got my pic to look all old-timey and stuff :)

I love that stuff...old pics make me all warm and fuzzy inside, and I have a drive to know who is in it doing what and when it was taken and so on. We already donated my grandfaters stuff to the university he graduated from, and the city he was in since the family was a little bit of a big deal back in the day. My grandmothers papers and stuff were donated as well since her family were prominent in that area and basically founded the town. Thanks for the advice there...but I have that definitely all taken care of if nothing else lol

Yay! People like you and your parents make my job easy and fun, and are my favorite researchers! :3:

Disco Salmon posted:

Sexy time videos? LOL Um, ya... not going to be there.

I mention it because it's come up in a Dear Prudence column, and that's the last thing I wanna have to look at (or worse, have to deal with staff having to look at). You'd be surprised, though: I mean, E.H. Shepard, the ladies' man?! Yeah, totes. No, really.

SiGmA_X posted:

Oh man. My moms brother passed away and left all the family history to his daughters. Who threw half of it out and put the rest in a non heated storage unit. While my uncle spent 15+ years compiling this and my mom is huge on genealogy too.

My point is, OP, suggest to your parents to name items and recipients in their will.

Well, take comfort in the fact that as long as it's dry, it should be OK: paper likes it cooler than people. I'll see that, and raise with: please, please, for the love of crap, if you have a big family and you have stuff like this, please have the family powwow sooner rather than later. And think about sending things sideways, not down -- better to send it to an archive than have it cause a family war. </biased>

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

The idea that family photos and journals would be of any interest to anyone is intriguing to me. I had no idea there were non-hobbyist repositories for that kind of stuff and I thought the hobbyists kept it to facts, trees and local lore.

Yup, lots of them! In the US, they tend to be called "historical societies", but your local college/university may have one. They vary in size and complexity, but most love visitors! How else are you going to know what it was like in the past without documents created in the past? We have deeds, charters, film, audio, photos, sketchbooks, school logbooks, scrapbooks, records from local churches, legal papers, correspondence, diaries, and other writings (OK, poetry by a cat lady: it's my favorite).

• Locked thread