Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

And by the same token, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive are about people who try to build alternate projections of themselves, new idealized alternate identities, but fail since they ignore the more negative aspects of their characters. Fred Madison does this over and over in Lost Highway, first building an alternate world where Renee wasn't murdered, then by abandoning himself all together and crafting the Pete Dayton persona. Both these attempts fail, since each time he denies his passions and jealousy they just come back, first in the form of the videotapes, then in the form of Alice Wakefield, and the fantasy collapses. Something similar happens in Mulholland Drive, with Diane Selwyn creating her Betty Elms persona and her idealized Rita, only for the two of them to continually dance around the lives of the actual Diane and Camilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, let's not forget Chester Desmond. He has the same intuitive gifts as Dale Cooper, but while Dale loved the world and everything in it, Chester treats everyone he meets with polite contempt and uses his abilities to show his superiority to everyone around him.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So, I was watching Inland Empire today, and I discovered Terry Crews was in it. He was one of the three homeless people in Nikki/Sue's death scene.

Did not see that one coming.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Periodiko posted:

The weird thing about MD is that, as I understand it, most of the dream parts were filmed for the original television pilot, while most of the last act was constructed from newly shot footage. That it winds up making a neat little self-contained film is incredible to me, and really makes me wonder what the heck a Mulholland Drive series would have been like.

I'd say Inland Empire is a faint echo of what a Mulholland Drive series would have been, or at the very least the first hour or so of IE before Nikki falls into Wonderland.

The more I think about it, the more I understand why ABC passed on the pilot. Twin Peaks at least had the investigation of Laura Palmer's death to act as a catalyst for the action, but with MD the mystery of "Rita" doesn't have that power. It's a whole bunch of seemingly unconnected threads that weave together (maybe) at the very end.

Also, I rewatched MD a few months ago and I realized that Diane's apartment looks like an early iteration of the Rabbit's apartment. Same decor and paint, but different layout.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I definitely don't see anything that happens in Diane's flashbacks as the objective truth of "what happened." This is, after all, a woman who spent the first two hours of the movie fantasizing a complete alternate reality for herself. Some of it is probably true, but filtered through a heavily subjective lens. It's like in Lost Highway (which is pretty much Mulholland Drive back-to-front) where Fred Madison says he "likes to remember things his own way," and we see him spin of versions of reality where Renée is still alive, where he's a different person and Renée is two people (Shelia/Alice), and it gets to the point where you're not even sure Renée ever actually cheated on Fred, because he's a jealous obsessive who lies to himself all the time, so why wouldn't just make that up?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The Trap posted:

Am I the only one who's favorite Lynch film is Lost Highway? I just love how heavy metal and youthful it is. Lynch's films usually take place in some weird mash up between present day and 1950s aesthetic. Lost Highway was very immediate and in the present. I just love how 90s it is, and it reminds of me of growing up in the desert out in Nevada.
It's the one I've rewatched the most out of all his films. I'm honestly not sure why; there's the wonderfully unsettling scenes establishing Fred and Renée in the beginning in that house that consists of 80% black voids, the majority of the movie is about someone constructing his own fantasy world, only to tear it apart because he can't control his obsessions, and there's the fact that despite everything you see, it's all in Fred's head so you can never know what actually happened.

I even like that my copy is a lovely old pan'n'scan DVD. It looks just like videotape!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding was that the pilot covered the entire movie from the beginning to Betty and Rita in bed, and that everything afterward was what Lynch would've eventually revealed. I saw one critic describe Mulholland Drive as akin a version of Twin Peaks that consists of just the first episode and Fire Walk With Me.

• Locked thread