Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I love it. :) But he seems to begin the story with "In the beginning, there was no Bob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Yb6ghCmzA

Going by this "Bob" was picked to appear by the bed and be seen by Laura's mom before the mirror accident. :aaaaa:

Bob himself was set dresser Frank Silva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

metricchip posted:

I could listen to David Lynch talk about drat near anything for hours and hours.

Everything about him, from his tone of voice to the actual words coming out of his mouth are absolutely mesmerizing and brilliant.

Personally I think Werner Herzog has him beat there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just watched Lost Highway because of this thread.

I liked it, but my appreciation is a lot more intellectual than most David Lynch films. Robert Blake and Robert Loggia were both great, and the tailgating scene was pretty hilarious. It didn't hit me on the same visceral level as Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet.

Is the idea that Fred came up with the Pete Dayton thing as a desperate excuse for his murder?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is the idea that Fred came up with the Pete Dayton thing as a desperate excuse for his murder?

Sure seems like it, Doesn't it? But there's a line when they're investigating the scene: "We've got Pete Dayton's prints all over this place."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just watched Lost Highway because of this thread.

I liked it, but my appreciation is a lot more intellectual than most David Lynch films. Robert Blake and Robert Loggia were both great, and the tailgating scene was pretty hilarious. It didn't hit me on the same visceral level as Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet.

I like Lost Highway a lot, but I feel the same way as you do - it didn't quite strike me on the emotional level that Mulholland Drive did. Still, it's a really good movie, and Robert Loggia is great in it. "You doin' okay Pete? I'm real glad to know you're doin' okay." And of course, the tailgating scene you mentioned. I think I once heard Michael Anderson (guy who plays The Man From Another Place on TP) say that he was driving with Lynch once and Lynch went off on a similar rant about tailgaters.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Lynch is quite possibly my favourite modern director - there's a level of exacting detail in every single thing and it all comes across as so casual that it's all fascinating to me. I'm lucky enough to have a front row seat to a "In Conversation" session in March which accompanies our Gallery of Modern Art's Lynch exhibition of paintings as well as showing his entire filmography and screening all of Twin Peaks at their attached cinema. It's gonna be good.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I've been wondering when someone was going to make this thread! David Lynch is probably my favorite director and he's been a huge inspiration on my process as an artist.

I recently had the opportunity to see an exhibition of David Lynch's work, The Unified Field, over at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art. They had a bunch of his older drawings from around the time he made Eraserhead and some of his newer work. There was also a restaging of one of his first short films, Six Men Getting Sick. The animation's projected on this plaster wall with busts climbing out from it. It's one of the few pieces of art I've seen that's made me have an actual physical reaction, and it really needs to be seen in person.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2015

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
The Straight Story is his most experimental movie for sure, he said so himself. Anyways it's a beautiful and touching Lynch movie that you can watch with your grandma. Criminally underrated.

Fire Walk With Me is the best horror film of the 90's and possibly his masterpiece.

Here's a must watch behind the scenes of Inland Empire video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLry85Twhno

"I want a one-legged sixteen year-old girl."

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Just watched Lost Highway on blu-ray. What a beautiful version. The video is very clear and detailed. There is occasional lens flare but as a result of lensing not video issues. The audio is very dynamic. I can't recommend this enough.

This European release had scene selection (DL releases don't always), 5.1 audio and widescreen. The extras are shorts Darkened Room, Boat, Lamp, Out Yonder, Industrial Soundscape, Bug Crawls and Intervalometer Experiments. These are all shot on non-high def video, so no blu-ray enhancement on those. No LH-related extras.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Just watched Lost Highway on blu-ray. What a beautiful version. The video is very clear and detailed. There is occasional lens flare but as a result of lensing not video issues. The audio is very dynamic. I can't recommend this enough.

