Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Colonel Whitey posted:

(haven't seen Dune but from what I've heard about it I probably don't need to).

You don't need to see the whole movie, but it's definitely worth looking at and listening to. He pulled an incredible, fitting score for the film out of Toto of all groups, and the costumes/art direction/etc. If you're a Star Trek fan, re-watching the first season can be interesting because of some subtle influence Lynch's Dune had on it (these actually were both released very close to each other). I, how to say, it's almost worth just having on as filler while you do something else because it looks and sounds amazing and has an incredible cast. Just the script is a mess of things taken verbatim from the book with new elements added in and very little context as to why anyone is saying or doing anything despite tons of ponderous internal monologues.

Also, someone did an experiment where they took a couple of scenes from Dune and removed all of the dialogue. It's an interesting showpiece for what an incredible storyteller Lynch is, and it reveals some subtle similarities to Eraserhead in the opening scene of Dune with regards to how industrial noise and the camera placement quickly establishes how in control or not someone feels. It's not necessarily a good movie in this form but it puts what strengths Lynch has that made it into the final movie to the forefront:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJD19I5DK0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love FWWM, specifically because its analogous cast's attitudes are like the exact opposite of what we see in Twin Peaks.

Lost Highway really is awesome, I still need to see Inland Empire somehow. I'm surprised that Lost Highway still hasn't gotten a US blu-ray release. I'm sure whenever the new Twin Peaks starts coming out we'll see plenty of double dips of his work though.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

That's interesting. It kind of shows up how unnecessary not only some of dialogue is but the voice over. Has anyone seen the Dune script? Is the VO in there at the beginning? I suspect it was added later. Most of the time I think it is unnecessary (as in Bladerunner).

The design of the sets and some of the technology reminds me of 1940s sci-fi action serials. Not exactly silent era but certainly black and white and retro.

Yeah and his idea for how Dune looks ended up basically becoming canonical. Frank Herbert didn't live too long past Dune's release, but in what he wrote after the movie he definitely begins to describe the technology and places as they appear in the film. When Star Trek: The Next Generation first came out there was some negative reactions to the design of the Enterprise's interior and how it was like the inside of a giant car or whatever due to the beige finish/"leather" paneling everywhere/carpeting/etc. everywhere. Lynch mentioned he had a pretty similar principle with Dune, that if you're in this utopian part of the world where folks are psychic and live to be 150 years old and are super wealthy then they're not going to make their place look like what we typically see in dystopian sci-fi settings. Dune (and Metropolis as an example) both feel much more "realistic" in this sense since it allows for nice visual variety between different social classes and ways of life.

The voice overs really are crazy in Dune though and make every scene way longer than it needs to be. Lynch really does tell you almost all you need to know visually in like ten seconds, but the internal monologues repeat so much. In the book this works since its delivering exposition and letting us know where the characters are at but in the movie it's so redundant because you immediately know "oh this person is angry and he's doing this." It's way worse than even Blade Runner's voice over. I'm not even particularly against the concept of there being voice overs (especially for something with Dune's scope) just the way they would keep telling you stuff you already knew was almost farcical. They were added so that some events and things would not need to be shown to keep the running time down to two hours but oh man, the exact opposite feeling is accomplished.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So what do we know about Phil Jeffries (David Bowie's character from FWWM) and the mysterious Judy? And what was the deal with all the creatures meeting above the convenience store? Demons? Denizens of the Black Lodge? And did Jeffries infiltrate them, or what? Keep in mind I haven't seen the Missing Pieces, but that was the most fascinating part of the movie for me.

I'd also love to revisit Chester Desmond in Season 3, to get some closure on his story and hopefully get him a happier ending, along with Coop. The "bizarro Twin Peaks" part in the beginning with Desmond, Kiefer Sutherland, and Gordon Cole with his "blue rose" case was my second favorite part.

I hope it premieres with Cooper sitting down in his hotel room to watch an episode of Invitation to Love and the camera zooms in on the tv the remaining episodes of the series are just Invitation to Love episodes instead of Twin Peaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulSVBkaboK0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The coolest thing about BOB is that the entire character and concept was conceived by accident when the person's reflection inadvertently got got in a mirror in the set for a second.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I love it. :) But he seems to begin the story with "In the beginning, there was no Bob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Yb6ghCmzA

Going by this "Bob" was picked to appear by the bed and be seen by Laura's mom before the mirror accident. :aaaaa:

Bob himself was set dresser Frank Silva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dune is unbelievable and I can't believe people are suggesting to skip it when talking about every Lynch movie. It's not great, but it's unbelievable how boring it as at points and how amazing it looks and how perfect the cast is.

I think I posted it earlier in the thread, but someone edited some clips of it to remove all of the dialogue, and it's impressive how much of it still comes across thanks to Lynch's direction and the performances and sound and how much it feels like Lynch. The constant thought balloons throughout the movie were a huge mistake.

Also clearly subtly referenced in the five minute sweeping scene in season three of Twin Peaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJD19I5DK0

Like why would you tell someone not to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_NRfPI6ABU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHf8aoR8_Bs

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread