Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jomo posted:

What does this mean? I understand you have to register and account to be able to buy a badge, but how is it "randomised" if there's no limit on registrations?

When purchasing tickets now, there's 2 sets of randomization. First you get randomly selected into a group and then inside that group you're randomized into a purchasing order. But for all this you need to have a member ID (which I think might be the registration you're thinking of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

I keep the offsites post thoroughly updated. There is enough offsite poo poo to do that you could have plenty of fun without getting a Con pass.

This is absolutely correct. Between things like NerdHQ (pay), the back lawn (free), PetCo Park lot (free) and assorted poo poo in hotels, you can seriously spend the whole weekend w/o ever actually going in the convention center. Hotel bars are great for people watching at night too if you can't get into a party.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Shawn posted:

Going to try for Saturday and Wednesday this weekend, but if we don't get them it's alright since we'll have a 3 month old with us.

I can't remember if you have it but if you don't, you need the other 4 days to get Wednesday.

Also, people who miss preview night, aren't missing much at all unless you're into exclusives and aren't into big toy makers. Most exclusives now have daily allotments too. Also it's good if you're into getting commissions since some of the more popular artists can get their lists filled up fast, though even that's not what it once was. A lot of major artists now take a list Wednesday and Thursday and then decide which of those they want to do.

Those goons without passes yet should team up. You can get up to three passes per person who gets in. If you're only 2 people, team up w/a goon for the final single. 3 shots in is better than 2 or 1. This does require a bit of trust though as one person has to put it all on a single card.

But none of this is new information :)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

I would... but he's at one of those dead-end, do nothing jobs for the weekend and right now he's on break, on his cell. Be hard to rush to the library and make it back.

Have him give you his information and you open another browser and take his place.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

That won't gently caress with both? I've been told not to have multiple browsers open.

If you have multiple browsers open with different reg information, that's fine. When you have multiple browsers open with the same reg information, only one will work.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

Just so I know, if it ISN'T working, what'll show? Will it just look normal?

One browser will time out the other will take its place after a minute or 2, if it doesn't work. Otherwise they'll both look the same

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

FrensaGeran posted:

I miss the old days where it was a loving blood bath of F5'ing and server time outs and only the strongest made it.

I miss the old days where you could get a ticket on site or even in the days leading up to the show online.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

wait was that a thing

Assassin's Creed did it two separate years. Last year they offered shaves (and a hilariously bad parkour course) and the year before they rented out the Star of India.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jame Gumb (yes I know that's wrong) says that Marvel studios will be skipping SDCC this year.

Hall H should be a little easier to get into on Saturday.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Parking will be by lottery now.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/11/san-diego-comic-con-parking-will-lottery-literally/

quote:

Comic-Con Fans: This time around, we’re doing it differently. We want to provide the best experience possible and take the pain and pressure out of the process. So for this years sale, we’re going to a lottery based system.

How does it work?

Registration is easy. Send an email into cci2015@aceparking.com and you’re done.

Ace will collect entries until April 12th and then hold a random drawing to select the winners.

If your entry is selected, you will be guaranteed a spot at one of our Ace locations.

The lots will be filled in order as shown below:

Convention Center
Hilton Garage
Petco Lots (excluding Campus lot which will be closed for construction during Comic-Con)
Padres Parkade
Diamond View Tower
Horton Plaza
Gaslamp City Square

Entries will be selected at random up to the capacity of each location. If your entry is selected, you will receive an email back from us by April 15th. Included in that email will be details on how to purchase your permit at the location you were drawn for. If you choose not to purchase your permit, it will be forfeited.

You must register first at the email above in order to be included in the drawing. Entries by phone, writing or through other email addresses will not be considered and only one entry per account will be considered.

The locations in the list above are the most sought after locations and therefore they are the ones that will participate in the lottery. Following the sellout of the lots above, the system will be opened to the public for purchase of any remaining inventory.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Another perennial is going to be a no-show this year.
GRRM thinks he needs to finish his book

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Any word on hotel registration?

Supposedly Tuesday.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, it was super congested. Also they had one list rather than preference choices which threw me for a loop.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Darko posted:

If you don't get one of these, just do Coronado island. Rooms ALWAYS open up later, the hotel is full of the larger stars, and you just have to walk or take the free bus down to the ferry and you're right there. And it has an awesome beach, etc. It's much better than anything on the shuttle route.

