Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

"Hap's Diner" - it is like the exact opposite of RR Diner - yin and yang. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I'm sure Lynch planned it that way.

Also the police force. In Twin Peaks they were all nice and helpful while in Deer Meadow they did not want the help and seemed to get in the way as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, let's not forget Chester Desmond. He has the same intuitive gifts as Dale Cooper, but while Dale loved the world and everything in it, Chester treats everyone he meets with polite contempt and uses his abilities to show his superiority to everyone around him.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

This was pretty cool, a 90s segment on Lynch from "The Incredibly Strange Film Show".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On02Z42mznc

Come for the David Lynch, stay for the Nicholas Cage. "Love can be weird-uh."

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hell, let's not forget Chester Desmond. He has the same intuitive gifts as Dale Cooper, but while Dale loved the world and everything in it, Chester treats everyone he meets with polite contempt and uses his abilities to show his superiority to everyone around him.

I don't think he really would have had any contempt for them if they hadn't tried to stonewall his investigation immediately. The officer on duty fucks with him from the get-go. It makes me wonder what Dale Cooper would have done when dealing with law men who were blatantly obstructing justice. Likewise, the woman in the diner doesn't really help him either, but he's still fairly polite regardless. He does kinda gently caress with his partner, but it seems good natured enough. He also gets along and jokes with Harry Dean Stanton, before that abused lady shows up.

I still wonder what the function of the ring is, though - it makes Chet Desmond disappear, and he is never seen again - even in the red room, but it somehow aids Laura before she's murdered? Why does Dale tell her not to take it, even though it appears to be the only thing that saves her from getting possessed? I wonder if it'll show up in the new iteration of TP.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I just watched Mulholland Drive. I loved it. It was fascinating.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

juniperjones posted:

I just watched Mulholland Drive. I loved it. It was fascinating.

This is the best, most succinct Mulholland Drive review ever.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE QUARTER VIEW OF AN ADULT SHARING HIS OBSESSION WITH STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET.

As for Lynch representing the world, this is frightening to me because for me personally, Lynch somehow knows how to capture my nightmares on screen. I watch a lot of horror films, but Lynch is the only director who has made me pause a film so I can regroup and have a glass of cold water to calm down.

Also re-watching Twin Peaks again recently did some serious messing with my dreams for at least a week.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is the best, most succinct Mulholland Drive review ever.

Thank you, bub!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched them in forever but I distinctly remember really liking the two TV shows he did that nobody ever remembers: American Chronicles and On the Air.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

I haven't watched them in forever but I distinctly remember really liking the two TV shows he did that nobody ever remembers: American Chronicles and On the Air.

On the Air is great. Have you seen David Lynch's Hotel Room?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What the hell? How did I never know this existed!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icCVy2byevg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TrixRabbi posted:

What the hell? How did I never know this existed!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icCVy2byevg

CBS tried as hard as possible to bury it.

I forget why American Chronicles didn't do well, probably just because it wasn't all that weird, just a documentary series on slightly weird things.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I imagine most of the people in this thread have already read this, but just in case:

http://www.lynchnet.com/lh/lhpremiere.html

One of my favorite DFW pieces, and some great insight on Lynch from a man who didn't even get to interview him.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So, I was watching Inland Empire today, and I discovered Terry Crews was in it. He was one of the three homeless people in Nikki/Sue's death scene.

Did not see that one coming.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

InfiniteZero posted:

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE QUARTER VIEW OF AN ADULT SHARING HIS OBSESSION WITH STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET.

As for Lynch representing the world, this is frightening to me because for me personally, Lynch somehow knows how to capture my nightmares on screen. I watch a lot of horror films, but Lynch is the only director who has made me pause a film so I can regroup and have a glass of cold water to calm down.

Also re-watching Twin Peaks again recently did some serious messing with my dreams for at least a week.

I have no idea why I typed "represent." I meant that his films are the most accurate depiction of reality that I've ever seen.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5USLpPa_0

David Lynch answers a question you never thought you knew the answer to - but what happens when a guy with a Hitler mustache does a strip-tease? And the mustache is how that guy usually looked. He wasn't regularly doing a strip-tease.

Amazingly, this single was the band's first top 100 single in the US.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just got back from a Lynch-inspired art exhibit. They had a projector showing some of his older stuff on a loop, so I got to see some things I'd never seen before like Alphabet and The Grandmother. Seeing Six Men Getting Sick (Six Times) projected onto a giant wall with the air raid sirens cranked up was very cool.

They also had a separate lounge that they turned into the Black Lodge (you had to walk through a miniature maze of red curtains with a strobe light going off to get there) where they had a band playing smooth jazz, and they had a group doing performance art in the corner.

Last but not least, a fine arts gallery where they served complimentary coffee and cherry pie. I was hoping for more art that was "inspired" by Lynch, rather than 90% of it being "here's a painting of Lynch / scenes from his work," but it was still really cool. Most of it was depicting Twin Peaks, which wasn't really a surprise. Oddly enough, the rest was almost entirely split between Dune and Elephant Man.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
Sounds cool. I feel like if I was submitting art to a David Lynch-inspired exhibit I would watch one of his movies and make an experimental painting or something while watching it. A lot of those sound completely uninspired. But overall, it sounds like a really cool exhibhit.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oddly enough, the rest was almost entirely split between Dune and Elephant Man.

