Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I just saw this thread. David Lynch has been one of the biggest inspirations in my life. Discovering Eraserhead at the age of 14 changed my life. It's my favorite film of all time. I've seen it over 60 times, and every time I find something new in it. I carried around a copy of Lynch on Lynch with me at all times and read it religiously when I was 15. I've read nearly everything that's ever been printed about him in the English language. I've watched Twin Peaks beginning to end 14 times. I've seen three exhibitions of his paintings (the new stuff is amazing, but my favorite stuff is from the early nineties. ) I think he represents the world more accurately than any other filmmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

TrixRabbi posted:

I forget what the town was called

Deer Meadow.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

InfiniteZero posted:

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE QUARTER VIEW OF AN ADULT SHARING HIS OBSESSION WITH STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET.

As for Lynch representing the world, this is frightening to me because for me personally, Lynch somehow knows how to capture my nightmares on screen. I watch a lot of horror films, but Lynch is the only director who has made me pause a film so I can regroup and have a glass of cold water to calm down.

Also re-watching Twin Peaks again recently did some serious messing with my dreams for at least a week.

I have no idea why I typed "represent." I meant that his films are the most accurate depiction of reality that I've ever seen.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Well, as you know DL doesn't re-edit or incorporate new material into existing films. it is 52 min which you watch as a sequence. It isn't in chronological order. You start with a bar scene with jeremy, Frank, Dorothy and the goons in a bar menacing a character. that is is probably the longest and most aggressive and sexual scene. Then it goes to Jeremy at university and Jeremy at home. J spends time with his family, we spend time with his aunt. The bent cop visits Dorothy. There is a short scene of Frank walking in the wind. Then we have the rooftop scene with J and D. That last scene is really the most compelling dramatically. It's weird to see this extra stuff and definitely worth seeing for fans. I think DL edited it so the pieces did work dramatically as a single connected piece.

I think there is a scene menu but I didn't explore that.

For anyone new, I would of course say watch the film first then the extras. So that would be the same for FWWM. I haven't seen FWWM with the missing scenes edited in by fans but I imagine it makes the film really slow and disjointed. Laura is the centre of FWWM and anything extra is really distracting. I think BV would be good as a fan edit with maybe the rooftop and (possibly) the bar scene edited in. With Inland Empire, frankly you mash that up with the Extra Things That Happened and watch that any way. I don't like IE, so I'll never watch the extra footage again.

It's Jeffrey, not Jeremy.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
The lipstick all over the face is also, obviously, another Wizard of Oz reference to Margaret Hamilton's green make up.
I'm pleased to hear such positive opinions of Lost Highway and Fire Walk with Me.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Radio Spiricom posted:

what's more interesting, though, is how all of those qualities feed into how mulholland dr was received vs how lost highway was received when preceded by fire walk with me.

yeah, i've been saying this for so many years. people needed to see that lynch could successfully make a "normal movie" before they would herald something like mulholland drive. heck, even ebert came around!

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Wizard Master posted:

I'm seeing Mulholland Drive at the theatre in my city on Friday night and Inland Empire on Sunday. Has anyone seen Inland Empire at the cinema? I'm wondering what a 3 hour SD digital movie is going to look like on the big screen. Still, this is the first time I'm seeing Lynch on film. I'm looking forward to hearing his sound design for MD.

I saw Inland Empire six times in the theater during its original release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Radio Spiricom posted:

when i worked at the ifc center a few years ago the management let me know that david was adamant about INLAND EMPIRE being capitalized in all programming material (and also mulholland dr being stylized as such a la sunset blvd)

the more i sit with it the more i think its easily his best movie, and a turning point in digital filmmaking. its probably the only american movie shot digitally which advances the project of european modernism into the 21st century.

i was there opening night, and then five more times

• Locked thread