SHHHH!!!! Coronado is my secret reserve!!!!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Axel Serenity posted:

The real secret is putting Marriott Gaslamp first and Omni second. :smug:

ohgod please let me get in again this year :ohdear:

Except it's all a mess this year so no one has a "primary" hotel like previous years.

Edit: Wait, did I get a weird form with a box with all the hotels rather than a choice? Anyone else get that?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

So Darko and I got one thing and Axel got another. Who got what form wise?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Just got an email from SDCC regarding the block form versus the other form.

quote:

Dear $FirstName $LastName,

Thank you for submitting your Comic-Con housing request today. According to our records, we realize that you may have experienced a problem with the hotel drop down menu on the form. To ensure accuracy of your hotel preferences, please click on the link below to submit your six (6) hotel choices in order of preference. Once you have submitted your choices we will process your request based on the time stamp from your original submission.

To complete the reservation process quickly and efficiently, your form submission must be received no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on Wednesday, March 25th. Hotel choices cannot be processed via telephone.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,
Travel Planners

So it looks like enough people raised hell over it and I may still get a good hotel.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Oh man, I got the block form and didn't get an email.

Is the link 'private' aka registered to you? If not, can you PM it to me?

I don't believe it's private since they ask for your email address. I've pm'd it to you.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Zeitgueist posted:

Got a receipt for my request but no confirmation, usually by now I'd have a confirm.

:shrug:

Booking confirmations are never this quick. Usually you get a receipt day of (usually about 1-2 PM PDT) but with the hosed form this year, I think they held off on request receipts until the deadline for that (which was 2 PM PDT today). After that point, they sent out the request receipts. Tomorrow we'll probably get booking confirms or letters of regret but they may push into Friday, again because of the colossal fuckup of yesterday.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Jarnet posted:

What happens with all the cancellations from multiple people in one party trying for hotels? Is there a second run of them a few months later? I've never needed one last minute so I don't know how that scramble works.

You check the hotel planners site every day and they have cancelations. Or you book in like hotel circle, which while not ideal, can be both cheaper and easier to deal with since the shuttle now runs 24 hours. Barring wanting to do that, you can also book some where not listed (or not on the shuttle route) and drive in, either a) entering the parking lottery with the terrible ace parking or b) parking at the marriott adjacent and "losing" your ticket when you pull out (this is somewhere in line w/$40/day but puts you next door for parking).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I finished at 9:02 (with the other issues spoken about here) and just got the "no hotels for you" email.

I picked 6 downtown hotels and checked that if they're not available, book me into any available hotel.

This could also be for your second "excuse me while I laugh at you for our mistake" submission though, couldn't it?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Axel Serenity posted:

So far, it's only a few smaller hotels and the Marriott Marquis. The vast majority have not been sent out yet.

Though it sounds like most of the rejections have gone through, which is good.

One person in my party got the Declan, the other 2 of us are still waiting.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Haven't heard anything yet, and I'm hoping that means no news is good news (the SDCC Unofficial Blog says the "no luck" emails go out first).

Last year the "HAHA you suck" emails went out first and then they did the hotels in alpha order.

With the gently caress up on Tuesday, I'm sure they're having a lot more problems but I still would like to believe the no luck emails were first.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Mine just came in. Omni for me. Top choice. Almost feel like I could've put almost anything for my top choice and gotten it but I'm very happy for the Omni. I really like them.

Edit: Nevermind.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 27, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Don't cancel your trip because you didn't get a hotel. There's plenty of hotels and rooms, just not necessarily in the immediate area. Hotel circle will almost certainly get a lot of rooms that open up after this Sunday (you have 72 hours to put your money down or the hotel they gave you goes back into the pool). I do hear the shuttle is actually really good and for the past couple years has run 24 hours if you're into the night life.

Also, follow the light rail track on google maps and look for hotels along that route. The other option is always parking, but that can be a little more of a nightmare at this point.

And this is all on top of the suggestions Darko gave.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Wondercon 2016 coming to LA

This is a one year contract and has everything to do with the fact Anaheim is remodeling the convention center over the next year.

Obviously this can change as I believe Anaheim was a one year contract that extended as well.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

If you try to get anything in the resale, do you have to give up what you already have? (Sorry for the stupid questions, it's my first time when I haven't had a hotel in downtown.)

I believe this is the first time they've ever done a resale. Usually it's just a "go to the website everyday and check" thing if i remember right.

