Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I got all but preview night in pre-reg, but I (think I can) help out anyone around that wants to get in now. I'll log in and join and let you guys know if I get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Me and another goon found a handicapped attendant pass on the street that would have probably gotten us places. We didn't use it because that would have been low down

if you do genuinely qualify for a handicapped/disabled pass I imagine there's a lot of perks that come with it fwiw

Maybe you, too, can be "button girl/lady/woman/whatever" and use the handicapped pass to hog all of the questions in Hall H.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I got preview night last year, and ended up just sitting on Coronado beach lounging, heh.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ive got two comps waiting in line for three slots each (two different IDs); hopefully, I can get some days for some of you guys still waiting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

While the hotel bill will suck, there's more than enough to do outside of the building (bars included). Might as well kill a day at the Zoo/Sea World

The Hilton bar is more fun than the con, probably. You end up meeting/running into a lot of stars there, while drinking and having a generally fun time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

I miss the old days where it was a loving blood bath of F5'ing and server time outs and only the strongest made it.

That's how I got in for the first time a few years ago. I emailed them a screenshot of their broke rear end page, and they let me purchase badges.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

One must appreciate the tragic fact that only cool people who have friends were able to get in to a comic book convention.

What's even more interesting is that, in a convention full of people used to following crowds and rules and without gumption, you can pretty much get into everything and do whatever you want to just by acting like you're supposed to be doing whatever you're doing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pan Dulce posted:

There is no rhyme or reason to this system. Hoping the con makes more sense. Haven't gone since the last system, so just wondering if it's the same chaotic, wonderful shitstorm it always is. Also wondering how early one should be the day before or crack of dawn the day of to get good seats for Ballroom B and Hall H.

Last year, I planned on getting into the Hall H line at midnight for Saturday. We were at the Hilton bar and looked outside and saw the line all the way on the pier (it didn't get to the pier until 4am the year before) at 8pm. So, entering the line at 8pm, we were in the last third or so of people that got into Hall H.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the lag and the list made it slow. That list selection process was terrible. 3 min for me as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

If you don't get one of these, just do Coronado island. Rooms ALWAYS open up later, the hotel is full of the larger stars, and you just have to walk or take the free bus down to the ferry and you're right there. And it has an awesome beach, etc. It's much better than anything on the shuttle route.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevKrule posted:

SHHHH!!!! Coronado is my secret reserve!!!!

I meant to say, uh, get the Hampton Inn on the shuttle route - yeah!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Except it's all a mess this year so no one has a "primary" hotel like previous years.

Edit: Wait, did I get a weird form with a box with all the hotels rather than a choice? Anyone else get that?

Everyone got that. It's dumb. I don't even really want anything besides my first three choices anyway; it would help if I could just put like two choices on there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ah, yeah, reloaded, and see I got the wrong form. Oh well, whatever, back on the beach this year.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Downtown hotels open up on the consolation site a few times every year as well if you check it regularly. You typically don't have to worry too much about hotels, except if you want to stay at the Marriott or the Hilton or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Ok so i have no loving idea but I just got a 3rd reservation (different number), 2nd one for the Omni. So i have 2 rooms at the Omni and 1 at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina.

Already confirmed and reserved the only room I need at the Omni.

edit: revkrule what did you say?

Transfer your other Omni reservation to me, then. Hit me up with an IM if you can.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

I hope so because at this point me and my two friends are going to rely on Goons to even go. I might have to cancel the whole trip. :smith:

You can always get hotels; you just have to check the hotel site when it goes up daily for the best stuff to open up.

Also, if you really need one, you can have my consolation one; it's in Old Town, and I don't want it.

edit: And the friends of cci forum has a hotel trade/exchange/transfer spreadsheet up if you join their forum.

Darko fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 27, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is how a transfer works. You add the person you're transferring to as a second occupant, then they call and switch the contact info over to them.

quote:

Just to chime from my experience about an hour ago, I logged in to my newly acquired reservation, added myself as the occupant. I called in. They verified I was the second occupant. Took my CC info over the phone. They changed the contact info (email, billing and phone). I was able to log in with the reservation number, my last name and my phone number.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hotel chat - if anyone was sitting on a crappy one on the shuttle route or doesn't have one yet, the Coronado Marriott just opened briefly (various hotels open up from time to time on travel planners). It's right next to the ferry and the ferry literally drops you off right next to the convention center - its technically one of the most convenient ways there. Only issue is having to cab/uber later at night if you stay out all night.

https://www.tphousing.com/ph2/HotelAvail.aspx

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last year, I had the advantage that all of the Hall H stuff I wanted to see was on Saturday. I wasn't going to do H at all this year, but I do want to see footage from Superman/Batman AND Star Wars is on Friday - that makes it rough.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Some downtown hotels just opened up. The W, a few others ~1 mile away.

edit: if you were waitlisted, I guess

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Any trusting goon pm me a rough/redacted pic of this years badge or a link to one, have to go the craigslist route and short of a ticket printed on a graham cracker I want to have some idea if I'm being scammed.

What do you need one for? If its temporary, you can borrow mine during the day. I ended up spending most of today out on the ocean looking at whales, for instance. I just am forced into doing Hall H Saturday.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jiro posted:

So how are the crowds this year since a few of the big movie studios are skipping out? Is it more comic focused?

Thursday was the most crowded I've seen.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

From my "research," the Hall H line was giving out the wristbands we got for waiting in line at 7 - 8 pm last year Saturday to people in line at 1pm this year. I'm actually about to go to the Hall H line in a bit, but run two hour shifts or something with a friend to make it bearable. I'll probably be in the back of the hall, going by last night's report.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best part of the con for me was probably running into Henry Cavill at Coronado. I learned or reinforced a few "tricks" for upcoming years:

- If you want to meet stars, hang out in Coronado on Sunday, and the Hilton Bayfront bar in the evening after panels.
- The front of the Hall H line is workable if you do shifts with Coronado involved. Everyone tries to eat at crappy hot dog stands and downtown restaurants, which are packed. Just take the ferry to Coronado (which is located right next to the line) and eat at the relatively empty breweries, and relax on the beach for a refresher in between shifts. I did 3 hour shifts, starting at 10am on Friday, and felt fine outside of the sleeping outside part
- Staying downtown is equal to staying at Coronado (if you don't mind Ubering across the bridge at night), and one or the other will ALWAYS open up after the initial hotel rush.
- Don't even go on the convention floor before Sunday since you can't move
- The Hilton Bayfront bathroom is your best friend if you're in the Hall H line
- The late Hall H panels are always walk-ins. Also, the Sunday panels are also walk-ins. For instance, we left Hall H after Tarantino, and walked back in for the WB DCTV panels right before it started.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ehhh, the new security sounds like it will be as stupid as everything else they've tried.

I'm willing to buy up to (2) passes for someone if I get in pre-reg miraculously, hopefully someone can get my one badge as well if they do.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And here we go with the nonsense again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was the easiest year for me. Got mine and Alan Smithee's.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RevKrule posted:

People who got in, did you get in the waiting room before or after they fixed the bullshit this morning?

Before and then refreshed a few times to fix the various problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I really should have gotten in a buying group.

There are two more chances. I got mine in general last year as opposed to presale, and second chance the year before, even though I was eligible for presale each year.

• Locked thread