Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Decided to finally check out Dune tonight while my Twin Peaks-inspired Showtime subscription was still active. I knew it got a mixed reception from both Lynch fans and fans of the book, but I never imagined a movie that features Coop, Big Ed and Captain Picard riding a giant sand worm could be so boring. The sets and costumes were fantastic, but I couldn't force myself to care about these wooden characters, and I could barely stay awake. The constant expository voice over was a real bummer too.

I don't think I'll want to watch this again for many years. I still need to see The Elephant Man, Wild at Heart and The Straight Story to finish off his feature films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Inland Empire isn't for everyone, but it's my favorite thing he's ever done. It's so abrasive and ugly; you really have to set aside 3 hours in a pitch black room and just stew in it. Calling a Lynch film dreamlike feels redundant, but it really is like stepping into someone's nightmare.

Walking into an empty theater to watch IE in daylight and walking out completely bewildered long after sunset is the highlight of my movie-going career.

Edit: Unrelated, but I've had this song on repeat since I finished TP Season 3. I think the majority of Lynch's music kind of sucks, but I like how the same themes and motifs keep showing up, no matter what medium he's working in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxEk44Zj5Kw

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 25, 2017

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

david_a posted:

the clothes the Guild people wear are made out of morgue body bags.

Previously-used body bags!

quote:

The suits worn by the Guild members were body bags that were found in a disused fire station dating back to the early 1920's. The bags had actually been used several times, something that was kept from the cast members until after shooting was completed.

After finishing TP season 3, I've been thinking a lot about why I like Lynch so much, and one thing that keeps popping up is his ability to make really mundane things so frightening or menacing. The ceiling fan, the bum behind Winkie's, Bob is just a guy in a denim jacket, etc. Even the "experiment" is pretty tame compared to something like a Xenomorph.

I think it's a big reason why his work feels so authentically dreamlike. I never have nightmares about cliche movie monsters chasing me, but I definitely have bad dreams about certain objects or people feeling "wrong."

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

If there's a Scale of Lynchiness, where The Straight Story is a 1 and Inland Empire is a 10, I'd say Season 3 is an 8.5. It has some of the most bizarre and inaccessible stuff he's ever done, but it's built on a solid foundation that most people could enjoy with the right mindset.

It's the only show I've ever seen where I had literally no idea what would happen episode-to-episode, which is justification enough for watching it IMO.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I rewatched Lost Highway for the first time in ~10 years tonight. For whatever reason, it still doesn't do much for me. All the stuff I like about his other movies is present, but the plot feels too contrived, and I can't stand Pullman, Arquette or Getty. It's also extremely 90s in a way that I find really unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Oh yeah, there are definitely scenes and ideas I liked (everything with Robert Blake, the insane sax solo), but the full picture just falls flat for me, especially whenever Getty is on screen.

I found all the Rammstein kind of goofy, but the Bowie song ruled.

• Locked thread