Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

InfiniteZero posted:

It's worth noting that Fire Walk With Me also has a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bij6d-KU4aA

I know lots of people HATE that film but I think it's great. Lynch likes it too.

I think people mostly hate Fire Walk With Me for being dark and very un-Twin Peaks-y. But I think the quirky humor of the show would have done a disservice to the core story of Laura Palmer's life before her murder. People who haven't seen the show tend to like it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just watched Lost Highway because of this thread.

I liked it, but my appreciation is a lot more intellectual than most David Lynch films. Robert Blake and Robert Loggia were both great, and the tailgating scene was pretty hilarious. It didn't hit me on the same visceral level as Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet.

Is the idea that Fred came up with the Pete Dayton thing as a desperate excuse for his murder?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

kuddles posted:

I don't think you need to interpret it any other way. I never viewed the story as anything more than It was all a dream!, which in most other director's hands would be extremely lame. That's not to say the film isn't chock full of intentional symbolism and metaphor, though, and doesn't deserve to be analyzed because it's clearly saying much more than that.

It's why I find the criticisms about David Lynch's work being a bunch of made-up nonsense as incredibly stupid. All his work has actually been pretty simplistic to follow if you bother to pay attention, it's how he tells it that makes it stand out.

Probably because unlike Wizard of Oz it feels like a dream and has dream-logic accurately portrayed on film

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

InfiniteZero posted:

The cast went from being on one of the most wildly original and intelligent TV shows to a horrible parody of that same show and back again in the same season. That must have been quite the ride. I feel bad for them, but it was Lynch's vision that made the show so it was his to walk away from. I don't necessarily subscribe to Hitchcock's view of actors as cattle or mere devices that directors use, but I think when you're relying so heavily on a strong creative force like David Lynch, it becomes at least partially true, and the network forced his hand in demonstrating that.

If I could think of a modern day example that's just as absurd as taking Lynch away from Twin Peaks, think of what "Louie" would be like if the network continued the show after Louis CK walked. Same characters and themes, but being made by people pretending to be Louis CK instead. Twin Peaks might as well have been called "Lynch" (or in this example "Lynchie" I guess).

EDIT -- holy poo poo, now I want a version of "Louie" that stars David Lynch instead (yeah I know he was on Louie, but I want a version of Louie where it's stories about David Lynch doing poo poo around LA instead and instead of stand-up segues, we see Lynch sitting around having a smoke with Harry Dean Stanton talking about poo poo).

I think what you really want is a Gordon Cole spinoff show

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cacator posted:

I was going to say that the stupid paternity plot line was a huge waste of time but even that tangentially has a most wonderful payoff in season 3 :allears:

Now the James Hurley and the lonely housewife story, that was a huge waste of time.

Watch as that turns out to be absolutely critical to the final episode

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kinda find the bad episodes of Twin Peaks worth watching just for how dumb things get

A character goes crazy and thinks he's a civil war general and there's an entire subplot about saving an endangered pine weasel

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Navigator puppet looks pretty cool

And thank God Kyle Machlachlan's career survived that(because Lynch put him in Blue Velvet)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know what this post was a really dumb and bad idea

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Franchescanado posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat, some of us don't want to see pics of real corpses. Maybe throw a loving warning up before you shitpost

Yeah you're right, probably best to edit it out of the quoted link too

• Locked thread