This European release had scene selection (DL releases don't always), 5.1 audio and widescreen. The extras are shorts Darkened Room, Boat, Lamp, Out Yonder, Industrial Soundscape, Bug Crawls and Intervalometer Experiments. These are all shot on non-high def video, so no blu-ray enhancement on those. No LH-related extras.

Which version did you buy/are you european? I've always held off on those new Blu-Ray releases because i'm deathly afraid of buying them and not being able to play them on my PS3.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Which version did you buy/are you european? I've always held off on those new Blu-Ray releases because i'm deathly afraid of buying them and not being able to play them on my PS3.

I bought the MK2/Absurda release in Europe (where I live). It is Region B. (Blu-ray regions are different to DVD regions. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code#mediaviewer/File:Blu-ray-regions_with_key.svg ) I am playing it on a dedicated blu-ray player hooked up to my laptop.
Good luck!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really love Dune. Lynch does not, for very understandable reasons as he was forced to do extensive cutting and didn't have the control he did on other films, and we'll probably never see it as he intended, but drat it's one of the most atmospheric sci-fi movies ever. Everything about it is so drat majestic.

Overall there always seems to be a strong moral sense in Lynch's films, in that they posit that evil exists and is around us. The good doesn't always win but there's always a struggle.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really love Dune. Lynch does not, for very understandable reasons as he was forced to do extensive cutting and didn't have the control he did on other films, and we'll probably never see it as he intended, but drat it's one of the most atmospheric sci-fi movies ever. Everything about it is so drat majestic.

Overall there always seems to be a strong moral sense in Lynch's films, in that they posit that evil exists and is around us. The good doesn't always win but there's always a struggle.

Something else I find interesting about Lynch's morality is that there are very few gray areas. Good is GOOD and evil is EVIL. There are no roguish, badass antiheroes or villains you root for in spite of yourself. Heroes are uncomplicated, often innocent, sometimes even a bit old-fashioned, and villains are ugly, scary, perverse, sick, unsettling. Cable TV shows partially inspired by Twin Peaks are full of amoral protagonists, but nobody would ever root for BOB, Frank Booth, Bobby Peru, or Robert Blake's Mystery Man. Dale Cooper is kind of a square, but he's OUR square, and we love him for it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Something else I find interesting about Lynch's morality is that there are very few gray areas. Good is GOOD and evil is EVIL. There are no roguish, badass antiheroes or villains you root for in spite of yourself. Heroes are uncomplicated, often innocent, sometimes even a bit old-fashioned, and villains are ugly, scary, perverse, sick, unsettling. Cable TV shows partially inspired by Twin Peaks are full of amoral protagonists, but nobody would ever root for BOB, Frank Booth, Bobby Peru, or Robert Blake's Mystery Man. Dale Cooper is kind of a square, but he's OUR square, and we love him for it.

I dunno about that. There are characters like BOB who represent platonic evil, but on the other hand what is Blue Velvet about if not rejecting that simplistic Manichean dichotomy of good and evil? For the most part Jeffrey seems uncomplicated, innocent, old-fashioned, but he also is sexually aroused by watching a woman being raped in front of him. Just like Lynch himself seems like a sweet grandfatherly guy but he's spent his entire life devoted to making films about the deepest horrors and evils people can commit.

In Twin Peaks Leland, Laura, Bobby (not BOB), and in the end Dale all have the potential for good at points but eventually they succumb to evil through choices of their own.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 25, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
David Lynch is all about the interaction of our inner self with the rest of the world. How do we project ourselves to others, and how do we allow others to influence us? What about others do we project to others? That's half the mystery of Twin Peaks, Dale Cooper navigating a web of projections and lies about Laura Palmer, and finding out not only what others know but what reason they have to say or hide what they've said or hidden. BOB is the evil, not merely an evil. He is the corruption. In Blue Velvet it's the same - Jeffrey peeps through the shutters and sees and sees Frank Booth merging his corrupted, twisted side with his pure, innocent side, because that's something that we all wrestle with. What of you do you keep as you move down the road and turn into someone else? How do you merge now with later? How do you live with yourself? Lynch so often presents this split as being literal cohabitation - as someone pointed out earlier, there's no discernible difference between the Black and the White Lodge. The pattern on the floor is the same, but what happens on it isn't.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

