Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I just watched Blue Velvet on BR and holy moley that film looks beautiful. If you can, check it out on BR. It is something to see.

Unfortunately I thought the BR automatically included the famous Lost Scenes (or whatever they are called) - because, like, how many BRs are there of Blue Velvet? Well, turns out there must be at least 2 because I have the Not Special Edition. So when you read a box cover and it says "outtakes", it literally means "outtakes" not "deleted scenes". So instead of seeing about 30 min of lost footage and reimmersing myself in the world of Lumberton, I get 2 min of Kyle and Laura goofing off and DL laughing off camera. Yeah. My mistake.

gently caress me. How many more times can I buy the same film? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I just watched Blue Velvet on BR and holy moley that film looks beautiful. If you can, check it out on BR. It is something to see.

Unfortunately I thought the BR automatically included the famous Lost Scenes (or whatever they are called) - because, like, how many BRs are there of Blue Velvet? Well, turns out there must be at least 2 because I have the Not Special Edition. So when you read a box cover and it says "outtakes", it literally means "outtakes" not "deleted scenes". So instead of seeing about 30 min of lost footage and reimmersing myself in the world of Lumberton, I get 2 min of Kyle and Laura goofing off and DL laughing off camera. Yeah. My mistake.

gently caress me. How many more times can I buy the same film? :smith:

I really want a Blu-Ray copy of Lost Highway. Did that come out in the NA region yet? All of his movies are just so pretty. It's kind of a shame that Inland empire has that early digital look to it, because he was still very much on top of his composition and color work.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really want a Blu-Ray copy of Lost Highway. Did that come out in the NA region yet? All of his movies are just so pretty. It's kind of a shame that Inland empire has that early digital look to it, because he was still very much on top of his composition and color work.

My blu-ray of LH is region B, Europe. It is a thing beauty and I can recommend it. BV also looks gorgeous - I just wish it had the missing scenes. I agree that IE is the film of his that will benefit least from blu-ray release. Honestly I am not a fan and I would never upgrade from the DVD I bought back in the day. Even if the quality was amazing I find it a dull and confusing movie. I wonder how Dune would hold up, with some of the effects being a bit shaky. TP and FWWM are both great in blu-ray. I bought Eraserhead in the 2000 Absurda restored DVD and I am reluctant to upgrade to blu-ray unless someone tells me there is a serious improvement or extra content.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I got this and it's loving awful for the most part. Lost Highway looks great but the disc is hosed up and freezes up at a certain point - tonnes of people have reported this as an issue. FWWM and Wild at Heart had really poor sound quality, too. Eraserhead is okay, it looks a bit better than the DVD and is still stereo only, but I expected that. Never got round to watching Dune but going by other reviews it apparently is awful.

I think there's been a rerelease that fixed a bunch of issues but not sure. I'd be really wary.

The Mulholland Drive blu ray I bought separately is absolutely fine though.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

/\/\/\/\/\/\Good to have this update.
Apart from the TP/FWWM blu-ray set, I have avoided boxsets. I was so pissed at the TP Gold Set being released so soon after TP S2 was released that I never bought it, nor the Lime Green Set. Wild at Heart is my least favourite DL film - well, maybe on par with IE. So I wasn't going to buy the Lime Green Set for WAH outtakes. The only thing I am sore about is the few extras in the Gold Set that weren't in the blu-ray set. Of the top of my head, that would be the commercials, some interviews and featurettes - really minor stuff.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's kind of a shame that Inland empire has that early digital look to it, because he was still very much on top of his composition and color work.
That was an aesthetic choice too, rather than it just being technological restrictions.

He wanted it to look that way. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm normally behind whatever Lynch wants to do but that digital look in INLAND EMPIRE just makes my eyes bleed. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

I'm normally behind whatever Lynch wants to do but that digital look in INLAND EMPIRE just makes my eyes bleed. :smith:

Imagine seeing this blown up on a theatre screen.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Its not all that aesthetically pleasing but the look of Inland Empire, both cheaply blurred and overly sharp at the same time, is how my dreams always actually look.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

Its not all that aesthetically pleasing but the look of Inland Empire, both cheaply blurred and overly sharp at the same time, is how my dreams always actually look.

I would re-watch IE more often if it wasn't three hours long. I generally like the look of the film. Hope it isn't his last.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even if IE is his last feature, at least Twin Peaks S3 is something like 18 hours long now, with every episode being directed by Lynch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine seeing this blown up on a theatre screen.

