Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

Spoilers in case someone in this thread hasn't watched TP: you get to see more moments when Leland isn't being completely controlled by BOB, and is actually just a goofy dad that loves his family. I can see why it was cut, as it dramatically changes the tone to the more fun, soapy TV show, but it meant you got to see Leland as himself a bit more than that brief scene in the theatrical cut when he goes to see Laura in her room and tells her that he loves her, and seems to have some awareness of what BOB is doing which makes them both cry.

Bob as a metaphor for past/childhood trauma really works well, its amazing how controlled Lynch was in the way he wrote that stuff. Bob and the spirits from the Lodge are explained in a decent amount of detail, but never overly defined in any literal way.

So you have Leland's description of Bob as an entity that got inside of him during his childhood, and when Bob commits heinous acts like rape and murder, he "takes over" and when he's done Leland can't really remember what happened. That may be literally what's happening, OR its possible Leland was abused as a child, and that trauma festered inside of him and created a side of his personality he refused to ever acknowledge. Its possible both things are equally true.

Lynch is a genius, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yeah, a man who used to menace him with lit matches and fire. The abuse never left him. It fits with the whole Fire Walk With Me poem, which I feel is about cycles of abuse.

That's definitely all true, but at the same time, its implied in Fire Walk With Me that Laura actually sees Bob sometimes and is surprised when she realizes Its actually Leland. So I do think the lodge sprits and Bob exist in some literal way. That's Lynch, things aren't just one or the other.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nobody I know actually thinks he's innocent. His not guilty charge has more to do with the piss poor prosecution than anything, and his fame made a difference as well.

Its also likely the cops planted blood evidence. It wasn't definitively proven but I'm sure the jury took that into consideration.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its hard to blame Lynch for checking out because the network forced him into something that changed the core of show and it was like the polar opposite of what he wanted to do.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Now the James Hurley and the lonely housewife story, that was a huge waste of time.

That's really the only storyline I legitimately hate and wish I could skip. It's just pointless, features the show's worst character, and isn't at least funny in some way like a lot of the other similarly pointless storylines.

On the other hand, I love the Nadine amnesia storyline and the Civil War General Ben Horne storyline, so I'm never really tempted to skip entire episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Having only recently gone through Twin Peaks for the first time, the only plot line I legit couldn't stand was the Andy/Lucy/Dick baby drama. Dick Tremayne is easily the worst character, James has nothing on him.

Somehow I'd come around on Dick Tremayne by the end of that storyline, I think his ridiculousness eventually won me over. I can totally understand the character grating on some people's nerves though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

Ok watching the movie and I already could see that was Donna trying to emulate Laura through the series but the movie making that very explicit was something I didn't think about.

Seeing what Laura went through first hand in the movie(although even that is just a small fraction of it), you really see those first few episodes of the series differently. I'm talking specifically about Donna, James, and Bobby, and how they're dealing with the fact that something shocking but yet almost tragically expected has happened to Laura. They knew Laura well enough to know this was something that could happen but they didn't know her well enough to know why. Their confusion began long before Laura's death and I think they both come to realize over the course of the series that Laura shielded them and in a way, saved them. If she'd invited them into that part of their life, as they wanted, I doubt either would have survived. Certainly not Bobby, had Laura roped him in any more than she already had he'd probably be dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

I have a feeling that's never going to be addressed again. It seems like a big misstep because they wanted to give something Bobby to do in the movie. Plus it kind of spoils his arc in the show, particularly S3.

Nothing really about his characterisation in the show after really jives with what happened, unlike Donna for example where her story in the movie is an extension of that in the show.

Have you actually seen the movie recently? You may be remembering that scene wrong, he does kill the guy, and it's definitely murder, but at the same time it's still very much Bobby being Bobby. He brings a gun thinking he's a major badass, but then ends up pulling it in a panic in self defense because the crooked cop was drawing his too. He's got a wild-eyed panic on his face the entire time.

So he did a terrible thing, absolutely, but the way it went down is totally in line with Bobby's character. A kid who's basically a good hearted person, who thinks he has to be a tough guy because that's what Laura likes and it's the opposite of what he perceives his father to be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

He's also about halfway through a bottle of whisky, stoned on at least one or two drugs, and the killing, while not good or justifiable, is still self-defense.

The reason I say it's still murder(as in, he could be convicted of it if caught) is that he pauses for a second and then executes the guy by shooting him in the back of the head. The first two shots were absolutely self-defense though. But even with all that it doesn't mean he's an irredeemable person or that it's completely unbelievable that he'd become a cop later in life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

If anything, I'd say it's why he became a cop. As soon as that was revealed, it just made complete sense to me.

He spends basically the entire series coming to terms with what happened to Laura and also why he's been such a gently caress-up for most of his life. And by the end we do see that he's very close to the light at the end of that tunnel, so yea if he were just the same shitbag 25 years later that would be more contradictory than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you have no Twin Peaks experience, you'll be completely lost in S3 on a plot level, BUT if you generally enjoy Lynch then you should be able to enjoy it even without understanding what the hell is going on.

The ultimate Twin Peaks S3 experience is to have seen the whole series AND most of his films as well because then it's like two of the best flavors mixed together. You get all the cryptic metaphorical poo poo that you'd find in Mulholland Drive or Inland Empire, but if you are a Twin Peaks nerd that knowledge allows you to scratch a bit further beneath the surface than what you're used to with Lynch(at least it feels that way). You can piece together explanations for things that normally would just hang out there as random weirdness if you have a good memory for the original series. And that's fun to do, especially after 25 years of no Twin Peaks.

• Locked thread