Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Does anyone else have this issue with Lost Highway: Lynch's cameo castings of Henry Rollins and Richard Pryor really stuck out to me in a way that broke the spell. It's a very hypnotic film but as soon as Henry Rollins showed up I couldn't take it seriously anymore. It lost the otherworldly quality because bam - Henry Rollins outta nowhere.

General word of advice for anybody ever interviewing an artist of any medium. Never ask them if a symbol means something specific because you're going to look like an idiot when your specific interpretation isn't validated.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtIr_ThveF0

"I have cooked three meals."

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Who was it that said the series is from Cooper's perspective of the town as a quaint, cheery place with a hidden darkness. Whereas the film is Laura's view of a dark, horrific place masquerading as a quiet mountain town? That's spot on. And having Cooper be a bigger part in the film than he is probably would have clashed either by brightening up the movie, or making Cooper too serious.

But I wouldn't recommend watching the movie without seeing the show. There's certain threads in the film that need the show for explanation, and while the mystery is appealing, the ending isn't nearly as satisfying without the entire series leading up to it.

It should be noted that the film was the first of a planned trilogy. I can't remember if Lynch ever expanded on what the other two films would have been about, I think David Bowie's character would have been explored more. But FWWM tanked at the box office and so the next two films never materialized. Plus MacLachlan was worried about typecasting and didn't want to only be known as Dale Cooper.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah the first half of FWWM is hilarious and it only really works if you get that they are going with bizzaro Twin Peaks. The deleted scenes also show some stuff that they were going to build on like Kiefer.

I forget what the town was called but I love the crummy diner with the grouchy waitress and poo poo food. It's a good gag but also establishes that this movie isn't going to be welcoming or friendly. Also, without watching the show and seeing the theme song so many times, you lose the rush of Cutting to the shot of the Welcome to Twin Peaks sign while the theme song plays.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

What the hell? How did I never know this existed!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icCVy2byevg

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

If Lynch doesn't end up directing, I do hope they get some strong talent in there. I feel like if the material is strong enough then the show could still turn out good without him directing. But I also hope that enough fan backlash will cause Showtime to reconsider, although I'm not banking on that to happen.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'd point to the pilot as an even better example of his skills as a director. The scene in the classroom where they find out Laura has died, and nobody says a word. Followed by the hazy, nightmarish pan through the hallways. Nothing on TV looked like that in 1990. It's still haunting and effective.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The most amazing thing about Mulholland Drive is that half of it makes no loving sense whatsoever, yet it's still just a great movie.

Did that dissertation-length blog post about Mulholland Drive being about movies within movies get posted in this thread at any point? The author is kind of obnoxious, but he makes some great points arguing it as a story of films within films, as opposed to dreams.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Inland Empire is his best film and I am unanimous in my opinion.

I am increasingly of this opinion. It is at least neck and neck with Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It definitely gives more of an impact to her instant horror when she realizes Laura is missing in the pilot.

• Locked thread