Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Got my Press application approval today! My first year as Press, so I will probably be flailing around wildly trying to figure out where I have to go.

Wishing you goons godspeed and good luck on the 21st. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Sire Oblivion posted:

Good luck fellow Pros. Also, is there any Professional Badges for WonderCon? The last two years they offered them but there's absolutely nothing on the website about it.

My press badges worked a little differently than I expected for WonderCon, too. Instead of sending out an email with a link for complimentary badges, you go through your Member ID page and there should be a link in there somewhere to claim your WC badge. I can't imagine they still offer free Press to both but not Pro, so it's probably buried under those tabs somewhere.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't see very many goons posting this year compared to my last time, granted, it was during the different registration system, but I have to wonder, is it just not as popular anymore?

lol

I think people are just getting more familiar with the reg system, and there are fewer first-timers. I'm sure it will pick up here closer to, say, hotel reg.

SDCC is in no way going to get any less popular than it is and, in fact, is probably going to grow even more because of its exclusivity.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

I already did because I'm neurotic like that. I know the Pro email said I could get a refund on the Open Reg badge if I get one, but does that also mean I could keep the Open Reg badge and a Pro badge?

EDIT:
Scratch that. I found this line on their site:
You may not purchase badges for others using your own Comic-Con Member ID.

I'm assuming that means I wouldn't be able to buy a second badge for myself with my own ID?

Chances are, once you claim your Pro badge, they may issue an auto-refund down the road anyway.

I mean, you can buy tickets for yourself all you want; Member IDs are tied to names so as long as you are only buying for yourself there shouldn't be an issue. But, really, why would you want two badges for yourself unless you just really hate money? Pro badges give you all five days, so there wouldn't be much reason to keep the Open Reg badge.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

There is no rhyme or reason to this system. Hoping the con makes more sense. Haven't gone since the last system, so just wondering if it's the same chaotic, wonderful shitstorm it always is. Also wondering how early one should be the day before or crack of dawn the day of to get good seats for Ballroom B and Hall H.

I can see why people are upset, but this system really is the best way to deal with the sheer demand of the convention. It's easily the most fair and also prevents the system from crashing out like it used to. Barring an expansion of the center, there really are no "good" options for getting tickets. I mean, Hotel Registration is still first-come first-serve and that poo poo goes in a minute and a half.

As for lines, it depends on the panel. If you wanna do one of the huge Marvel/WB panels, you'll be waiting all day. You might not need to line up the night before, but getting there by 5AM is pretty much essential for Saturday panels. Smaller shows? You may be able to walk right in if a major panel lets out. Last year, my ex and I walked right in to the Giver panel because a big one had just ended, and she managed to stay for a surprise Chris Nolan appearance for Interstellar.

If you want to see cool poo poo, you don't necessarily have to be in one of the Big Two panels to have fun. If you've done them before, my personal opinion is that you'd have a better time doing other things instead of killing a day unless your body just really needs the extra rest sitting Hall H for a few hours can give.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Sire Oblivion posted:

So badges sold out in record time; this is just getting ridiculous. I fear I'll have bad luck for my Pro Badges.

Even if you're Trade (Creative Pro tix are reserved), I doubt they will run out of badges unless you claim, like, the week before the Con. The randomized selection system is likely to control Guest passes, which do sell out and, at least in L.A., are one of the most popular ways of getting badges without going through O.R.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Hijinks Ensue posted:

When you say that creative pro fix are reserved, does that mean we're guaranteed a four-day pass?

All Pro and Press badges are 4+PN. There is no option for anything else. Of course, that also means if you are a Trade Pro, which has to purchase tickets instead of getting them free like CP and Press, you can only buy the $220 option.

According to the last round of emails, Creative Pro and Press badges are guaranteed, yes.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
My actual input time was about the same as last year at around a minute, minute-and-a-half. I wouldn't worry too much about it being slow to load since it was the same for everyone.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The real secret is putting Marriott Gaslamp first and Omni second. :smug:

ohgod please let me get in again this year :ohdear:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RevKrule posted:

Except it's all a mess this year so no one has a "primary" hotel like previous years.

Edit: Wait, did I get a weird form with a box with all the hotels rather than a choice? Anyone else get that?

Uh, you're supposed to put in your hotels in order of preference via a pull-down menu. Once you select one, it saves that below and the pull-down tab resets.

Not sure what you got. :stare:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
If this was your form, I'm afraid you got the wrong one, apparently. :(

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Submission receipts are going out. Keep an eye on your email and double - check the info when it arrives!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

So, I now have 2 separate receipts (different reg codes) with my top 6 downtown hotels. Maybe I'll get 2 different hotels? Who knows! Either way I'll be turning one back in to the pool.

Surprised this worked out so well.

Did you submit twice? Did you have a "bad" form and was asked to refill your selections via email?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Zeitgueist posted:

Got a receipt for my request but no confirmation, usually by now I'd have a confirm.

