Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
On many occasions I saw strollers parked around the concrete-4-pillar-things all over, completely blocking transit through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
They banned strollers from the program rooms. I know, I was one of those assholes, but we didn't do the exhibit floor at all since we had it. We just did the indigo ballroom, and they were really inconsistent about enforcing the no strollers. Maybe because we just stayed in the very back row.

They made me take the stroller out on Thursday when the room was barely half full and then on Friday when it was packed I asked the lady at the door where she wanted me to park it and she said just take it in.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Did anyone do the Marvel pins? I want to hear what a train wreck it was since I decided to pass on them due to baby and marvel's stupid distribution plans with them. I also hated that they weren't metal pins.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pan Dulce posted:

Furthermore, who went RIGHT back into the mob and started reserving their hotels for NEXT year?

How do the prices compare if you book now vs con pricing?

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't think the hotels even let you book that weekend. A family member used to have an outstanding reservation at a hotel in La Jolla every weekend and they refused to let him book for SDCC weekend YEARS ago, that far from downtown, over six months in advance. SDCC and TravelPlanners seem to have it pretty much on lockdown.

All in all, a fun con. Eddie James Olmos put his arm around me and I :allears:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
A close friend of mine is a travel agent and she called to try to get me rooms for SDCC 2016 and most places aren't taking reservations at any price, and the ones that are are $600+/night.

Like the Omni is completely 100% blocked out, she can't even make one through the special travel agent booking system.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

welp, then I guess it's waiting til ragnarok all loving over again

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beast of Bourbon posted:

A close friend of mine is a travel agent and she called to try to get me rooms for SDCC 2016 and most places aren't taking reservations at any price, and the ones that are are $600+/night.

Like the Omni is completely 100% blocked out, she can't even make one through the special travel agent booking system.

That's what happened this year too, I tried looking for hotels pretty soon after SDCC 2014 and I couldn't get them.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Rocco posted:

Man that is weird- I SWORE they banned strollers a long time ago. I remember reading the rules and seeing that basically anything with wheels was out. Did something change or am I nuts

For every one stroller there was 50 groups of three or four standing in the middle of an aisle just lollygagging. Or how about outwardly facing booth decorations that had crowds of people circled around, standing and wanting to take pictures? Or peoples' costumes that take up two or three wide? Or someone stopping naruto #24 for a picture? There were a lot more things screwing up pedestrian traffic than strollers, at least from what I saw.

And yes I had a stroller. It was easy enough to keep it out of the way and not be a nuisance.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
We also tried doing the book a year in advance but all the good hotels are blocked out. I was at the pool on Sunday though next to a guy from New York who was there with his wife to visit their daughter. They had no idea what comic con was and somehow they got rooms booked :iiam:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My husband has a lot of Marriott points thanks to business travel. Could those be used for SDCC week? (Any of the three Marriotts in town will do, but if it had to be the Marquis Marina I suppose I could live with that).

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
This year did have a LOT of booths with TVs mounted on the very outside of their booth at eye level and above so people would just walk to the middle of an aisle and stand there watching a 30 minute documentary on whatever the gently caress the booth was showing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Soarer posted:

We also tried doing the book a year in advance but all the good hotels are blocked out. I was at the pool on Sunday though next to a guy from New York who was there with his wife to visit their daughter. They had no idea what comic con was and somehow they got rooms booked :iiam:

I called Hyatt on wednesday and they actually had one avail for saturday at about $400 iirc. Lots of cancellations I guess. I imagine sunday would be a cinch

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I'm a north county local (Rancho Bernardo). This year I just said gently caress it and did the trolley the whole weekend and it was the best decision I made. I parked at Qualcomm each time. If you are driving down anyway and you really wanted to sace some cash you could probably look at booking a room further north, out of the crisis area, for much cheaper and then do the trolley thing.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

My husband has a lot of Marriott points thanks to business travel. Could those be used for SDCC week? (Any of the three Marriotts in town will do, but if it had to be the Marquis Marina I suppose I could live with that).

If you could book a Marriott through Travel Planners, you could use your points when you check in/out. You still have to pay for the deposit through Travel Planners.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I couldn't believe public parking was 40 loving dollars a day. I remember the first year I went we drove right in and parked in the actual convention parking lot for like 20 bucks. Now I don't bother moving my car from whatever hotel circle hotel we're staying at. The shuttles run all night and it's not like a little extra walking ever killed anyone (although lugging that goddamn Devastator back to the hotel was a bit of a bitch).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I couldn't believe public parking was 40 loving dollars a day. I remember the first year I went we drove right in and parked in the actual convention parking lot for like 20 bucks. Now I don't bother moving my car from whatever hotel circle hotel we're staying at. The shuttles run all night and it's not like a little extra walking ever killed anyone (although lugging that goddamn Devastator back to the hotel was a bit of a bitch).

