Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

There's manga about everything, but since most of the people that read manga/watch anime are nerds, only a very small number of genres enter the otaku mainstream. One genre that is left out is sports manga. Sports manga is one of the oldest genres, but the least read outside of Japan. We will fix that, at least on this forum.

I will categorize them by sport and popularity and give some notable examples.

Baseball
The big motherfucker. Baseball was introduced to the Japanese islands in the early 20th century through barnstorming tours conducted by American teams like the New York Yankees. During the post-WWII occupation, the American servicemen brought their love of baseball to occupied Japan, and the fanatical love of baseball has never left them. The only comparisons to how much Japan loves baseball are American football in the US, soccer in Brazil and ice hockey in Canada. Naturally, this is the sport with the most manga and anime attached to it.

The king of baseball manga is Shinji Mizushima. His two big works, Abu-san and Dokaben are two of the most beloved manga series ever produced. For example, Abu-san started serialization in 1973 and it completed its run in 2014. The main character of Abu-san played for the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, a Japanese pro baseball team, and his #90 was formally retired by the team, even though he doesn't actually exist. Scott McCloud used Dokaben in Reinventing Comics as an example of how to do sports comics art. Mizushima is kind of a big deal.

The other big series that ended recently is Major. I highly recommend this manga to anyone who likes manga and especially to anyone who likes baseball.

Note: Manga about baseball almost always has a pitcher as the main character because the pitcher is seen as the leader of the team. This is different from in the US where the catcher traditionally calls the defense.

Kendo
Kendo is traditional Japanese sword fighting, done with bamboo swords called shinai while wearing armor. It's one of those things that's unique to Japan, no other country on the Earth would have fake sword fighting as a part of high school gym class. (if you had fencing in high school gym please post in this thread so i will add u to the op)

I'm only mentioning this to mention MUSASHI NO KEN the most underrated manga/anime of all time that you should read/watch right now at this second. Seriously, quit reading this thread and read Musashi no Ken. I mean it.

Basketball
I'm only mentioning basketball because of the phenomenon Slam Dunk is worldwide. It's loving crazy. My Chinese roommate, a person who did not particularly like the Japanese, read Chinese Slam Dunk scanlations religiously. If you've ever seen a picture of a fat tumblr chick cosplaying in a basketball jersey and a red pompadour, Slam Dunk is to blame.

Soccer/Football everywhere else
There is one big soccer franchise, Captain Tsubasa (which came to some parts of the world as Flash Kicker). Tsubasa is a manga from the 80s manga boom, and it has popularity that rivals its Weekly Jump costars, JoJo, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya. Special shoutouts to Giant Killing a manga I have not read but have heard good things about and Whistle! a stupid as gently caress soccer manga that I only remember because I read it in Junior High

Pro Wrestling (yes, I know it's fixed give me a second to explain)
There are only two wrestling manga that matter, Kinnikuman (which came to some parts of the world as Ultimate Muscle) and Tiger Mask. I love Tiger Mask, so sorry Kinnikuman!

Tiger Mask is so loving good you guys. It is so good, there have been 4 real life pro wrestlers to take up the Tiger Mask name/gimmick. Tiger Mask is about beating the poo poo out of bad guys in the name of justice in order to inspire the children. He's such a cultural force that people in Japan anonymously donate to children's charities using the name Naoto Date, the real name of Tiger Mask. Goddamnit I love Tiger Mask so much

Please talk about the sports manga you love and hate. God bless

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ONES I FORGOT:

MOTHER loving PING PONG

What can be said about Ping Pong that hasn't already been said. Both the manga and the anime are stone cold classics out the gate. Please watch Ping Pong it is good and it has the best Christmas episode ever.

Boxing
Hajime no Ippo (released in some of the world as Fighting Spirit). It's one the best ever. It's been going strong since 89, with no signs of stopping. I've never read it, but everyone that has gushes about it incessantly. Ippo has its own thread so you can post to your heart's content there.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085978

TANKS

Girls und Panzer was created by Jesus Christ to bring together a divided world in unity and love. While it is a fine sports anime, it has its own thread so post about it there

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511057

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

So what do you consider every martial arts that isn't kendo/wrestling beneath loving soccer of all things

Because soccer is the number 1 sport in the world, stair master

Gihon posted:

is there a skiing/snowboarding manga?

Nononono and Snow Dolphin are about skiing and I can't find anything about snowboarding sorry :(

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bonus hole boy posted:

Where's ippo?

i will fix that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Explain to me what that is, I can't find anything online about it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Poll: do you think that things like kurata, go, shogi and mah jong are sports and should they be included?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eyeshield 21 was a good manga that I enjoyed and is probably one of the better Shonen series I have read. I've got no idea how it measures up as a Sports manga though because it was about the mythical sport of American Football, which is not the same as regular Football so who knows how any of that works.

As a manga fan I like it, but as a football fan it is completely ridiculous. It has really bad gently caress ups like saying that Notre Dame is a high school and saying that a 4 second 40 yard dash is standard for a sprinter when in reality that would make you the fastest human ever.

Plus the creators are Eagles fans so they can suck a dick

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 16, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hear there's cute guys in some of these manga confirm/deny?

I recommend you check out FREE! a completely straight series about not gay swimmers doing not gay things together

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Things that I've learned from making this thread: Tiger Mask has both an Italian and Arabic dub

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PrinceRandom posted:

what is this from

Eyeshield 21, that's Hiruma, the QB.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

I am very interested in watching/reading this, but the only translation I can find is lacking, to say the least. I'm also curious if you know of any ways to watch Tiger Mask in english!

I know a bit of Japanese, so I sat down and read them with my dictionary. I've also done kendo, and I watch Japanese wrestling all the time, so even when I didn't really understand it, I still got the gist of it. Tiger Mask 2 (the sequel where an orphan the original Tiger Mask raised becomes Tiger Mask after the original dies) has both an Arabic and Italian dub if you can understand that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Are there any non-Eyeshield 21 American Football anime?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Literally The Worst posted:

It'd be fantastic if pretty much anything in the OP was translated.

Major, Kinnikuman, Captain Tubasa, Slam Dunk, Whistle and Giant Killing are all in English.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hungry Bit posted:

Is there any car racing manga/anime besides Initial D?

Capeta, and I think it's licensed somewhere? If not there are other means of course

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DoubleDonut posted:

Cross-posting from the Seinen thread, Teppu has finally updated again. Just in case you weren't sure that Eyebrows is completely insane.

I read the first chapter just now and Jesus Christ eyebrows chick is a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Are there any non-Yarawa judo manga

• Locked thread