Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
This will be my first year as a Pro and I'm confused. Do I get my pass first, and then try for the guest pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Any word on a date for pro registration? I got the email that said it was 'just around the corner" but with SDCC that could mean anywhere from "next weekend" to "two months from now."

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm just waiting for pro registration. I'm anxious because I'd really like to get one of the complimentary passes for my buddy who otherwise won't be able to make it. He can help me hand out swag and then go fetch me lattes.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

Even if you're Trade (Creative Pro tix are reserved), I doubt they will run out of badges unless you claim, like, the week before the Con. The randomized selection system is likely to control Guest passes, which do sell out and, at least in L.A., are one of the most popular ways of getting badges without going through O.R.

When you say that creative pro fix are reserved, does that mean we're guaranteed a four-day pass?

Also, how does one go about getting swag onto the freebie table?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Pro registration is this Friday, the 27th.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Got my guest his complimentary pass. Woohoo! I am flat amazed at how painless that was.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Holy poo poo, I just made it, then. Dang.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm bookmarking that restaurant for future reference. It sounds promising.

Am bummed out because I've just learned that the freebie table is only open to panel participants and exhibitors. So I guess I'll be one of those obnoxious people standing outside the con handing out my swag (maybe it would help if I did it in my Phantom of the Paradise outfit).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Any word on hotel registration?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Did an email go out? I haven't gotten one.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm worried about putting all my eggs in one basket. If all my choices are downtown hotels and I don't get any, I'm out of luck. Should I pick four downtown and two elsewhere hotels?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
The Westgate is 7 blocks away and very nice. A little foofy in its decor but the staff are very nice.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
The PDF lists the distance from each hotel to the convention center. Basically anything a mile and under is walk-able (though if you're in cumbersome cosplay the shuttle is an option).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
May the odds be ever in your… oh, never mind.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just a little over 3 minutes for me as it took a minute for the page to load. I put four downtowns, one airport and one Mission Valley, and told them to put me on any that had a shuttle if those weren't available. At least we should hear back within the next couple days.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Question for the trade pros. When do you usually know what booth number you will have? A bookseller buddy of mine has graciously offered to have some copies of one of my books at his booth. I'm going to be handing out postcards and would like to say "Get your copy now at Awesome Bookseller, Booth 1234!"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Nothing yet. I'm getting all OCD worrying if I mistyped my email address.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Request confirmation received.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Ugh, this waiting is driving me nuts. :bang:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Haven't heard anything yet, and I'm hoping that means no news is good news (the SDCC Unofficial Blog says the "no luck" emails go out first).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My choices weren't available so they put me at the Comfort Inn and Suites Zoo Seaworld. At least it's on the shuttle.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If I take what they gave me, can I still keep an eye out and see if something better opens up?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Cool. I've been lucky and had downtown hotels my other times, and I'm Creative Pro now so I figure karma balances out now by being a bit further away. It will make my cosplay day a bit of a pain but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I figure the biggest pain for me will be arrival/departure. When we get to the train station (note to self, make Amtrak ressies soon) we'll cab it to the hotel, then hit the shuttle back to the convention center to check in, have an early dinner, and get some stuff at Ralph's, then shuttle it back to the hotel. The shuttles running 24 hours make a big difference.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Never been to WonderCon. I'll try for it next year.

I've been to ComiKaze twice, it's fun too.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So how does the hotel resale on the 8th work? I've got a hotel but I'd like to try for something a bit closer in.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
This should be interesting. Maybe the "SDCC should move to LA" crowd will go to Wondercon, see how boring the LA Convention Center is and how nasty the surrounding area can be, and realize that San Diego's pretty nice after all.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
IS there a hotel resale tomorrow? I haven't heard a thing, and I'm afraid to touch anything with my existing ressie for fear of messing it up and being left high and dry.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If you try to get anything in the resale, do you have to give up what you already have? (Sorry for the stupid questions, it's my first time when I haven't had a hotel in downtown.)

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It starts at 9 a.m. PT.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Server timed out.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I actually got the page and put in a search for Town and Country, but after I hit search everything crapped out completely.

I'll keep on until 9:30 and then I'm saying "gently caress it".

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I actually got through and thought I had a room at Town and Country. It kept stopping dead after I submitted my credit card info, so I called and the guy at travel planners said it was because one of the four nights it said it was available wasn't.

This is such a complete and total clusterfuck.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress this. I'm sticking with what I've got, and at this point I don't trust Travel Planners to not charge my card for rooms I didn't finish booking because they said it was available four nights when it was only available three.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Good news! One of my books will be on sale at the con (a book exhibitor has kindly agreed to have it at his booth).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Checking Travel Planners' site pays off. I just saw that a room opened up at Town and Country and snagged that (I had a room in Mission Valley but Town and Country is nicer, cheaper, and has a better time on the shuttle).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Soarer posted:

It's also where they do badge pick up, and is across from the first stop on the bus so you can get off and just cross the street.

That entered into my decision as well.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
There will be a Nerd HQ this year. No word on the location yet.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
When does badge pickup start on Preview Night? I'm a Creative Pro and I'm staying at the Town and Country. Trying to figure out which train to catch to get there in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Cool, thanks. One more question - how late does badge pickup go till on Preview Night?

Hijinks Ensue fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 7, 2015

• Locked thread