I heard it looked even worse in theaters than it does on TV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every episode? :eyepop:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, apparently, he's filming it as one 18 hour movie. He's been seen filming Everett McGill lately. First time McGill's acted since 1999.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

/\/\/\/\/\/\ This is the worst way possible to film a TV series, which requires careful crafting (set-ups, pay-offs, introduction and resolution of storylines etc), pacing and regular cliff-hangers. Ever since DL split from Mary Sweeney, his editor, he has had editorial bloat - which is the main reason IE is a mess. He didn't have anyone on hand to tell him focus and cut down on the multiple strands.

TP S3 may turn out to be the most expensive car crash in TV history. It may end up getting cancelled before it is fully aired. IE was only for diehard DL fans and cost nothing so no one cared it was lovely. TP S3 is for mainstream audiences, will cost a fortune and has to please TV executives. I hope TP S3 turns out well but I have a bad feeling about it....

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
INLAND EMPIRE OWNS.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

INLAND EMPIRE OWNS.

Positive opinions on IE....types in all caps....D-D-David, is that you???

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Inland Empire is seriously awesome.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

/\/\/\/\/\/\ This is the worst way possible to film a TV series, which requires careful crafting (set-ups, pay-offs, introduction and resolution of storylines etc), pacing and regular cliff-hangers. Ever since DL split from Mary Sweeney, his editor, he has had editorial bloat - which is the main reason IE is a mess. He didn't have anyone on hand to tell him focus and cut down on the multiple strands.

TP S3 may turn out to be the most expensive car crash in TV history. It may end up getting cancelled before it is fully aired. IE was only for diehard DL fans and cost nothing so no one cared it was lovely. TP S3 is for mainstream audiences, will cost a fortune and has to please TV executives. I hope TP S3 turns out well but I have a bad feeling about it....
I've had the same worries, however each episode was also co-written by Mark Frost, and Frost is apparently on set for the actual filming. That gives me some hope of things not going completely off the rails.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Inland empire would have worked much better if he'd cut all of his footage into ~45 minute episodes (adding back in the 'more things that happened' featurette as well). It would be like a box set of the world's strangest TV show, which makes more sense given the Axxon N radio drama point.

There are a lot of things I love about Inland empire, but it's just so much to view in one sitting.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
IMO the closer we can get to a pure representation of David Lynch's id the better. An editor is just going to try to make things "make sense."

(I'm only being half facetious here)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Inland Empire is his best film and I am unanimous in my opinion.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Don't forget that he still has Mark Frost as a grounding influence. And its weird to talk about "ever since he split with Sweeney" when only one movie, an improvised one-of-a-kind experiment, falls under that distinction.

Anyway True Detective's first season was entirely directed by the same person, and though many fans were vocally disappointed by the ending I haven't seen anyone criticizing the quality of directing overall.

Inland empire would have worked much better if he'd cut all of his footage into ~45 minute episodes (adding back in the 'more things that happened' featurette as well). It would be like a box set of the world's strangest TV show, which makes more sense given the Axxon N radio drama point.

There are a lot of things I love about Inland empire, but it's just so much to view in one sitting.

I'd love to see more fan edits of movies like that, as opposed to another one of Star Wars or whatever.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Watched IE shortly after the DVD release, and basically felt like that Simpsons moment where Krusty says, "...the hell was THAT?!" Then kind of forgot about it until a few days ago I decided to throw it on and surprise, got totally sucked into it. It's very good for what it is, meaning: a totally self-indulgent exercise in uninhibited creative instinct. The film has a different "feel" due to the cheap cameras but it helps that the lighting, color, compositions etc. are still on point, not to mention the beautiful sound. If you can get over the lack of "film look" and accept that its fluid reality cannot be comprehended in the usual sense, there is tons enjoyment still to be had with it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cromulent posted:

I've had the same worries, however each episode was also co-written by Mark Frost, and Frost is apparently on set for the actual filming. That gives me some hope of things not going completely off the rails.

Yes, that constraint I think will definitely TP S3.

Lord Krangdar posted:

And its weird to talk about "ever since he split with Sweeney" when only one movie, an improvised one-of-a-kind experiment, falls under that distinction.

Fair enough, but part of the reason DL has been financially radioactive as far as studios have been concerned is the way he screwed up IE. MD was a financial and critical success and is still 100% Lynch.

