Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
It's been recognized as an unnecessary practice for over 30 years now but dumbasses still love to talk about it for some reason:

quote:

"In 1971 I stressed protein complementarity because I assumed that the only way to get enough protein ... was to create a protein as usable by the body as animal protein. In combating the myth that meat is the only way to get high-quality protein, I reinforced another myth. I gave the impression that in order to get enough protein without meat, considerable care was needed in choosing foods. Actually, it is much easier than I thought.
"With three important exceptions, there is little danger of protein deficiency in a plant food diet. The exceptions are diets very heavily dependent on [1] fruit or on [2] some tubers, such as sweet potatoes or cassava, or on [3] junk food (refined flours, sugars, and fat). Fortunately, relatively few people in the world try to survive on diets in which these foods are virtually the sole source of calories. In all other diets, if people are getting enough calories, they are virtually certain of getting enough protein."[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_for_a_Small_Planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mr. Buxton: [after Pee-wee and Francis wrestle in the bathtub and Pee-wee is trying to open a window] Pee-wee, Pee-wee what is going on here?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
let my proteins combine with your saliva, OP

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Lamebot posted:

I prefer beans n rice for an optimal amino acid profile

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i don't understand what this thread is about or what op is trying to say

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Lamebot posted:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

fun fact jizz has more carbs than protein in it.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

idgi is op complaining about some dumb book or doesn't know that we need 9 essential amino acids to survive and non animal sources of protein are never a 'complete protein' containing all 9

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Percelus posted:

idgi is op complaining about some dumb book or doesn't know that we need 9 essential amino acids to survive and non animal sources of protein are never a 'complete protein' containing all 9

ROFL whats it like in 1971

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
like, imagine you read a fact in a wikipedia article and all of a sudden you feel to need to go post on an online forum about this fact and how stupid people are for not knowing it

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Lamebot posted:

same

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
going to be honest i don't actually give a flying gently caress and I'll eat all the meat i want

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

ArtIsResistance posted:

like, imagine you read a fact in a wikipedia article and all of a sudden you feel to need to go post on an online forum about this fact and how stupid people are for not knowing it

Actually I've known this ever since completing my post-graduate studies in clinical nutrition years ago. The recent soylent green thread triggered me into a blind rage....I came to moments later, having posted this thread

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

in my experience as a vegetarian ppl are always like "how do you get enough protein"???! and im like "i eat food". also im ripped

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

LordArgh posted:

eat more eggs

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gibbs eat the eggs

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Actually I've known this ever since completing my post-graduate studies in clinical nutrition years ago. The recent soylent green thread triggered me into a blind rage....I came to moments later, having posted this thread

haha cool

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

In Drywall posted:

in my experience as a vegetarian ppl are always like "how do you get enough protein"???! and im like "i eat food". also im ripped

yes but how do you get enough protein?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

plain blue jacket posted:

eggs? he's vegetarian not vegan

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

my cum is NOT a vegan source...however....it IS vegetarian

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
oh this is a problem (or not?) only encountered by vegan retards. that's why i've never heard of it and don't care since i'm a cool guy who eats meat

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

quote:

The exceptions are diets very heavily dependent on [1] fruit or on [2] some tubers, such as sweet potatoes or cassava, or on [3] junk food (refined flours, sugars, and fat). Fortunately, relatively few people in the world try to survive on diets in which these foods are virtually the sole source of calories

This is the funniest part. Because there are definitely lots of people that get most of their calories from poo poo food.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

i dont even rlly think about it...i used to take protein shakes n poo poo bc i have to bike 10 hilly miles a day and also do fairly strenuous workouts in da gym at least every other day. but i stopped protein shakes or even thinking about getting enough protein like a year ago and havent noticed a difference. every1 is different iguess. most protein rich food i eat is greek yogurt, i also eat a lot of pierogis and pizzas and bread n butter

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

lol @ the people who think you need 1g protein/lb of bodyweight also...unless perhaps you are a pro athlete

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

TOILETLORD posted:

eggs? he's vegetarian not vegan

it was a joke toiletlorde

In Drywall posted:

my cum is NOT a vegan source...however....it IS vegetarian

recycling :stare:

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

im a closed system. nothing gets wasted, Dune style

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

In Drywall posted:

im a closed system. nothing gets wasted, Dune style

i eat my fingernails and boogers too

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

it was a joke toiletlorde

recycling :stare:

i also maed joke whoosh

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

In Drywall posted:

lol @ the people who think you need 1g protein/lb of bodyweight also...unless perhaps you are a pro athlete

I'm pretty sure that's the only instance in which that is recommended. Bodybuilding, certain athletes, etc. Unless that's :thejoke:.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the only instance in which that is recommended. Bodybuilding, certain athletes, etc. Unless that's :thejoke:.

"Protein: Eat 1g/pound bodyweight at minimum": http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483424 :D

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

NihilismNow posted:

This is the funniest part. Because there are definitely lots of people that get most of their calories from poo poo food.

it's not saying that protein deficiencies are impossible to develop, just that eating a diet with even a modicum of diversity will ensure that you meet your protein needs.

Your poor reading comprehension is the funniest part IMO

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

it's not saying that protein deficiencies are impossible to develop, just that eating a diet with even a modicum of diversity will ensure that you meet your protein needs.

Your poor reading comprehension is the funniest part IMO

Or you could just not be a vegetarian, like sane people.

I have changed my opinion, the funniest thing is now how emotionally invested you are in 70's vegetarian meal plans.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

im a real 69 pyscho (NOT sane).....but that has little to do with my vegetarianism....

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

in fact, some claim that a good 69 drives me downright bonkers

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

NihilismNow posted:

Or you could just not be a vegetarian, like sane people.

I have changed my opinion, the funniest thing is now how emotionally invested you are in 70's vegetarian meal plans.

im care n real mad IRL......AMA

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

LordArgh posted:

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

the best thing about "doing a 69" is that nothing gets wasted imo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hmm.... general exercise eh?

I just checked and the CDC says the RDI for protein ages 19+ is 56g. I'm currently about195lbs, about 15lbs over the weight I'd like to be, maybe a little less.

MensFitness says that a 4oz chicken breast is about 27g. That would mean I'd have to eat about 7.2 chicken breasts a day (if that's the only thing I eat that gives me protein).

That's a lot.

Edit - I still don't get this thread and have no idea why I'm posting in it.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hmm.... general exercise eh?

I just checked and the CDC says the RDI for protein ages 19+ is 56g. I'm currently about195lbs, about 15lbs over the weight I'd like to be, maybe a little less.

MensFitness says that a 4oz chicken breast is about 27g. That would mean I'd have to eat about 7.2 chicken breasts a day (if that's the only thing I eat that gives me protein).

That's a lot.

yeah it is idiotic lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
im buying protein combined energy bars with additional proteins and more taste added.

• Locked thread