Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Delzuma posted:

pic? also back when I went in 2009 most entertainment panels (tv shows, movies) gave out free shirts or swag of some type. Has that ended or is it still going on?

look at this loving thing

This was an offsite thing that gives half-off drinks at certain bars downtown. I haven't been into any of the panels yet, but it seems like posters/t-shirts/whatever from other booths are still definitely thing (foam chainsaws for Ashe vs. Evil Dead)!

The drinking horn is one of the better ones I've seen since the PanAm bags a few years ago, but there's still other really cool swag out there if you can keep an eye on Twitter/know where to look. I think Scream Queens is giving free ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Axel Serenity posted:

look at this loving thing

This was an offsite thing that gives half-off drinks at certain bars downtown. I haven't been into any of the panels yet, but it seems like posters/t-shirts/whatever from other booths are still definitely thing (foam chainsaws for Ashe vs. Evil Dead)!

The drinking horn is one of the better ones I've seen since the PanAm bags a few years ago, but there's still other really cool swag out there if you can keep an eye on Twitter/know where to look. I think Scream Queens is giving free ice cream.

Where did you get the horn?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Delzuma posted:

pic? also back when I went in 2009 most entertainment panels (tv shows, movies) gave out free shirts or swag of some type. Has that ended or is it still going on?

It's still going on but the swag is so much shittier. Last time I did it I just got a button.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

Ride the Vikings boat. Top of the hour from 9-12 outside the Grand Hyatt then 1-6 at 7th and Market.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

RevKrule posted:

It's still going on but the swag is so much shittier. Last time I did it I just got a button.

that sucks. I've loved my Psych and Stark expo shirts for years. Saddest moment of my life was when i got home and realized I had missed out on the Flynn Lives shirts though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Now you can live the Hall H line for Friday without being there (spoiler alert, it's worse than you thought).
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/10/star-wars-force-awakens-comic-con-line

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

RevKrule posted:

Now you can live the Hall H line for Friday without being there (spoiler alert, it's worse than you thought).
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/10/star-wars-force-awakens-comic-con-line

Jesus. That scrawl looks like the warning messages at the Walking Dead exhibit. Until the con splits these big panels onto days other than just Friday and Saturday, this is what's going to continue happening, or get worse. Most likely getting worse.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

Lmao, I was walking around Thursday in the gaslamp district and some girls were handing these out if you tweeted something, took all of 5 minutes...

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
JJ Abrams is taking all of us in Hall H to a Star Wars concert by the bay. :stare:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Wazzit posted:

JJ Abrams is taking all of us in Hall H to a Star Wars concert by the bay. :stare:

There was some outside cc where they were doing that, I thought it was at the symphony hall, maybe this is different? Seems odd to have two competing sw concerts running?

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
I have a friend that's super into Inside Out, and we met a dude who had an Inside Out bag that he said he got for free when he bought a book at Hyperion in the convention. We don't have badges, so would someone be able to pick up a book to get the bag and then we'll pay you back? PM me.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Highlights of today were the Nerd HQ panel for Con Man, which was fun already but then the entire panel took pictures with every single attendee. :allears:

And then we got into Ash vs. Evil Dead, which looks to be a good time, and Bruce Campbell was loving amazing as always.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
We just came across the adult swim neon prize cat booth right when the hall closed :(

All in all a good day, just camped indigo and didn't have to deal with too many lines.

How is Sunday crowd wise? We are local but badge less now, but we still have some event wristbands.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McOgre posted:

I have a friend that's super into Inside Out, and we met a dude who had an Inside Out bag that he said he got for free when he bought a book at Hyperion in the convention. We don't have badges, so would someone be able to pick up a book to get the bag and then we'll pay you back? PM me.

Gimme a booth number and I'll have a look see

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Alan Smithee posted:

Gimme a booth number and I'll have a look see

They're under Disney Publishing Worldwide, which looks like booth 1129. Thanks!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So I'm having a bitch of a time with the Funko Pop booth. I went before the exhibition hall opened, zipped over, and they said they were giving out tickets and they weren't letting anyone buy.

What?

My question is, where are these mythical tickets, or how do I go about buying this?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
At the The Hateful Eight panel. I could listen to Quentin Tarantino talk about the minutia of camera lenses and 70 mm film for hours. Only at Comic Con.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
SDCC lessons learned:

1) Get to panels earlier.

2) No, earlier than that. In fact, for the big ones just try and get into the previous panel and camp out there until the one you actually want starts.

Also: American Horror Story panel asside, is there anything particularly interesting happening on Sunday? I have a ticket but am thoroughly exhausted so I'm thinking of just giving it to a friend.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

readingatwork posted:

SDCC lessons learned:

1) Get to panels earlier.

2) No, earlier than that. In fact, for the big ones just try and get into the previous panel and camp out there until the one you actually want starts.

Also: American Horror Story panel asside, is there anything particularly interesting happening on Sunday? I have a ticket but am thoroughly exhausted so I'm thinking of just giving it to a friend.
Unless you're looking to get deals down in Chinatown, if there's no panels you want to see or no signings you're looking to do, Sunday's a wash. Plus the exhibit hall is packed with people who would normally be in Ballroom 20 and people who brought their slow children thinking that's still a good idea.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i hope they ban strollers next year, SDCC is the only one that allows strollers. There was a stroller that had big chunky wheels and a cattle catcher on the front of it and the mom and 12 year old riding in it were using it to batter people out of the way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone still around for Sunday? Any swag trades people want? I could go for a rockos modern life bag from the gaslamp or a drinking horn from Vikings. Most of my stuff is from the inside

McOgre posted:

They're under Disney Publishing Worldwide, which looks like booth 1129. Thanks!