You can say whatever you want about DUNE as a movie, but it's art direction was amazing so I'm not surprised that it would be featured in an installation piece like that.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

You've probably heard already but DL will not be directing the new series of Twin Peaks. He is still the writer though. What that means for his movie career, who knows? :shrug: You can follow TP discussion on the TP thread in TVIV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You can follow TP discussion on the TP thread in TVIV.

No offense but I would really rather not.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

If Lynch doesn't end up directing, I do hope they get some strong talent in there. I feel like if the material is strong enough then the show could still turn out good without him directing. But I also hope that enough fan backlash will cause Showtime to reconsider, although I'm not banking on that to happen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

You can follow TP discussion on the TP thread in TVIV.

Or you could discuss Lynch-related properties and projects in the David Lynch thread.

Anyway, as long as he's still writing it I don't much care, Twin Peaks was most notable for its writing anyway.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

precision posted:

Or you could discuss Lynch-related properties and projects in the David Lynch thread.

Anyway, as long as he's still writing it I don't much care, Twin Peaks was most notable for its writing anyway.

Counterpoint: the black lodge

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

If only they talked about this in the OP in the rules section.

quote:

For any detailed chat regarding Twin Peaks TV series (S1 and S2 complete, S3 in development for autumn 2016 (HBOShowtime)), please go to the dedicated thread in TVIV here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3219081 As many of us check/post in that thread already, don’t feel like posters itt will miss out on your TP questions/comments when you post them there. The feature film Fire Walk With Me is definitely within this thread’s scope, so post away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eh, non-mods can't really make rules for their threads, if so I would have made a whole bunch of silly rules for the Walking Dead thread.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Counterpoint: the black lodge

The direction of the very last episode was great, and not just the black lodge scenes. For example, the slow pans and sparse sound effects in the bank vault scene really built up the tension.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
David Lynch is a phenomenal director and his actual, on-set involvement is like 90% of what makes the best of Twin Peaks so good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'd point to the pilot as an even better example of his skills as a director. The scene in the classroom where they find out Laura has died, and nobody says a word. Followed by the hazy, nightmarish pan through the hallways. Nothing on TV looked like that in 1990. It's still haunting and effective.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 8, 2015

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Lynch is great in general at shooting home interiors in unsettling ways. The early scenes of Lost Highway in particular tend to stick in my mind, because of the way things just emerge onto the screen as Fred moves around his house.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lynch's sense of interiors is incredible, he uses them as another emotional palette, usually in a restrictive way but always emotionally and often implying entrapment. Like in Lost Highway, how the entrance to their bedroom is a long, dark hallway, or the violent, seedy colors of Dorothy's apartment in Blue Velvet that are straight out of the 40s.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think it's the fact that the fan is on - action and presence without action or presence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Colonel Whitey posted:

The fact that he can make this insanely unnerving puts him in a class without peer.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Lynch is on whatever short list of the most talented and technically accomplished directors ever, alongside Kubrick, Welles and whoever else you want to nominate. His contribution to the Lumiere and Co. project is a great testament to that, as is the fact that Eraserhead is basically an expensive student film and Mulholland Drive a cobbled-together scrapped TV pilot.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The most amazing thing about Mulholland Drive is that half of it makes no loving sense whatsoever, yet it's still just a great movie.

Did that dissertation-length blog post about Mulholland Drive being about movies within movies get posted in this thread at any point? The author is kind of obnoxious, but he makes some great points arguing it as a story of films within films, as opposed to dreams.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

The most amazing thing about Mulholland Drive is that half of it makes no loving sense whatsoever, yet it's still just a great movie.

Did that dissertation-length blog post about Mulholland Drive being about movies within movies get posted in this thread at any point? The author is kind of obnoxious, but he makes some great points arguing it as a story of films within films, as opposed to dreams.

There are days when Mulholland Drive is my favorite movie. I mean most days it's Jurassic Park, but there are days...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The fact that he can make this insanely unnerving puts him in a class without peer.

It's like, who would even think to do that shot in the first place, much less make it have that effect? An incredible genius who just looks at the mundane and sees the existential horror in it, that's who.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's like, who would even think to do that shot in the first place, much less make it have that effect? An incredible genius who just looks at the mundane and sees the existential horror in it, that's who.

It's helped, of course, by Grace Zibriskie's soul-rending grief.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's a fantastic shot. Frames an extremely mundane thing into looking off. None of the architecture makes sense, the railings look distorted and unaligned. Like real life Escher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

weekly font posted:

It's a fantastic shot. Frames an extremely mundane thing into looking off. None of the architecture makes sense, the railings look distorted and unaligned. Like real life Escher.

Yeah, I noticed that none of the architectural lines of the space align with the horizontal or vertical edges of the frame - everything is crooked. Which is a feat considering how many straight lines are in the shot.

• Locked thread