Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Watched IE shortly after the DVD release, and basically felt like that Simpsons moment where Krusty says, "...the hell was THAT?!" Then kind of forgot about it until a few days ago I decided to throw it on and surprise, got totally sucked into it. It's very good for what it is, meaning: a totally self-indulgent exercise in uninhibited creative instinct. The film has a different "feel" due to the cheap cameras but it helps that the lighting, color, compositions etc. are still on point, not to mention the beautiful sound. If you can get over the lack of "film look" and accept that its fluid reality cannot be comprehended in the usual sense, there is tons enjoyment still to be had with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
There's a whole lot of easier ways than those questions to get to "failed actress dreams idealized version of her life". Maybe they point out some nice attention to detail but nothing that is gonna blow the movie wide open. I love the poo poo out of Mulholland Drive but it's got a following that misses the forest for the trees very much like The Shining does.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I think my favorite BV deleted scene is the stuff from the corny opening act at the nightclub. It just goes on and on and on AND ON AND ON AND

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Recently rewatched Lost Highway after a really, really long time (last time I saw it was on a rented VHS). It seems to get the short shrift of Lynch's psychosexual thrillers but I think it's possibly the best-shot and best-edited of them. The montage of Fred's breakdown (just before they find him "gone/changed") thoroughly gave me the willies, as did that motel corridor with the flickering lights and about a half a dozen other moments. Also interesting to realize as Radio Spiricom pointed out that both it and Mulholland Drive are a guilty/failed person's elaborate fantasy of innocence/success. In that department IMO Mulholland Drive has the edge because the finished feature can be interpreted to be symbolically about the failure of the TV pilot. Or some poo poo like that, I dunno.

Frankston, if you are interested enough in Lynch to chronologically go through his work, which is a good way to do it, make sure you watch his pre-Eraserhead short films ASAP! They are really good, especially The Grandmother.

e: Wild at Heart is *kisses fingertips*, do not listen to that MFer who said skip it

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 23, 2016

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I have been watching and rewatching Premonition Following An Evil Deed lately. Everything in that film you see just long enough and just clearly enough to inspire obsession. It reminds me of the Zapruder film in that way.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Bad Lieutenant POC:NO had some here and there.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Xealot posted:

It's like David Lynch made a nightmare-universe version of Tree of Life. Or maybe 2001.

Detected some Cremaster Cycle in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Lost Highway feels a tad more commercial than most of his other films, (just the music maybe?) maybe lesser or transitional due to not having had reams and reams written about it like BV and MD.

• Locked thread