Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
While I think it is great, I cannot watch Eraserhead. I saw it a couple times long ago, and ended up having some major stress related dreams at the time that combined with night terrors to the point that even seeing still images of the woman in the radiator (including that calf tattoo above) freaks me out. It has become the embodiment of dread to me. But I love all of his stuff, and I think Inland Empire is the most amazing and intense movie I have ever seen, and have watched Twin Peaks more times than I can count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Mulholland Drive had the same Pilot/Movie deal that TP did, but it didn't pan out. If the ending feels rushed, it's because it kinda is. It collapses a couple of very rich plotlines very neatly. Who knows if the show would have went the same route, I don't know if ABC (I think they put up the money for it) would have went for a Lesbian romance at the center of prime time TV. Club Silencio would have made for a pretty killer season finale.

I recently rewatched MD (for probably the 5th or 6th time) with a friend who had never seen anything by Lynch before [Edit: We had just finished watching all of TP and FWWM, so MD was a "here's more Lynch" but it was still pretty new to her]. In trying to explain to her how it was a TV pilot turned into a movie I found the original pilot script. It's pretty interesting to read the script and understand what was added to the movie to complete it. I really think it's pretty amazing how he managed to turn a pilot into a movie, and still make it work.
http://www.lynchnet.com/mdrive/mdscript.html

Full Battle Rattle posted:

TP:FWWM is amazing and one of my favorite films of all time. I actually prefer it to the show. Anyone else like that?

I actually watched FWWM before the series, so I was spoiled on the original mystery, but I still loved the show. I wouldn't recommend anyone else go in that way, because I feel like I missed out on enjoying the original mystery. At the same time, it was interesting to watch the series knowing what was going to happen and the tension how everything was playing out. But, I also think that's why I didn't have a problem with FWWM. I could totally understand if someone had watched through the series first and then had FWWM thrown at them. The series does a great job of juxtaposing serious mystery and tension with comedy and some tender moments. FWWM is just relentlessly depressing.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Lord Krangdar posted:

Funny how it still has the line "and now I'm in this dream place" in the original script.

I sort of expect that Lynch had a good idea of the framework of the plot for the series in advance, and we would have ended up with something similar to the movie in the end. But that's just a guess.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Mulholland Drive was the movie that really clued me into what Lynch's movies were about. Before that I liked them just because they were sort of weird and incomprehensible. Eraserhead gave me nightmares for many years. But MD, with the keys in the DVD, showed me that he does have some vague intent. There's a story there for all his movies, but you need to unlock it. But even if you can't unlock it, there is a lot there about just evoking emotion outside of any narrative. That's the biggest thing with Inland Empire for me. For the most part it doesn't make any sense as far as story, but it brings up some emotions and feeling on a dream/nightmare level. Some people will just brush it off because there's no real story. Other people will brush off that there's no real story and get overwhelmed by the feeling.

• Locked thread