Got one. Shoot me a number if you can

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose

Alan Smithee posted:

Got one. Shoot me a number if you can

Rad, thanks again! Sent you a PM.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Saw deadmau5 at Fluxx last night and watched the Conan taping today. Bought some junk. Ate tacos. Good con.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Weirdest thing I have seen at the con so far this year: saw a ~10 year old kid kiss his mom's cleavage, pick his nose then eat the booger.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Neraren posted:

At the The Hateful Eight panel. I could listen to Quentin Tarantino talk about the minutia of camera lenses and 70 mm film for hours. Only at Comic Con.

This is the only Hall H thing I've wanted in on for years. But I still didn't bother. It's just too much of a hassle anymore.

I read Deadline's write-up of the panel and it sounded magical. I really hope a San Diego theater ponies up and gets a 70mm projector for the film. Even then, I may still drive to LA and go to a showing at a theater where I know the projectionist will know their poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

My wife was trying to get into Legendary panel after Hateful Eight but the line didn't move and we got hosed getting into the line (had to go around but by the time we got around they were letting people in another way so a chute and a half filled by the time we got around). But we got in for Fox.

Most of Fox was decidedly meh but the Deadpool trailer was tits and a half. X-Men had way too many loving people on stage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I always feel bad for the supporting actors and writers who show up to panels and are basically the girlfriends who don't know anyone at the party

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm going to do some shameless self-promotion and say that my movie review book, A Nerd Girl's Guide to Cinema, is on sale at booth 5627 (William Wu Books) for a mere $15. This bookseller is also a great source for vintage pulp and sci-fi, as well as movie-related books. So stop by if you can.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Satorr posted:

Weirdest thing I have seen at the con so far this year: saw a ~10 year old kid kiss his mom's cleavage, pick his nose then eat the booger.

I think I saw this kid and his mom in 6BCF this morning/afternoon. Def was getting a Robin Arryn vibe.

---

What's the deal with the masquerade audience chanting stuff? Some kind of tradition? Is there a script? Was watching a cast of it, so couldn't really tell what was being said or adding on because the audio was meh.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

XOIC of Radishes posted:

What's the deal with the masquerade audience chanting stuff? Some kind of tradition? Is there a script? Was watching a cast of it, so couldn't really tell what was being said or adding on because the audio was meh.

Tradition, yes. I went to it for like four years in a row. Maybe between 2001 and 2005 or something? Whenever a grip runs on stage between contestants, everyone shouts, "NINJA!" Then people shout out the names of props. Also, everyone shouts out the number of the contestant. And many other things. It's very strange but it's been commonplace for a very long time and it's part of the event.

Now, for the important part:

Did anyone yell "BEAST BOY?" Please, tell me someone yelled "BEAST BOY" and I will rest easy.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Satorr posted:

This is the only Hall H thing I've wanted in on for years. But I still didn't bother. It's just too much of a hassle anymore.

I read Deadline's write-up of the panel and it sounded magical. I really hope a San Diego theater ponies up and gets a 70mm projector for the film. Even then, I may still drive to LA and go to a showing at a theater where I know the projectionist will know their poo poo.

Doesn't the Ken Cinema have a 70mm?

Looks like we are in for Sunday but mostly just to hit up a few things we have wristbands for and walk around until mid afternoon. We are local, so hopefully parking isn't poo poo. Our plan of parking a mile away on the street and taking Uber/Lyft in worked pretty perfectly though.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I have walked by the Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 thing a bunch of times but i never figured out what it actually was.
This con I didn't even have a pass but there was so much going on outside I still had plenty to do. I go into the Webtoons party at Lou and Mickey's both nights which was pretty amazing. They had their own panel about amateurs/independent comics creation with Tom Akel, Marc Silvestre, and a talent agent from Marvel and then Stan Lee showed up. That is 92 and funny as poo poo!
They announced that they are doing a comic creation contest. First prize is $30,000 and you get to work with Stan Lee to develop your comic and character.

McOgre
Sep 19, 2011

The Legend of Groose
It's dumb, but I spent a good five minutes laughing at 5/10 streetpasses I got on my 3DS around the con being a crazy-eyed Mii named Josh. Thanks for laugh, Josh & friends.

http://imgur.com/6RI2FQZ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone willing and to get a black Jesus t shirt from the adult swim green on exchange for... I don know name your price while my con badge is still good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it puts the aloe on its skin

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

Exhausted, feet sore, recovering from SDCC 15 . . . When do the SDCC 16 tickets go on sale?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Kali11324 posted:

Exhausted, feet sore, recovering from SDCC 15 . . . When do the SDCC 16 tickets go on sale?

Furthermore, who went RIGHT back into the mob and started reserving their hotels for NEXT year?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I keep grabbing at my chest and saying, "My lanyard! WHERE'S MY LANYARD?!"

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i hope they ban strollers next year, SDCC is the only one that allows strollers. There was a stroller that had big chunky wheels and a cattle catcher on the front of it and the mom and 12 year old riding in it were using it to batter people out of the way.

Man that is weird- I SWORE they banned strollers a long time ago. I remember reading the rules and seeing that basically anything with wheels was out. Did something change or am I nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

I think they banned "over-sized" strollers. It seems somewhat subjective. In the end I feel very few of the security people really give a poo poo. I think they just don't want to be bothered.

• Locked thread