About IE, I am aware of the idea of a complicated work of art. How about over-complicated? How about self-indulgent? Consider some of the masterpieces of Renaissance art - they were painted by artists who had to follow the instructions of patrons. They often could only paint using certain paints, at a set size, depict a particular subject, etc. The idea that true art must be unconstrained is daft. Some of the greatest artistic masterpieces have been made to satisfy commercial considerations, for popular audiences, with serious restrictions. BV, FWWM and MD are brilliant, complicated, artistically challenging films made under financial and technical constraints. IE had fewer constraints and fails on many more levels. Perhaps Lynch works well within limits. He's always (except for Dune) had final cut and control over scripts. All of his films (except Dune, I think) have made back their costs. Studios were willing to back Lynch up to IE within limits. Ever consider that those limits might actually be reasonable and help channel Lynch's abilities?

Even if DL is a great artist - and I think he is - you don't get to hit the target every time, even if you are Picasso or Vermeer or James Joyce.

With IE Lynch didn't properly script, filmed too long, tried to include too much, refused to cut enough, had no clear idea of structure before, during and after shooting and had no editor to assist him. There are one or maybe two really exciting films in IE, scrambled and interspersed with repetitions/self-quotes. It is a mess. I've never felt that way with other Lynch films. Yes it is more "interesting" than 90% of most films but the reason I criticise it so strongly is because a) IE had potential which was wasted, b) Lynch has such high standards, c) it has a fraction of humour, warmth, memorable characters, emotional approachability of other Lynch films. No amount of technical or narrative complexity (which actually I don't think it has) makes up for the fact it is a characterless (i.e. no developed characters), miserable, confusing, messy, self-indulgent film.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Fair enough, but part of the reason DL has been financially radioactive as far as studios have been concerned is the way he screwed up IE. MD was a financial and critical success and is still 100% Lynch.

You make it sound like he has been trying to make more films all this time but has been unable to get financing, like the problem Jodorowsky was facing for so long. But is that true? As far as I know he had that situation with Ronnie Rocket early in his career, but not post Inland Empire. Wikipedia says he financed much of IE himself, and afterwards he just didn't have a big idea for a new feature film:

David Lynch posted:

“I haven’t gotten the big idea,” he told 24 Frames this week. “I’ve got some fragments that are coming, but not the big idea.” The director added, "If I got an idea that I fell in love with, I’d go to work tomorrow. I just haven’t.”

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun/22/entertainment/la-et-mn-david-lynch-has-no-ideas-for-a-new-film-20120622

Inland Empire was concieved as an improvised project from the beginning. Shouldn't it then be judged as such? Not that we should excuse its flaws off-handedly, just that improv is its medium. That (being improvised) was the constraint that produced the final product.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

You make it sound like he has been trying to make more films all this time but has been unable to get financing, like the problem Jodorowsky was facing for so long. But is that true? As far as I know he had that situation with Ronnie Rocket early in his career, but not post Inland Empire. Wikipedia says he financed much of IE himself, and afterwards he just didn't have a big idea for a new feature film

It's hard to judge exactly what was going on, because so much of the discussions are private. Lynch was involved in making music, doing music videos, making art and spending a lot of time on his transcendental meditation foundation. Whether that was entirely his own choice or due to financial issues, I don't know. In part it might have been down to the largely negative reaction to IE. Yes, it's true that with digital film and goodwill of his team of collaborators he could have made a self-financed film.

The point about Lynch being shunned by studios after IE is kind of true - people were alarmed at how messy and poorly received IE was - but also kind of irrelevant, as he could have self-financed. So I guess we are both right.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Inland Empire was concieved as an improvised project from the beginning. Shouldn't it then be judged as such? Not that we should excuse its flaws off-handedly, just that improv is its medium. That (being improvised) was the constraint that produced the final product.

A good point. I think we are just divided on how well he succeeded in his aims. I think that if he had turned IE into 5 short films of 30min then he would have produced maybe 2 brilliant films (Dern storyline and Polish storyline) and 3 meh films. I like some of his short digital films and I'm willing to take his films on their own merits. I just object to sitting through 3 hours (or whatever) of films being mashed together.

I think that DL is brilliant at harnassing improv. and mistakes - BOB in the mirror, Ben with the light microphone, the mortuary assistant's slip in TP, etc. I just think the improv. works better in flashes in structured pieces or in TV series where these things can be developed serially in episodes. Improvising in the editing suite is a terrible idea.

