Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The lady screaming AHHHH. AHHHH. might have actually been the hardest I've ever laughed at Twin Peaks. Every bit of her performance ruled.

Same, especially since it was almost the same pattern as her honking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

RBX posted:

You're talking Larua Palmer in the black lodge?

Assumed you were talking about the latest episode which spends a lot of time on a lady screaming and it's amazing! The Laura stuff from season 2 is actually terrifying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cacator posted:

I was going to say that the stupid paternity plot line was a huge waste of time but even that tangentially has a most wonderful payoff in season 3 :allears:

Now the James Hurley and the lonely housewife story, that was a huge waste of time.

Watch as that turns out to be absolutely critical to the final episode

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Now the James Hurley and the lonely housewife story, that was a huge waste of time.

That's really the only storyline I legitimately hate and wish I could skip. It's just pointless, features the show's worst character, and isn't at least funny in some way like a lot of the other similarly pointless storylines.

On the other hand, I love the Nadine amnesia storyline and the Civil War General Ben Horne storyline, so I'm never really tempted to skip entire episodes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Having only recently gone through Twin Peaks for the first time, the only plot line I legit couldn't stand was the Andy/Lucy/Dick baby drama. Dick Tremayne is easily the worst character, James has nothing on him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having only recently gone through Twin Peaks for the first time, the only plot line I legit couldn't stand was the Andy/Lucy/Dick baby drama. Dick Tremayne is easily the worst character, James has nothing on him.

Somehow I'd come around on Dick Tremayne by the end of that storyline, I think his ridiculousness eventually won me over. I can totally understand the character grating on some people's nerves though.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok watching the movie and I already could see that was Donna trying to emulate Laura through the series but the movie making that very explicit was something I didn't think about.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Somehow I'd come around on Dick Tremayne by the end of that storyline, I think his ridiculousness eventually won me over. I can totally understand the character grating on some people's nerves though.

I think what's endearing about Dick Tremayne is that he's obviously a pompous lecherous sleaze, and yet anytime he's actually presented with a sexual opportunity, it completely goes over his head. He's totally oblivious. I also like how he doesn't seem to remember ever having sex with Lucy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

Ok watching the movie and I already could see that was Donna trying to emulate Laura through the series but the movie making that very explicit was something I didn't think about.

Seeing what Laura went through first hand in the movie(although even that is just a small fraction of it), you really see those first few episodes of the series differently. I'm talking specifically about Donna, James, and Bobby, and how they're dealing with the fact that something shocking but yet almost tragically expected has happened to Laura. They knew Laura well enough to know this was something that could happen but they didn't know her well enough to know why. Their confusion began long before Laura's death and I think they both come to realize over the course of the series that Laura shielded them and in a way, saved them. If she'd invited them into that part of their life, as they wanted, I doubt either would have survived. Certainly not Bobby, had Laura roped him in any more than she already had he'd probably be dead.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

don't talk bad about my boy dick tremayne

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Basebf555 posted:

Seeing what Laura went through first hand in the movie(although even that is just a small fraction of it), you really see those first few episodes of the series differently. I'm talking specifically about Donna, James, and Bobby, and how they're dealing with the fact that something shocking but yet almost tragically expected has happened to Laura.
Definitely. The last time I rewatched the first season (very recently) I made sure to remember that Bobby had actually killed a guy days prior.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The movie was awesome and my expectations were kinda off. I expected brutal deaths but what he did made them way more impactful.

Now to start Season 3 on Hulu.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Definitely. The last time I rewatched the first season (very recently) I made sure to remember that Bobby had actually killed a guy days prior.

One of the first questions his therapist asks is if he ever killed someone too.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cromulent posted:

I have a feeling that's never going to be addressed again. It seems like a big misstep because they wanted to give something Bobby to do in the movie. Plus it kind of spoils his arc in the show, particularly S3.

Nothing really about his characterisation in the show after really jives with what happened, unlike Donna for example where her story in the movie is an extension of that in the show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I have a feeling that's never going to be addressed again. It seems like a big misstep because they wanted to give something Bobby to do in the movie. Plus it kind of spoils his arc in the show, particularly S3.

Nothing really about his characterisation in the show after really jives with what happened, unlike Donna for example where her story in the movie is an extension of that in the show.

Yeah, no one has ever turned from a life of crime and/or violence and become a good person willing to help their community as a form of repentance for their idiotic juvenile self.

:jerkbag:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Have you actually seen the movie recently? You may be remembering that scene wrong, he does kill the guy, and it's definitely murder, but at the same time it's still very much Bobby being Bobby. He brings a gun thinking he's a major badass, but then ends up pulling it in a panic in self defense because the crooked cop was drawing his too. He's got a wild-eyed panic on his face the entire time.

So he did a terrible thing, absolutely, but the way it went down is totally in line with Bobby's character. A kid who's basically a good hearted person, who thinks he has to be a tough guy because that's what Laura likes and it's the opposite of what he perceives his father to be.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Have you actually seen the movie recently? You may be remembering that scene wrong, he does kill the guy, and it's definitely murder, but at the same time it's still very much Bobby being Bobby. He brings a gun thinking he's a major badass, but then ends up pulling it in a panic in self defense because the crooked cop was drawing his too. He's got a wild-eyed panic on his face the entire time.