To be safe, I'm sure you could use a different email address and be fine.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

xxEightxx posted:

Is Sunday only worth going? Have a wedding that just popped up trying to figure it out, never been on a Sunday.

Sunday's growing into a real day. If you want exclusives, you'll probably be out of luck but you can get some great deals on the floor from people not wanting to ship poo poo back.

Also the programming's starting to get a little better. You won't have major studios but some fan favourites are usually on Sundays (I know Supernatural, I believe It's Always Sunny too).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

Anyone got a feel for what shows/films are going this year?

Expect the general mainstays of SDCC/TV (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Supernatural, Adult Swim and Cartoon Network shows). From movies, you can probably expect a push from Fox on Deadpool and Fantastic Four as well as Warner showing up with their DC slate in hopefully a better showing than last year (Hey, let's bring the main cast members on stage for like 2 minutes just so we can take a selfie!)

Don't expect Marvel. They've already been confirmed out this year. Also, probably best not to expect some big SDCC showing for the final season of Downton Abbey. That's just not in the cards.

Also, expect utterly bewildering showings of movies and shows that really don't belong at SDCC. Last year Let's Be Cops got a lot of play and for some god awful reason, CBS seems to show up a lot even though their main audience for 90% of their shows is halfway in the grave. But never underestimate the general public's obsessive need to be 100 yards from celebrities.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Did you ever feel like SDCC just wasn't commercial enough? Well, they got your back on that!
http://comic-con.lionsgateapp.com/

The press release is as follows

quote:

We’re thrilled that the biggest pop culture event of the year will become a year-round digital channel for Comic-Con fans and audiences around the world,” said Lionsgate President of Worldwide Television & Digital Distribution Jim Packer. “The fan base for the kind of films and television series showcased at Comic-Con has grown exponentially, and a subscription video-on-demand service is the ideal platform to capture the magic and excitement of the Comic-Con experience year-round as well as the perfect vehicle for Comic-Con fans to discover new content.”

Reflecting the tremendous interest in the diverse roster of comics, films and television series showcased at Comic-Con International each year, the two companies plan to roll out the new service beginning with the U.S. later this year.

“From the beginning of our discussions, nearly two years ago, we have been extremely impressed with Lionsgate’s embracing and understanding of fan culture,” said Comic-Con’s Director of Marketing and Public Relations David Glanzer. “Working with our Lionsgate partners has been an exciting exercise in finding great ways to expand our horizons to deliver the unique magic of Comic-Con and the celebration of comics and popular art to our fans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and around the world.”

“As a next generation studio, Lionsgate has grown up with Comic-Con, and their fans are our audiences,” said Lionsgate President of Interactive Ventures & Games Peter Levin. “We’re excited by the opportunity to expand and enrich the world of Comic-Con for existing fans and extend it to a whole new global audience with a channel distinguished by its imaginative curation, depth and diversity of content and fierce loyalty to the Comic-Con brand.

I will say, if these means Hall H/B20 panels streamed as they happen with media included, I'm all for it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got group 4. I have no idea if that's good, great or utterly atrocious.

Edit: According to their facebook, there were only 6 group emails sent out, each with 500 people.
The convention center has a little under 2000 spots and the Hilton Bayfront has 2000 spots. If you interpolate from that information, if you got an email today with a group number, you're probably parking close and paying not much. If you didn't get an email, start looking for a friend with one.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 15, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Satorr posted:

I got a group 2 email. Yay I think?

Again, to reiterate, there's basically 4000 spots between Hilton Bayfront and Convention Center (2k each). They sent out 3,000 "winning" emails out of 15,000 entries. Each group is 500 people. Group 2 almost ensures pick of the litter. By group 5, you're looking at probably having the choice made for you between the two prizes. However, even group 6 doesn't have far to go, or much to pay, for their daily parking.

Obviously this is all speculation based on data interpolation. There's also probably an allotment at the convention center for exhibitors (I can't say for sure as I don't know honestly).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The other issue w/coronado is the ferry doesn't start until 9AM so if you're looking at arriving early, you're looking at uber/cab again.

However, if you're looking for a relaxing, non-stress con, Coronado is the way to go.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Fox announced their television panels.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-2015-complete-tv-799142

AMERICAN HORROR STORY & SCREAM QUEENS (FX/Fox): In a joint panel, the stars of Fox’s upcoming horror comedy anthology Scream Queens — Jamie Lee Curtis, Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, Skyler Samuels and Keke Palmer — will join American Horror Story: Freak Show/Hotel‘s Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Matt Bomer for a joint Q&A.

