Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

Lynch is great in general at shooting home interiors in unsettling ways. The early scenes of Lost Highway in particular tend to stick in my mind, because of the way things just emerge onto the screen as Fred moves around his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

atrus50 posted:

I was watching the pilot to Serial Experiments Lain with a homie and commented on the lynchian influences. He had actually never seen a Lynch, so that gave me an excuse to watch blue velvet again. 2 things I noticed: the lumberton police station has a sign with the lumberton police seal, which has a log on it. 2- there's a huge porcelain doll, as in larger than person-sized on the couch in "this is it." Lynch props are v underrated

Man, I haven't watched Lain since middle school/high school, but yea, I can definitely see that thinking back now, like all the shots of power lines.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I thought it was this thread I saw it posted in but I guess I was wrong, but I will ask here anyway: Sometime on this forum someone posted a video of scenes from David Lynch's Dune with the monologues cut out, demonstrating his prowess in visual storytelling. I brought this video up to a friend today when we were talking about Dune and was wondering if anyone has the video on hand or anything. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qJD19I5DK0

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The cool thing about having watched other Lynch films too is you'll appreciate the reuse of certain aesthetic elements from his older works. Stuff like the nighttime driving scenes are right out of Lost Highway, then the black and white sequences from episode 8 harkening back to Eraserhead, etc. Though I imagine experiencing those for the first time can be amazing in its own right too.

• Locked thread