And by the same token, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are about people who try to build alternate projections of themselves, new idealized alternate identities, but fail since they ignore the more negative aspects of their characters. Fred Madison does this over and over in Lost Highway, first building an alternate world where Renee wasn't murdered, then by abandoning himself all together and crafting the Pete Dayton persona. Both these attempts fail, since each time he denies his passions and jealousy they just come back, first in the form of the videotapes, then in the form of Alice Wakefield, and the fantasy collapses. Something similar happens in Mulholland Drive, with Diane Selwyn creating her Betty Elms persona and her idealized Rita, only for the two of them to continually dance around the lives of the actual Diane and Camilla.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The same notion seems to be at the heart of Inland Empire, which repeatedly blurs the line between Nikki and the character she plays in the film within a film, making us (and her) unsure about whether we're seeing an act of infidelity or merely a staged scene. This spirals into Nikki eventually losing her identity altogether.

I also just want to take a moment to reflect on how great Lynch is as an interview subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqhiC4zcGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wh_mc8hRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I think IE is two (or maybe three) brilliant memorable short films chopped up and diluted in one overlong, indulgent mess. (And he had already done Rabbits before, so why we needed it again, I don't know.) I don't think DL had a proper script and he edited it himself - which was fatal. Mary Sweeney did a great job on his previous films and DL needs some constraints to channel his work. He filmed too much because it was digital, so he didn't need to economise with film. That left him with too much material. IE lacks the humour, wit, memorable characters, approachability and balance that made his previous work great. I've watched IE two or three times and I can't remember a single character's name. You can't say that about any of DL's previous films good, bad or patchy. I am not anti-arthouse (Eraserhead is my favourite DL film) but IE is a mess.

E: After IE there was a long period when fans thought he'll just promote TM and make art and never make another film. I said "If any more films are like IE then I'm glad he'll never make any more." And I'm a real hardcore Lynchian. That's how irritated IE made me.

IE was an extremely unique film experience for me. I had just moved to Arizona and learned about a small independent theater not far from me (aside from being the local dollar theater, they'd also do the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday nights, screen movies like Hammer's Dracula films or Coffy or The Holy Mountain, and other fun stuff like that) and I found out through their MySpace that they were doing a David Lynch film festival one weekend. I was literally the only person to show up (it was in Chandler, AZ so I wasn't surprised). The owner of the theater was a cool guy, and his attitude was basically "hey, you showed up, I'll run everything we had planned if you want" so we watched a few of Lynch's short films together and then he left me alone to watch IE for the first time. Sitting alone in that empty theater, furiously chain-smoking, trying to wrap my head around what was going on - it was one of my favorite film experiences ever. I've since tried to watch the film at home and usually get distracted or don't finish it (and like you, I'm a pretty die-hard fan of his) and I do feel as though it's too self-indulgent now, but that first time I saw it I was just engrossed by it. Really weird experience. Even had to ask the owner to take a little break afterwards (we ate some tacos together) before jumping back in for Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and the TP pilot because the dark empty theater felt oppressively claustrophobic by the end of the film

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh my god, I want to watch Inland Empire in a dark empty theater.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 28, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Watched Lost Highway, didn't uderstand it at all. Start's as a horror film, becomes a cheap mafioso kinda flick and ends as an revenge movie. At times kinda goofy. Didn't get anything out of it.

Is Fire walk With Me good? I really really love the very first Twin Peaks episode but after that it becomes a soap opera so didn't care about it after that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anyone else have this issue with Lost Highway: Lynch's cameo castings of Henry Rollins and Richard Pryor really stuck out to me in a way that broke the spell. It's a very hypnotic film but as soon as Henry Rollins showed up I couldn't take it seriously anymore. It lost the otherworldly quality because bam - Henry Rollins outta nowhere.