:shrug:

Hotel confirmations will be tomorrow or possibly early Friday to let you know what hotel you landed at. These are just request confirmations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So far, it's only a few smaller hotels and the Marriott Marquis. The vast majority have not been sent out yet.

Though it sounds like most of the rejections have gone through, which is good.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Got the Marriott Gaslamp! My first choice. Gonna be a great year!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Hijinks Ensue posted:

My choices weren't available so they put me at the Comfort Inn and Suites Zoo Seaworld. At least it's on the shuttle.

This was a weird year and has apparently been even more of a bloodbath than usual. The shuttle is great, though, so it's definitely better than zilch. Looks like users at the 3-minute mark were shut out completely.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Sure. Sometimes, albeit very rarely, downtown hotels will go up throughout the summer. The April 8 sale tends to have further away rooms open for a decent amount of time, so even if it's not great, you may find something closer.

My first year booking on my own, I got in through the late sale at the Sheraton near the airport. The shuttle made it actually pretty nice. It was a really nice hotel, and if I didn't have to run back and forth to my room throughout the convention for work now, I'd gladly stay there again.

As long as you refund your deposit by a certain date, feel free to switch up rooms if something else opens.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Soarer posted:

I still haven't gotten poo poo.

Bristol and US Grant still going out. Was Hilton Bayfront one of your choices? I think that's the BIG one still waiting to send out confirmations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
That's gonna be real nice just taking the Metro downtown. I approve this change

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

This is the second post about the size of the lacc, and it has me a bit confused considering its magnitudes bigger than the San Diego convention center. Why do people think it's smaller?

Because it is. I've written about this before, but here:

quote:

The quoted figures tend to revolve around the size of the convention center. The L.A. Times went so far as to offer alternatives.

“Anaheim may be the most attractive suitor because it can offer the largest exhibit hall space in the region — 815,000 square feet — plus proximity to Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure Park,” writers Hugo Martin and Tony Perry wrote this past January.

However, many of these figures regarding moving to Anaheim or Los Angeles leave out a great deal of information, namely that the convention is more than the Exhibit Hall, the centralized floor full of booths and vendors exhibiting their wares. As anyone who has been to Comic-Con knows, there is much more to the convention than the Exhibit Floor, including the outer hallways and panel showrooms that have become a hallmark of the convention. Once including overall floor space, it’s clear that San Diego is, by and large, the best option in California for the convention.

The total capacity of San Diego’s convention center is estimated at 130,000 people spread over a total floor space of nearly 2.6 Million square feet. While Anaheim is often quoted as having a larger Exhibit Hall, which it does (815,000 sq.ft. to SD’s 615,700), the overall area is much smaller. Anaheim’s floor space is only 1.1 Million sq. ft. and, while exact numbers are hard to find, the overall capacity is estimated to be only 120,000, significantly smaller than San Diego’s when dealing with such huge audiences.

Essentially, the numbers quoted only take into account the Exhibit Floor i.e. where the booths are set up. People quoting the San Diego Center's 615k sq.ft. are not taking into account the ballrooms, side areas, hallways, and extra space that goes into counting total capacity for a building.

So, yeah, you could maybe move the convention to LA or Anaheim if all you care about are the booths, but you'll be fitting a lot fewer people in total. The only convention centers larger than San Diego's that would work for this kind of convention are Chicago (which already has C2E2) and Vegas (which no one legitimately wants unless they care more about parties than the convention).

I couldn't be happier to see SDCC stay through 2018. Although it'd be real nice to take the Metro from Burbank downtown to LA, it just wouldn't be the same convention at all. SD does need to get their legal issues regarding a convention expansion worked out, but I personally love crowded-as-gently caress cons because that's what the atmosphere is all about now. I never experienced the old days of walking up the day-of and getting tickets, and I honestly think it would be significantly more boring if that were still the case.

Give me the crowded halls, cosplay blocking the floor, and overnight camping anyday. It creates the sense of community that makes SDCC what it is now.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 6, 2015

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I waited two hours for a drinking horn the size of my goddamn forearm and it owns and I am getting smashed tonight

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Delzuma posted:

pic? also back when I went in 2009 most entertainment panels (tv shows, movies) gave out free shirts or swag of some type. Has that ended or is it still going on?

look at this loving thing

This was an offsite thing that gives half-off drinks at certain bars downtown. I haven't been into any of the panels yet, but it seems like posters/t-shirts/whatever from other booths are still definitely thing (foam chainsaws for Ashe vs. Evil Dead)!

The drinking horn is one of the better ones I've seen since the PanAm bags a few years ago, but there's still other really cool swag out there if you can keep an eye on Twitter/know where to look. I think Scream Queens is giving free ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

Where did you get the horn?

Ride the Vikings boat. Top of the hour from 9-12 outside the Grand Hyatt then 1-6 at 7th and Market.

• Locked thread