Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I think IE is two (or maybe three) brilliant memorable short films chopped up and diluted in one overlong, indulgent mess. (And he had already done Rabbits before, so why we needed it again, I don't know.) I don't think DL had a proper script and he edited it himself - which was fatal. Mary Sweeney did a great job on his previous films and DL needs some constraints to channel his work. He filmed too much because it was digital, so he didn't need to economise with film. That left him with too much material. IE lacks the humour, wit, memorable characters, approachability and balance that made his previous work great. I've watched IE two or three times and I can't remember a single character's name. You can't say that about any of DL's previous films good, bad or patchy. I am not anti-arthouse (Eraserhead is my favourite DL film) but IE is a mess.

E: After IE there was a long period when fans thought he'll just promote TM and make art and never make another film. I said "If any more films are like IE then I'm glad he'll never make any more." And I'm a real hardcore Lynchian. That's how irritated IE made me.

IE was an extremely unique film experience for me. I had just moved to Arizona and learned about a small independent theater not far from me (aside from being the local dollar theater, they'd also do the Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday nights, screen movies like Hammer's Dracula films or Coffy or The Holy Mountain, and other fun stuff like that) and I found out through their MySpace that they were doing a David Lynch film festival one weekend. I was literally the only person to show up (it was in Chandler, AZ so I wasn't surprised). The owner of the theater was a cool guy, and his attitude was basically "hey, you showed up, I'll run everything we had planned if you want" so we watched a few of Lynch's short films together and then he left me alone to watch IE for the first time. Sitting alone in that empty theater, furiously chain-smoking, trying to wrap my head around what was going on - it was one of my favorite film experiences ever. I've since tried to watch the film at home and usually get distracted or don't finish it (and like you, I'm a pretty die-hard fan of his) and I do feel as though it's too self-indulgent now, but that first time I saw it I was just engrossed by it. Really weird experience. Even had to ask the owner to take a little break afterwards (we ate some tacos together) before jumping back in for Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and the TP pilot because the dark empty theater felt oppressively claustrophobic by the end of the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Fire walk With Me good? I really really love the very first Twin Peaks episode but after that it becomes a soap opera so didn't care about it after that.

It's incredibly unlike the series (to the point where it really seems to piss off a lot of fans of the show), there's no sight of the soapishness that the series spoofed/embraced as it went on. You get a lot of what made that first episode of Twin Peaks so good, and some really dark, haunting, often heartbreaking Lynchian storytelling as it explores what led up to the pilot.

• Locked thread