Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Party Boat posted:

After being told that my wife and I had gotten into Twin Peaks, my father in law decided to gift us a Lynch film.

He gave us Inland Empire.

I didn't hate it but I felt like I'd jumped from 0-60. It's a hosed up fever dream of a film and I really liked the way it basically operates on dream logic, amplifying little fears until they become the world. We watched Berberian Sound Studio not long after and it hit a lot of the same notes (although in a much more accessible fashion).

I need to watch more Lynch.

Yeah, Inland Empire is probably Lynch's most divisive film. I'm not a fan myself, but if you can get through that then you can easily take on the rest of his filmography.

Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are my personal favorites of his work, and The Straight Story is very good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I imagine that Eraserhead interview is the one that was on the special edition of Eraserhead 2000 DVD remaster.

I believe it is. It also is on the Criterion disc as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I think IE is two (or maybe three) brilliant memorable short films chopped up and diluted in one overlong, indulgent mess. (And he had already done Rabbits before, so why we needed it again, I don't know.) I don't think DL had a proper script and he edited it himself - which was fatal. Mary Sweeney did a great job on his previous films and DL needs some constraints to channel his work. He filmed too much because it was digital, so he didn't need to economise with film. That left him with too much material. IE lacks the humour, wit, memorable characters, approachability and balance that made his previous work great. I've watched IE two or three times and I can't remember a single character's name. You can't say that about any of DL's previous films good, bad or patchy. I am not anti-arthouse (Eraserhead is my favourite DL film) but IE is a mess.

E: After IE there was a long period when fans thought he'll just promote TM and make art and never make another film. I said "If any more films are like IE then I'm glad he'll never make any more." And I'm a real hardcore Lynchian. That's how irritated IE made me.

This is essentially how I felt about IE. I guess I'm glad it exists for the sake of comparison to other films, but it was just...too much for me. I'm not a fan of the digital look of the film at all either, and three hours of that was not enjoyable at all for me. Maybe that was also the point, but I don't know.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

I like mulholland drive in that if you were to make a single edit to the movie, namely make a cut when 'rita' opens the blue box and take everything after that cut and put it at the start, there are basically no plot ambiguities.

Yet, in the order its in now, it's pretty rare anyone walks away feeling they watched a coherent movie.

Pretty much. I feel like there's a contingent of people on the internet that keep trying to make the film have a more complicated plot than it really does, by adding in silly theories about time loops and the like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't some of those Twin Peaks spoilers happen when Lynch wasn't directly involved with the show's writing for several months though?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

weekly font posted:

If you can tolerate his "style" for lack of a better term, Film Crit Hulk's analysis of Mulholland Drive is excellent.

Yeah, glancing over the review it seems that he has the right idea about how Lynch is relating dreams to cinema, by initially constructing the dream portion of the film as a more conventional noirish mystery movie, before the illusion all breaks down.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm normally behind whatever Lynch wants to do but that digital look in INLAND EMPIRE just makes my eyes bleed. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even if IE is his last feature, at least Twin Peaks S3 is something like 18 hours long now, with every episode being directed by Lynch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine seeing this blown up on a theatre screen.

I heard it looked even worse in theaters than it does on TV.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite non-sequitur in INLAND EMPIRE is when several characters just vanish halfway through a music video of The Loco-Motion for absolutely no reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My interpretation was that the Owls were vessels or agents of BOB.

Unless that is what the Owls are supposed to SEEM like, and if the Owls are not what they seem then I have no idea.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Straight Story owns.

It might be my favorite film of 1999.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I knew a guy that hated Ebert's Lynch reviews. He hated him for giving negative reviews to Blue Velvet and Lost Highway and then he hated him even more for giving positive reviews to Mulholland Dr. and INLAND EMPIRE and was glad when Ebert died a few years ago.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Sounds like kind of a simpleton.

Bright dude otherwise, though when it came to movies he kind of dropped the ball.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oneforthevine posted:

That it was so widely panned is a travesty.
This has me curious- does anyone know how people back in 1992 that hadn't seen the show generally rated the movie? I understand show fans being disappointed by the dark tone of the movie, but I wonder about how other people reacted.

You know, beside the Cannes audience that booed it or whatever. gently caress those people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oneforthevine posted:

Anecdotally, I've read comments on blogger Lostinthemovies's great video series "Journey Through Twin Peaks" from people who saw the film without having watched the show and loved it as a piece of surrealist horror. I also know the thing did super well in Japan, of all places.
Yeah this is more the kind of thing I'm wondering about.

I've heard the movie and show both did super well in Japan, though I'm not sure I've heard a singular explanation as to why this is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dude if you liked Lost Highway you should check out Edgar G. Ulmer's movie Detour. It's in the public domain so it's pretty easy to find.

Lost Highway is basically an unofficial remake just with Lynchian supernatural stuff added in. The lead actor in Detour even murdered his wife!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

and critic violet lucca has a new essay on the 30th anniversary revival of blue velvet that opens today http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/blue-velvet-homecoming/

Interesting article, as someone having never checked out the deleted scenes before. It sounds like those deleted scenes really do change the entire point of Blue Velvet.

I've always kind of considered Blue Velvet to be Lynch's update on Rear Window, but it appears that they were a little more different until editing on the former began.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think some of what she says is questionable. "[W]hat is constant in noir is that all the problems of the world are linked to female sexuality"? I think she's really overstating that as there's a long list of noirs where that just isn't the case, and then her trying to say female sexuality isn't linked to the problems Jeffrey faces in Blue Velvet borders on nonsensical, when, you know, his sexual experiences with Dorothy is a big part of what allures him to the darkness.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding her point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Film criticism is largely garbage. This is something I find to be truer and truer as I get older.
Eh there's still enough good for me to enjoy being a part of that world. It's a bit frustrating these days with the internet allowing everyone with a blog to call themselves a critic, but I see enough people with decent things to say that keeps me interested.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you talking about Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks, Pedro?

I thought that was a good read but I kind of agree that you need to take anything it says with a grain of salt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've seen people complain it's too American and European centric. Don't think I agree but I've seen people say it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW some of the deleted scenes for the movie were blatantly set after the timeline of the show. It's a little less obvious in the final cut of the film, but it was still very much designed to be seen afterwards as Hate Ball was saying.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

INLAND EMPIRE is the only Lynch movie I've hated. I keep thinking I should give it another chance but then I remember that three hour runtime and how I dislike the general look of the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

So then folks, what did we think?
I feel like its a version of INLAND EMPIRE where I have an actual way in, and am able to really appreciate it as a result. I was glued to my screen for four straight hours.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm 90% sure Lost Highway was inspired by Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour and hell the lead actor of that murdered his wife too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

people always say this which is understandable but for me its biggest and clearest influences are vertigo and kiss me deadly. its also worth noting that something wild (1986) is essentially the midpoint between vertigo and lost highway
I can see the Vertigo relation (And it seems I'll have to check out this Something Wild movie now), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts in regards to Kiss Me Deadly and Lost Highway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still can't believe that Mel Brooks of all people produced that and got Lynch to direct it because of how he loved Eraserhead.

Anyways yeah Elephant Man owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The chart is dumb and you should just watch the whole show if you want to watch it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the ways those episodes stand in contrast to the S2 finale, FWWM, and now The Return is super cool and good.

Also the Civil War stuff owns and genuinely fits into Lynch and Frost's themes in the series, even if the execution is nothing like they would do.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's cool and good. Just don't go in expecting early 90's Lynch- it's more in line with his later stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Super Fan posted:

loving Jim Belushi is in the new Twins Peaks?
Yeah and he's fuckin' great in it too. Who knew?

• Locked thread