General word of advice for anybody ever interviewing an artist of any medium. Never ask them if a symbol means something specific because you're going to look like an idiot when your specific interpretation isn't validated.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtIr_ThveF0

"I have cooked three meals."

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2015

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Fire walk With Me good? I really really love the very first Twin Peaks episode but after that it becomes a soap opera so didn't care about it after that.

Well the film is definitely not a soap opera. I vastly prefer it to Lost Highway, although I like both.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's awesome, and might appeal to you because it specifically goes out of its way to demolish the soapy tone of the show (which I love).

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
David Lynch is one of my heroes. I look up to the man and his great body of work. A few weeks ago I discovered his audiobook of Catching The Big Fish and did nothing but get high and listen to the soothing voice of David Lynch over and over.I have listened to that audiobook at least 20 times. Highly suggest checking it out.

If there was a tape of David Lynch just counting numbers, I would go to sleep to it every night.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

ManOfTheYear posted:

It's incredibly unlike the series (to the point where it really seems to piss off a lot of fans of the show), there's no sight of the soapishness that the series spoofed/embraced as it went on. You get a lot of what made that first episode of Twin Peaks so good, and some really dark, haunting, often heartbreaking Lynchian storytelling as it explores what led up to the pilot.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

FWWM is weird - I feel like watching the show helps your understanding and appreciation of the film, but I like the movie a lot more. I watched the run of TP exactly once, and I watch FWWM all the time. I feel like it's superior to the show but there's a lot of background information about the characters involved that's only explored in the show. Dale Cooper in particular is given next to no characterization in the film, but it's such an important link to what's happening.

Pops Ghostly
Dec 20, 2014

by Ralp

Full Battle Rattle posted:

FWWM is weird - I feel like watching the show helps your understanding and appreciation of the film, but I like the movie a lot more. I watched the run of TP exactly once, and I watch FWWM all the time. I feel like it's superior to the show but there's a lot of background information about the characters involved that's only explored in the show. Dale Cooper in particular is given next to no characterization in the film, but it's such an important link to what's happening.

Dale Cooper was supposed to play a major part, but he along with the rest of the cast were pissed at Lynch and blamed him for the cancelation of the show. So several of them refused to be a part of it, and Machlachan only agreed to shoot a few scenes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Pops Ghostly posted:

Dale Cooper was supposed to play a major part, but he along with the rest of the cast were pissed at Lynch and blamed him for the cancelation of the show. So several of them refused to be a part of it, and Machlachan only agreed to shoot a few scenes.

I am aware of this, and in the film he's just popped in like any old FBI agent. Knowing who he is and what he gets into makes those scenes richer. Personally, I don't think having Dale Cooper visit the anti-twin peaks would have been nearly as effective. He would have had to have been more hard nosed and it would have seemed out of character for him. Chet Desmond ended up being a much better idea - I like that he was Gordon Cole's first choice to investigate the BOB killings.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Who was it that said the series is from Cooper's perspective of the town as a quaint, cheery place with a hidden darkness. Whereas the film is Laura's view of a dark, horrific place masquerading as a quiet mountain town? That's spot on. And having Cooper be a bigger part in the film than he is probably would have clashed either by brightening up the movie, or making Cooper too serious.

But I wouldn't recommend watching the movie without seeing the show. There's certain threads in the film that need the show for explanation, and while the mystery is appealing, the ending isn't nearly as satisfying without the entire series leading up to it.

It should be noted that the film was the first of a planned trilogy. I can't remember if Lynch ever expanded on what the other two films would have been about, I think David Bowie's character would have been explored more. But FWWM tanked at the box office and so the next two films never materialized. Plus MacLachlan was worried about typecasting and didn't want to only be known as Dale Cooper.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

Who was it that said the series is from Cooper's perspective of the town as a quaint, cheery place with a hidden darkness. Whereas the film is Laura's view of a dark, horrific place masquerading as a quiet mountain town? That's spot on. And having Cooper be a bigger part in the film than he is probably would have clashed either by brightening up the movie, or making Cooper too serious.