I take your points and you've put them well. :)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love Inland Empire and I have never been able to watch it in one sitting. It usually takes me a few days to actually watch the whole thing. There is something so captivating about it though. I always have to get to the end.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I never do the "post about a movie while you're watching it" thing but I have to with this one: I'm half an hour into Inland Empire and I'm honest-to-God wondering IS THIS A JOKE?

Because if I were trying to make a parody of challenging indie arthouse movies it would probably look a lot like this. I don't think I've laughed harder at any movie scene all year than I have watching this old lady chatting with Laura Dern over coffee.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite non-sequitur in INLAND EMPIRE is when several characters just vanish halfway through a music video of The Loco-Motion for absolutely no reason.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

lizardman posted:

Alright, I never do the "post about a movie while you're watching it" thing but I have to with this one: I'm half an hour into Inland Empire and I'm honest-to-God wondering IS THIS A JOKE?

Because if I were trying to make a parody of challenging indie arthouse movies it would probably look a lot like this. I don't think I've laughed harder at any movie scene all year than I have watching this old lady chatting with Laura Dern over coffee.

BRUTAL.

loving.

MURDER.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like the parts with the rabbits

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Fire Walk With Me the other day and I mostly liked it - it felt like it completed the series a bit more. The extremely mixed reviews made me a bit nervous, but the weirdness level was about what I expected. I guess people wanted more of the goofy stuff from Twin Peaks instead of the horror show ending of the film. BOB was in peak creepiness form (too bad he died :(). The lightning in David Lynch's A Goofy Movie also makes more sense now :cheeky:

About the mythology: are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

david_a posted:

are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

I always figured they were more like Cenobites. They are from a reality that is inconceivable to our brains and jump into our world in order to feed on human suffering and misery (though they have to find hosts, whereas the Cenobites just rock up when someone uses the puzzle box).

One thing that I never got is that the giant is in the black lodge, but isn't he a good guy? He does nothing but help and warn Coop, but then he turns up in the lodge with the Man From Another Place (and they appear to be friendly). All the other lodge inhabitants appear to be overtly evil or at least engineer things so that Bob gets his garmonbozia (like the old lady and the magician, and MFAP is a manifestation of Mike's killing arm).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Inland Empire is his best film and I am unanimous in my opinion.

I am increasingly of this opinion. It is at least neck and neck with Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Quote-Unquote posted:

One thing that I never got is that the giant is in the black lodge, but isn't he a good guy? He does nothing but help and warn Coop, but then he turns up in the lodge with the Man From Another Place (and they appear to be friendly). All the other lodge inhabitants appear to be overtly evil or at least engineer things so that Bob gets his garmonbozia (like the old lady and the magician, and MFAP is a manifestation of Mike's killing arm).
Isn't he in the White Lodge? They're connected from what I remember. I've also forgotten what the deal was with the Owls - are those the same entities in a different form?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My interpretation was that the Owls were vessels or agents of BOB.

Unless that is what the Owls are supposed to SEEM like, and if the Owls are not what they seem then I have no idea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I always thought there was the White Lodge, which is the hardest to reach but houses pure/good beings, the Black Lodge houses the evil beings, and owls that act as messengers/watchers for each.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

david_a posted:

I watched Fire Walk With Me the other day and I mostly liked it - it felt like it completed the series a bit more. The extremely mixed reviews made me a bit nervous, but the weirdness level was about what I expected. I guess people wanted more of the goofy stuff from Twin Peaks instead of the horror show ending of the film. BOB was in peak creepiness form (too bad he died :(). The lightning in David Lynch's A Goofy Movie also makes more sense now :cheeky:

About the mythology: are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

People went to FWWM expecting some Twin Peaks shenanigans, but instead they got an incredibly sad story about sexual abuse and the destruction of a teenage girl. It's always the thing that strikes me the most about that movie, the sadness of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it's really raw and sad and throws you when you first see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked that it retroactively explains some of Sarah Palmer's weirdness too. She clearly suspects something is wrong about Leland/Laura's relationship even if it's just at a subconscious level (how could you not with that dinner scene). I'm sure this happens in real life abuse situations too with people who seem like they should have known something is terribly wrong, but they refuse to consciously accept the reality because it's literally unthinkable for them. Part of her losing it in the series is probably due to a feeling of guilt that she didn't do anything to stop it.

I don't remember this part real well, but Leland drugs her before he sneaks off to Laura's room, right?

• Locked thread