Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I love David Lynch but I still haven't seen about half his movies. Need to see: Elephant Man, Straight Story, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire (haven't seen Dune but from what I've heard about it I probably don't need to). Mulholland Drive is not only my favorite Lynch movie but might be my absolute favorite movie overall, I think it's a work of perfect genius. If I ever want to freak myself out for the rest of the day I just need to think about the guy behind the diner...great, now I've gone and done it. And now you have too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 8, 2015

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The fact that he can make this insanely unnerving puts him in a class without peer.

It's like, who would even think to do that shot in the first place, much less make it have that effect? An incredible genius who just looks at the mundane and sees the existential horror in it, that's who.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

weekly font posted:

It's a fantastic shot. Frames an extremely mundane thing into looking off. None of the architecture makes sense, the railings look distorted and unaligned. Like real life Escher.

Yeah, I noticed that none of the architectural lines of the space align with the horizontal or vertical edges of the frame - everything is crooked. Which is a feat considering how many straight lines are in the shot.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

IMO the closer we can get to a pure representation of David Lynch's id the better. An editor is just going to try to make things "make sense."

(I'm only being half facetious here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Those clues are great and not intended to lend any kind of logical clarity to the narrative. They're there to reinforce the dream state of the film by calling attention to things that seem within your grasp but you can't fully deconstruct, much like a half remembered dream. David Lynch is the last person who would give you clues to "decode" his films, he's on record saying he would never try to explain to anyone what his films are about.

• Locked thread