But I wouldn't recommend watching the movie without seeing the show. There's certain threads in the film that need the show for explanation, and while the mystery is appealing, the ending isn't nearly as satisfying without the entire series leading up to it.

It should be noted that the film was the first of a planned trilogy. I can't remember if Lynch ever expanded on what the other two films would have been about, I think David Bowie's character would have been explored more. But FWWM tanked at the box office and so the next two films never materialized. Plus MacLachlan was worried about typecasting and didn't want to only be known as Dale Cooper.

That was probably me in my effortpost a few pages back :)

But yeah, I feel like watching the show increases your ability to enjoy and understand the movie.

David Bowie's part was expanded in the movie itself, it just got cut. He bugged out to Argentina, I think, and he got pulled back to the FBI office through the black lodge. He told them what he saw (we get to see a part of it) and then disappears.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
The only person who was actually unwilling to come back was Lara Flynn Boyle, who didn't get along with Lynch, plus there were scheduling issues with Sherilyn Fenn. Everyone else did come back but had their scenes cut for the sake of runtime. If you watch the extra 90 minutes that were on the blu ray there's plenty of soap opera stuff. The film is better off without it though, the tone would have been all over the place.

That being said a lot of the cast were upset with Lynch and Frost because they felt abandoned and knew the writing wasn't as good during the rough patch when neither was there. Just usual LA drama though. No serious grudges.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah the first half of FWWM is hilarious and it only really works if you get that they are going with bizzaro Twin Peaks. The deleted scenes also show some stuff that they were going to build on like Kiefer.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah the first half of FWWM is hilarious and it only really works if you get that they are going with bizzaro Twin Peaks. The deleted scenes also show some stuff that they were going to build on like Kiefer.

I forget what the town was called but I love the crummy diner with the grouchy waitress and poo poo food. It's a good gag but also establishes that this movie isn't going to be welcoming or friendly. Also, without watching the show and seeing the theme song so many times, you lose the rush of Cutting to the shot of the Welcome to Twin Peaks sign while the theme song plays.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I just saw this thread. David Lynch has been one of the biggest inspirations in my life. Discovering Eraserhead at the age of 14 changed my life. It's my favorite film of all time. I've seen it over 60 times, and every time I find something new in it. I carried around a copy of Lynch on Lynch with me at all times and read it religiously when I was 15. I've read nearly everything that's ever been printed about him in the English language. I've watched Twin Peaks beginning to end 14 times. I've seen three exhibitions of his paintings (the new stuff is amazing, but my favorite stuff is from the early nineties. ) I think he represents the world more accurately than any other filmmaker.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Two Worlds posted:

I just saw this thread. David Lynch has been one of the biggest inspirations in my life. Discovering Eraserhead at the age of 14 changed my life. It's my favorite film of all time. I've seen it over 60 times, and every time I find something new in it. I carried around a copy of Lynch on Lynch with me at all times and read it religiously when I was 15. I've read nearly everything that's ever been printed about him in the English language. I've watched Twin Peaks beginning to end 14 times. I've seen three exhibitions of his paintings (the new stuff is amazing, but my favorite stuff is from the early nineties. ) I think he represents the world more accurately than any other filmmaker.
:wtc:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

I forget what the town was called but I love the crummy diner with the grouchy waitress and poo poo food.

"Hap's Diner" - it is like the exact opposite of RR Diner - yin and yang. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm sure Lynch planned it that way.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

TrixRabbi posted:

I forget what the town was called

Deer Meadow.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If this is the same Two Worlds I remember an obsession with David Lynch comes as no surprise at all.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Two Worlds posted:

I think he represents the world more accurately than any other filmmaker.

That's because you're insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

I know, why isn't he obsessed with something stupid like most people are?

• Locked thread