Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The ant sequence in Dumbland is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
For some reason the first thing that comes to mind is either Punch-Drunk Love or A Woman Under The Influence, but only because they're both intensely emotional Los Angeles-based films that make me anxious, not because they really have anything to do with David Lynch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Cronenberg tends to ground the horrific in the mundane, whereas Lynch can make anything mundane seem nightmarish.

It's like how sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night not only aware of your mortality but of how useless it is to keep living, and suddenly your bedside lamp is the most depressing in the universe because you imagine turning it on and off, over and over again, for years and years until either it dies or you do. I think David Lynch, at his darkest, lives in the conflict of that moment. Rabbits is probably the purest distillation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It suddenly occurs to me that Guy Maddin is probably the closest you can get.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My favorite deleted scene is when they're in Sandy's basement watching a game show about prom queens dragging armchairs on a racetrack.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
David Lynch is all about the interaction of our inner self with the rest of the world. How do we project ourselves to others, and how do we allow others to influence us? What about others do we project to others? That's half the mystery of Twin Peaks, Dale Cooper navigating a web of projections and lies about Laura Palmer, and finding out not only what others know but what reason they have to say or hide what they've said or hidden. BOB is the evil, not merely an evil. He is the corruption. In Blue Velvet it's the same - Jeffrey peeps through the shutters and sees and sees Frank Booth merging his corrupted, twisted side with his pure, innocent side, because that's something that we all wrestle with. What of you do you keep as you move down the road and turn into someone else? How do you merge now with later? How do you live with yourself? Lynch so often presents this split as being literal cohabitation - as someone pointed out earlier, there's no discernible difference between the Black and the White Lodge. The pattern on the floor is the same, but what happens on it isn't.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh my god, I want to watch Inland Empire in a dark empty theater.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 28, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
David Lynch is a phenomenal director and his actual, on-set involvement is like 90% of what makes the best of Twin Peaks so good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Lynch's sense of interiors is incredible, he uses them as another emotional palette, usually in a restrictive way but always emotionally and often implying entrapment. Like in Lost Highway, how the entrance to their bedroom is a long, dark hallway, or the violent, seedy colors of Dorothy's apartment in Blue Velvet that are straight out of the 40s.

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

I think it's the fact that the fan is on - action and presence without action or presence.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Lynch also uses a motif of serious head trauma in most of his works, especially with characters with profound mental issues. This starts as early as Eraserhead, with Jack Nance hallucinating his own severed broken head on the street (also a possible combination with the doppelganger theme). Other examples are when it appears in Twin Peaks as Leland's method of suicide in jail, and in a pretty extreme fashion in Wild at Heart in the form of Willem Dafoe's head turning into a flying bowl of chunky soup in a bag after an unfortunate shotgun mishap .

Isn't there also a bit in Lost Highway where a character trips and lands head-first on the edge of a modernist glass coffee table?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Inland Empire is his best film and I am unanimous in my opinion.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I know Lynch was really frustrated by the network forcing him to reveal Palmer's killer halfway through the second season. It really sucks he walked away from it for so long, because holy cow that is some bad television. I'd be bitter if I was a cast member, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

InfiniteZero posted:

EDIT -- holy poo poo, now I want a version of "Louie" that stars David Lynch instead (yeah I know he was on Louie, but I want a version of Louie where it's stories about David Lynch doing poo poo around LA instead and instead of stand-up segues, we see Lynch sitting around having a smoke with Harry Dean Stanton talking about poo poo).

The segues would be him smoking on his porch at two in the morning, talking into the camera about all the things you can do with quinoa.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm so mad that the Blue Velvet restoration doesn't seem to be playing anywhere in the Pacific Northwest at all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Stop watching every time you see a red lamp. No matter what. Go a day between lamps.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I always forget what an emotional gut-punch the ending of Fire Walk With Me is. The whole movie does such a great job of outlining Laura's character and struggle, so you really feel for her, and I love the ambiguity of the Lodge at the end. It perfectly straddles the line between discomforting and comforting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd say the show is almost essential viewing before FWWM, because it's entirely about showing us what Laura was going through - we see the truth that the tenants of Twin Peaks distort through lies, and it's much more rewarding to pass through the hall of mirrors that is the show before stumbling across the stark reality of the film. It'd be like watching the last quarter of Mulholland Drive first, and then going back and watching the first two hours. You could do it, but it would cut down on the fun. Lynch does a great job of playing on what you know in FWWM, so I imagine its impact would be lessened without that foreknowledge (feel free to be a guinea pig, though, it might be interesting).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What the heck Inland Empire is incredible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't think of many movies that utilize smeary SD video like he does in !!!INLAND EMPIRE!!!!, except maybe Dancer in the Dark.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
INLAND EMPIRE happens exactly as it happens.

I got to see Mulholland Drive on 35mm last week and it was amazing. 35mm is always cool but having the big-screen packed-audience experience with Mulholland Drive is super overwhelming, it felt like getting high on fumes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
His biggest hero as a painter is Frances Bacon, you can extrapolate most things about Lynch from that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Kiss Me Deadly owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I saw it on 35mm a couple months ago and really liked a lot of it, but the biggest issue for me is that the main story is just too straightforward for too long.

• Locked thread