I wanna say Mariott was $32 when I left Sunday. Not moving it meant I could jyst pay that day alone though since i "lost" my ticket. Had to get creative moving poo poo around from lodging to hotel and back my spot was right by the mariott cafeteria so not bad going from CC to car

Kali11324 posted:

I'm a north county local (Rancho Bernardo). This year I just said gently caress it and did the trolley the whole weekend and it was the best decision I made. I parked at Qualcomm each time. If you are driving down anyway and you really wanted to sace some cash you could probably look at booking a room further north, out of the crisis area, for much cheaper and then do the trolley thing.

mutual friend wound up coming through with an apartment 3 miles or so that I could crash at for beer and favors. The uber was like ~10 bux give or take and totally worth it as a fallback

Originally we were in the worldmark about 1.25 miles away and the shuttle put it nice and close. It does cut down on actually-doing-things time but if money is an issue it's not bad

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

ruddiger posted:

I couldn't believe public parking was 40 loving dollars a day.

That was one of the points at the talk back panel. You had to pay a $7 fee on top of that, right?

ruddiger posted:

(although lugging that goddamn Devastator back to the hotel was a bit of a bitch).
I really wanted that guy but it was so drat huge.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lest we forget our shameful selves

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
By far the most insane thing to me is the crazy choke points that lead up to the A entrance when you're coming from the Hyatt/Marriott side. They fence off the grass knoll spot right before and it makes sense, but its just so narrow it creates a crazy choke point.

Also stupid of the DC booth area to play the new Superman Vs. Batman trailer at all because some people were in the convention floor and probably didn't check their phone to know it dropped online, so its showing on their big screen and security is yelling at everyone to keep moving.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Did anyone get any hand outs from any panels in Hall H? I spent a good portion of Saturday in Hall H and got dick all. My wife spent the morning there on Sunday and got the same.

Also, how crazy was passing the Marriott construction area to/from the Hyatt or did everyone just go around the back way? Since I never got redemption tickets, I never went to the redemption room at the Hyatt so I never approached from that direction but I'm super curious. This year seriously had some of the worst traffic management I've ever dealt with at SDCC and there's been some bad traffic before. The only time I was a little more ok with the bad traffic was the one time I was going by the WB booth and the Gotham signing was just starting and I somehow ended up right next to the barricade to walk along so I got some pictures of the cast as I was walking by. Otherwise it was a lot of bullshit and a lot of large loving groups just deciding to stop in the middle of large traffic arteries and then getting upset when you had to push through them because that was the only thing you could do.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
From the Tarantino panel in Hall H on Saturday I got a lobby card sized poster for The Hateful Eight. The redemption room seemed pretty empty; I wonder if there's a lot less swag being handed out these days?

Edit: The traffic management was seriously bad. I kept trying to get into the Ash vs. Evil Dead experience, and even the people working that booth had no idea where the line was, so I gave up.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Last year the Archer panel gave out tickets that needed to be redeemed for a t-shirt. This year they just gave out the t-shirts on the way out. Ended up being a clusterfuck because people were piling up at the doors trying to get the size they wanted.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best part of the con for me was probably running into Henry Cavill at Coronado. I learned or reinforced a few "tricks" for upcoming years:

- If you want to meet stars, hang out in Coronado on Sunday, and the Hilton Bayfront bar in the evening after panels.
- The front of the Hall H line is workable if you do shifts with Coronado involved. Everyone tries to eat at crappy hot dog stands and downtown restaurants, which are packed. Just take the ferry to Coronado (which is located right next to the line) and eat at the relatively empty breweries, and relax on the beach for a refresher in between shifts. I did 3 hour shifts, starting at 10am on Friday, and felt fine outside of the sleeping outside part
- Staying downtown is equal to staying at Coronado (if you don't mind Ubering across the bridge at night), and one or the other will ALWAYS open up after the initial hotel rush.
- Don't even go on the convention floor before Sunday since you can't move
- The Hilton Bayfront bathroom is your best friend if you're in the Hall H line
- The late Hall H panels are always walk-ins. Also, the Sunday panels are also walk-ins. For instance, we left Hall H after Tarantino, and walked back in for the WB DCTV panels right before it started.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

RevKrule posted:

Did anyone get any hand outs from any panels in Hall H? I spent a good portion of Saturday in Hall H and got dick all. My wife spent the morning there on Sunday and got the same.

Also, how crazy was passing the Marriott construction area to/from the Hyatt or did everyone just go around the back way? Since I never got redemption tickets, I never went to the redemption room at the Hyatt so I never approached from that direction but I'm super curious. This year seriously had some of the worst traffic management I've ever dealt with at SDCC and there's been some bad traffic before. The only time I was a little more ok with the bad traffic was the one time I was going by the WB booth and the Gotham signing was just starting and I somehow ended up right next to the barricade to walk along so I got some pictures of the cast as I was walking by. Otherwise it was a lot of bullshit and a lot of large loving groups just deciding to stop in the middle of large traffic arteries and then getting upset when you had to push through them because that was the only thing you could do.

Nothing from Hall H on Sunday, nor the DC TV panel late on Saturday (sucks cause last year got a cool shirt from that one). Agree on the lovely traffic control for sure, there were times where I just got brought to a standstill all over the place where usually it would've been a crawl. Does Comic Con usually employ StaffPro? Those guys have been poo poo at other cons I've been to, thought they used somebody else.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm not big on the exhibition hall but when I was in there it seemed like it flowed better than previous years. I saw a lot more organization of lines to keep them out of traffic and the lines themselves had more volunteers assigned to keep them neater.

I had similar experience in the hall lines where rather than a couple harried people running back and forth they had lots of people keeping the whole line neat and clearly marking where it begins and ends.

So anecdotally everything felt maybe a bit better organized than previous years but this is just from Weds-Fri as we had to miss Sat and Sun this year.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Highlights:
- Attending Con Man panel at Nerd HQ and getting my picture taken with all the panelists :swoon:
- Ash vs. Evil Dead panel. No one knows how to work a room full of nerds like Bruce Campbell.
- Tarantino/The Hateful Eight panel. Movie looks great. And Ennio Morricone will be doing the score!
- Sold a few of my books.
- Great meals at Old Spaghetti Factory and The Field.
- Got an EC artist Fantagraphics book, and a plush Serenity
- "Celebrity in the wild" sighting (saw Nathan Fillion walking outside the convention center one morning)

Lowlights:
- My buddy became so ill he had to go home Thursday. (Kidney stones. Poor guy, I've never seen anyone in that much pain.)
- Stalking Strategic loitering outside of Nerd HQ in hopes of more photo ops did not pay off.
- Gaslamp BBQ is overpriced and :mediocre:
- No Mad Max Fury Road tees at any of the vendors
- Headaches due to weird sleeping/eating schedules

So, typical Con.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

~SMcD
Line management inside the hall was actually decent. They had designated line staging areas around the hall, denoted with signs so people wouldn't sit around there. Thursday morning though they dropped the ball hard on the line for Hasbro tickets. People were absolutely flipping their poo poo kn Twitter and such. They basically had no one watching anything and a lot of people were able to just get in the line that were walking by the back stairs by the marina, before everyone that had to go through the sail pavilion first.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Did any of you guys see the panel for March and Congressman John Lewis? I just barely heard he made an appearance and recreated what he wore from back in the day with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That honestly sounds really badass.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Jiro posted:

Did any of you guys see the panel for March and Congressman John Lewis? I just barely heard he made an appearance and recreated what he wore from back in the day with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That honestly sounds really badass.

He cosplayed as his younger self when he did the Selma march.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/07/13/the-real-origin-story-behind-how-rep-john-lewis-became-the-hit-of-comic-con/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jiro posted:

I did. I saw it two years ago when he was last here too. He's an exceptional person and utterly inspiring.

The march was great until we hit the floor and it all clusterfucked around the booth.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcc6vrrnkHo

Regional Impact: $135.9M
Attendee spending: $80M
Tax Revenues: $2.7M
Attendance: 130k
Jobs: 1897

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://comic-con.org/cci/2016/attendee-preregistration

* You need to validate your 2015 badge to participate in per-registration by September 15.

* Presale will happen after October 31

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I got a 4-day badge this year with my name on it (and still have it) through someone else. I just made a member ID and account but can't validate my badge with this account. Will I be able to pre-register at any point with my badge?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

bigmike posted:

I got a 4-day badge this year with my name on it (and still have it) through someone else. I just made a member ID and account but can't validate my badge with this account. Will I be able to pre-register at any point with my badge?

If you have a badge with your name on it, there's probably an account with your name on it already. I'd ask the someone about the linked ID. Unless there were shenanigans, they should have one.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

If your friend was a professional I'm not sure that it counts for prereg purposes. I've said no thank you to my pro friends in the past so that I could be in the system as "this member id went to comic con" for the next year's prereg. You can email and ask but I'm guessing that's your issue?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I still need to pull out my thurs/sun badges, do those apply as well? I don't recall if I saw any code on the back

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I still need to pull out my thurs/sun badges, do those apply as well? I don't recall if I saw any code on the back

Codes are at the bottom of the badge, not the back. I believe all badges should have a code (at least attendee badges).

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Jarnet posted:

If your friend was a professional I'm not sure that it counts for prereg purposes. I've said no thank you to my pro friends in the past so that I could be in the system as "this member id went to comic con" for the next year's prereg. You can email and ask but I'm guessing that's your issue?

Yeah, my friend got our badges through someone who I think gets hook ups for a living. It's definitely a legit badge with my name on it, but I don't think I'm getting access to her member ID. Was just hoping there was some way to associate my badge with my newly created member ID at some point throughout the prereg process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Swagchat: did anyone else snag a Minority Report phone charger? I thought it would be useful since I've never actually bothered to get a pocket charger before, but I charged it to what I thought was full and left it unplugged for a day and after charging my phone it basically juiced out after 10%. I would imagine most don't hold a charge very well (especially a free one) but this seems kind of...impractical.

• Locked thread