So he did a terrible thing, absolutely, but the way it went down is totally in line with Bobby's character. A kid who's basically a good hearted person, who thinks he has to be a tough guy because that's what Laura likes and it's the opposite of what he perceives his father to be.

He's also about halfway through a bottle of whisky, stoned on at least one or two drugs, and the killing, while not good or justifiable, is still self-defense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

He's also about halfway through a bottle of whisky, stoned on at least one or two drugs, and the killing, while not good or justifiable, is still self-defense.

The reason I say it's still murder(as in, he could be convicted of it if caught) is that he pauses for a second and then executes the guy by shooting him in the back of the head. The first two shots were absolutely self-defense though. But even with all that it doesn't mean he's an irredeemable person or that it's completely unbelievable that he'd become a cop later in life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The reason I say it's still murder(as in, he could be convicted of it if caught) is that he pauses for a second and then executes the guy by shooting him in the back of the head. The first two shots were absolutely self-defense though. But even with all that it doesn't mean he's an irredeemable person or that it's completely unbelievable that he'd become a cop later in life.

If anything, I'd say it's why he became a cop. As soon as that was revealed, it just made complete sense to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

If anything, I'd say it's why he became a cop. As soon as that was revealed, it just made complete sense to me.

He spends basically the entire series coming to terms with what happened to Laura and also why he's been such a gently caress-up for most of his life. And by the end we do see that he's very close to the light at the end of that tunnel, so yea if he were just the same shitbag 25 years later that would be more contradictory than anything else.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I really liked Bobby watching the series. He was the most...realistic character. I could understand everything he did in all his situations. He wasn't a saint but he wasn't an rear end in a top hat and that's hard to pull off.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Elephant Man is a good movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still can't believe that Mel Brooks of all people produced that and got Lynch to direct it because of how he loved Eraserhead.

Anyways yeah Elephant Man owns.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is Twin Peaks worth watching considering how bad it supposedly gets? One thing I loving hate about TV shows is watching them slowly turn to poo poo or being abruptly canceled.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yes.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Or wait another month then watch the entire series as a single, 18-hour long film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they meant the original

But yes, watch it all

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I think they meant the original

But yes, watch it all

Yes. I've never seen the original series and I've heard it turns to poo poo in season 2.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It gets less fun and some of the more boring plots take over because the main mystery gets solved, but it's only 20-something episodes and the first 9 are still excellent. There's at least one good plot/thing in each episode though and the last few are much better, with the very last episode being incredible, one of the best of the entire show. There's a handy chart somewhere but it won't kill you to watch the whole thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The chart is dumb and you should just watch the whole show if you want to watch it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kinda find the bad episodes of Twin Peaks worth watching just for how dumb things get

A character goes crazy and thinks he's a civil war general and there's an entire subplot about saving an endangered pine weasel

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the ways those episodes stand in contrast to the S2 finale, FWWM, and now The Return is super cool and good.

Also the Civil War stuff owns and genuinely fits into Lynch and Frost's themes in the series, even if the execution is nothing like they would do.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Yeah that part is good, the boring parts are James' plot and the idea that anyone knows or cares what's going on with the mill.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
So if David Lynch's movies exist in the same universe does that mean that when Sheryl Lee shows up in Wild At Heart as the good witch that's actually Laura Palmer as one of the lodge spirits talking to Sailor?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Super-Id posted:

So if David Lynch's movies exist in the same universe does that mean that when Sheryl Lee shows up in Wild At Heart as the good witch that's actually Laura Palmer as one of the lodge spirits talking to Sailor?

They aren't and no.

The only two that's tangentially related to each other are Lost Highway to Twin Peaks, because Lynch said they're "in the same world" at one point, and even that's a stretch.

Nothing's related, some just have similar imagery to others.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Also the White Lodge is Club Silencio, and the woman behind Winkie's has a striking resemblance to certain denizens of the Black Lodge.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also the White Lodge is Club Silencio, and the woman behind Winkie's has a striking resemblance to certain denizens of the Black Lodge.

Or they just liked using that set and wanted to use it again and David Lynch likes the imagery of a tarry/oily deranged person and used it again in Twin Peaks without them being related.

It's fun in an easter-egg way, and it's nice to draw parallels to themes between his works and repeated imagery, but to say "Oh yeah, the white lodge is actually Club Silencio and Mulholland Drive has denizens of the black lodge invading dreams" diminishes the two entities and makes illogical comparisons. They're easter eggs. There's a stuffed animal in TP S3 that looks like a character from Dumbland, that doesn't mean that that's an actual TV show in TP that's been merchandised, it's there because it feels right or it's fun.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Franchescanado posted:

The only two that's tangentially related to each other are Lost Highway to Twin Peaks, because Lynch said they're "in the same world" at one point, and even that's a stretch.
I've yet to see the source of that quote, even though I've seen it repeated for years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cromulent posted:

I've yet to see the source of that quote, even though I've seen it repeated for years.

I believe it comes from Lynch On Lynch, but I'd have to search through my copy when I get home and see the direct quote. Looking it up, it seems that "comes from the same place" possibly refers to the idea comes from a similar origin, not necessarily that they are in the same "reality" or canon.

If I find it, I'll post a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Raxivace posted:

I still can't believe that Mel Brooks of all people produced that and got Lynch to direct it because of how he loved Eraserhead.

Anyways yeah Elephant Man owns.
His description of Lynch as Jimmy Stewart from Mars is perfect

• Locked thread