Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I love Lynch, but I've been on the fence and waiting to watch Inland Empire for about 5 years now. There seems to be only two schools of thought from Lynch fans - it's either totally brilliant and horrifying and sticks with you, or it's a complete waste of time "up his own rear end" garbage. The fact that it's so long is probably the biggest barrier to me just sitting down and watching it, what's everyone here think about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just watched Lost Highway because of this thread.

I liked it, but my appreciation is a lot more intellectual than most David Lynch films. Robert Blake and Robert Loggia were both great, and the tailgating scene was pretty hilarious. It didn't hit me on the same visceral level as Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet.

Is the idea that Fred came up with the Pete Dayton thing as a desperate excuse for his murder?
I like Lost Highway a lot, but I feel the same way as you do - it didn't quite strike me on the emotional level that Mulholland Drive did. Still, it's a really good movie, and Robert Loggia is great in it. "You doin' okay Pete? I'm real glad to know you're doin' okay." And of course, the tailgating scene you mentioned. I think I once heard Michael Anderson (guy who plays The Man From Another Place on TP) say that he was driving with Lynch once and Lynch went off on a similar rant about tailgaters.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\ This is the worst way possible to film a TV series, which requires careful crafting (set-ups, pay-offs, introduction and resolution of storylines etc), pacing and regular cliff-hangers. Ever since DL split from Mary Sweeney, his editor, he has had editorial bloat - which is the main reason IE is a mess. He didn't have anyone on hand to tell him focus and cut down on the multiple strands.

TP S3 may turn out to be the most expensive car crash in TV history. It may end up getting cancelled before it is fully aired. IE was only for diehard DL fans and cost nothing so no one cared it was lovely. TP S3 is for mainstream audiences, will cost a fortune and has to please TV executives. I hope TP S3 turns out well but I have a bad feeling about it....
I've had the same worries, however each episode was also co-written by Mark Frost, and Frost is apparently on set for the actual filming. That gives me some hope of things not going completely off the rails.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Seeing what Laura went through first hand in the movie(although even that is just a small fraction of it), you really see those first few episodes of the series differently. I'm talking specifically about Donna, James, and Bobby, and how they're dealing with the fact that something shocking but yet almost tragically expected has happened to Laura.
Definitely. The last time I rewatched the first season (very recently) I made sure to remember that Bobby had actually killed a guy days prior.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

The only two that's tangentially related to each other are Lost Highway to Twin Peaks, because Lynch said they're "in the same world" at one point, and even that's a stretch.
I've yet to see the source of that quote, even though I've seen it repeated for years.

• Locked thread