BOB’S BURGERS (Fox) Creator/EP Loren Bouchard, EP Jim Dauterive and stars H. Jon Benjamin, Dan MIntz, Eugene Mirman, John Roberts, Kristen Schaal and Larry Murphy will unveil new footage ahead of a Q&A.

DAMIEN (A&E) Executive producer Glen Mazzara will offer a first look at The Omen follow-up with stars Bradley James, Barbara Hershey, Megalyn Echikunwoke and Omid Abtahi — who will all be joined by a special guest.

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (Fox) Will Forte, Kristen Schaal, January Jones and EP Chris Miller will look back on season one and preview season two.

SALEM (WGN America) Stars Shane West, Janet Montgomery, Seth Gabel, Ashley Madekwe and Iddo Goldberg will join EPs Brannon Braga and Adam Simon for a look back at season two.

FAMILY GUY/AMERICAN DAD/BORDERTOWN (Fox/TBS/Fox) Seth MacFarlane will, for the first time, participate in a SDCC panel for the upcoming seasons of Family Guy, American Dad and offer a first look at Fox’s new comedy Bordertown. He’ll be joined by the casts and producers of each show, including: Seth Green, Alex Borstein, Mike Henry, Scott Grimes, Dee Bradley Baker, Wendy Schaal, Rich Appel, Steve Callaghan, Matt Weitzman and Brian Boyle as well as Bordertown‘s Missi Pyle, Nicholas Gonzalez, and Mark Hentemann.

SEX&DRUGS&ROCK&ROLL (FX) The Denis Leary comedy will make its SDCC debut with a screening and panel with Leary, Elizabeth Gillies, John Corbett, Elaine Hendrix, Robert Kelly and John Ales.

THE SIMPSONS (Fox) The longest-running comedy in TV history will preview “Treehouse of Horror XXVI” with creator Matt Groening, EPs Al Jean and Matt Selman, supervising director Mike Anderson, director David Silverman and voice star Nancy Cartwright.

SLEEPY HOLLOW (Fox) Tom Mison, Nicole Beharie, Lyndie Greenwood and the executive producers will offer a first-look at season three.

MINORITY REPORT (Fox) The freshman drama will have its world premiere screening followed by a Q&A with stars Stark Sands, Meagan Good and other cast and producers.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

x-post from figures thread:

quote:

SDCC exclusive for Marvel Legends this year is Dr Strange based.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/06/04/hasbro-doctor-strange-comic-con-exclusive/28478605/

The article has pictures of everything but It's a 5 piece set that's held together by a book of Vishanti.
The figures included are astral Strange, Brother Blood, Dormammu, Magik and Hela. Plus a wearable Eye of Agamotto.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

T&C definitely will have badge pick-up. The official time of pick up is 3 PM but the convention center always lets people pick up early, T&C usually forces the wait until 3.

As a creative pro, if you want in earlier, grab at the convention center. If you just want to get your badge, just wait until 3:30-4 and go downstairs. They're usually really quick about getting people through so the line clears up fast once it's moving.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Previous years you've been able to grab it until about 8:30 at least at the convention center.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Warner Bros may have accidentally leaked their own SDCC line up.
https://comiccon.thewb.com/wbtv-social-media-contacts/

Shows listed as follows (bold = new):
The 100
Arrow
Big Bang Theory
Children's Hospital
The Flash
Gotham
iZombie
The Originals
Person of Interest
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries
Blindspot
Containment
Lucifer
Supergirl
Mike Tyson Mysteries
Teen Titans Go

I would expect the bold to be preview night pilots

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sire Oblivion posted:

I have two friends that are going and they're getting their badges through me, so I have to go regardless. At this point I have nowhere to stay and they booked an AirBnB for just themselves as I thought other plans but those fell through.

You can't stay with them? You'd think with an AirBnB, you'd at least have a couch you could crash on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hate double posting but CCI posted a list of 20 tips for SDCC. This is pretty normal poo poo except for two huge changes: rolly bags and selfie sticks are not allowed anymore. Both of these are real positives except that my wife was going to dress as a stewardess next year to have a rolly bag to carry poo poo around. At least the playing field is leveled for everyone now.

Here's the full list:
http://comic-con.org/toucan/01-lets-get-ready-comic-con-2015

• Locked thread