Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Fire Walk With Me the other day and I mostly liked it - it felt like it completed the series a bit more. The extremely mixed reviews made me a bit nervous, but the weirdness level was about what I expected. I guess people wanted more of the goofy stuff from Twin Peaks instead of the horror show ending of the film. BOB was in peak creepiness form (too bad he died :(). The lightning in David Lynch's A Goofy Movie also makes more sense now :cheeky:

About the mythology: are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Quote-Unquote posted:

One thing that I never got is that the giant is in the black lodge, but isn't he a good guy? He does nothing but help and warn Coop, but then he turns up in the lodge with the Man From Another Place (and they appear to be friendly). All the other lodge inhabitants appear to be overtly evil or at least engineer things so that Bob gets his garmonbozia (like the old lady and the magician, and MFAP is a manifestation of Mike's killing arm).
Isn't he in the White Lodge? They're connected from what I remember. I've also forgotten what the deal was with the Owls - are those the same entities in a different form?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked that it retroactively explains some of Sarah Palmer's weirdness too. She clearly suspects something is wrong about Leland/Laura's relationship even if it's just at a subconscious level (how could you not with that dinner scene). I'm sure this happens in real life abuse situations too with people who seem like they should have known something is terribly wrong, but they refuse to consciously accept the reality because it's literally unthinkable for them. Part of her losing it in the series is probably due to a feeling of guilt that she didn't do anything to stop it.

I don't remember this part real well, but Leland drugs her before he sneaks off to Laura's room, right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Re-watched Mulholland Drive last night. The biggest problem with this movie is that Robert Forster's detective only gets one scene. I kinda wondered why they even left him in the movie; I'm sure he would have been another wonderfully memorable investigative character in the series, but I'm not sure I see the point of the scene as-is in the movie. It's odd and a bit dreamlike so I guess it fits with this part of the movie but other than that I don't understand what it gives you.

At the end of the movie when Diane is at the fancy party at Adam's house, Not-Camilla and Camilla kiss openly while sitting right beside Adam before Adam and Camilla announce their marriage. I'm not sure this actually happened or if it's just Diane imagining things in a haze of jealousy. Anybody else wonder about that?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

Miguel Ferrer died from cancer today.
WHAT

:( RIP Albert

Edit: that was not a Gordon Cole reference; I was legitimately shocked

david_a fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 19, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think Dune is worth watching to see which parts of his style remain intact in a big studio production. You can also see what a theoretical David Lynch Return of the Jedi would have been like (i.e. not very good). They would never have let him make Eraserhead in Space or whatever it is people fantasize about.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Navigator puppet looks pretty cool

And thank God Kyle Machlachlan's career survived that(because Lynch put him in Blue Velvet)
The production design is pretty cool overall; all the spaceships and stuff are very baroque looking. There's plenty of weird Lynchisms too, like the clothes the Guild people wear are made out of morgue body bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I haven't been paying attention to Twin Peaks S3 at all since I didn't have Showtime and I didn't want to spoil anything but I assume it's over now.

What is the thread's take on it? I heard complaints that it got too Lynchian for some people, but one of those people hadn't seen anything by Lynch before so he probably had no idea what to expect.

• Locked thread