Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
There should be a sticker on all copies of Inland Empire that says WARNING: FOR DAVID LYNCH PROS ONLY.

I'm not saying that you need to be "smart enough" to watch it or "abstract enough" to understand it or anything pompous like that. It's just that if you aren't familiar with the language of Lynch's films, it's pretty daunting. Also in the same vein, if you started with IE and loved it you might actually be disappointed with some of his other films.

Another David Lynch consideration:

When you watch or read an interview with Lynch, take a drink whenever he uses the word "abstraction". You'll be drunk a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
It's worth noting that Fire Walk With Me also has a great soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bij6d-KU4aA

I know lots of people HATE that film but I think it's great. Lynch likes it too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cat doter posted:

Fire Walk With Me is that darkness. It's a loving crime that most Twin Peaks fans don't understand that and hate the film. It's Lynch saying "You know all that horrible stuff we were alluding to? This is it." It's great, I love it.

Nailed it. FWWM is a journey into the dark. There aren't any drat fine cups of coffee here.

The movie literally starts with an axe going into a TV set, so it's not like Lynch doesn't warn you that this isn't going to be like the TV show either.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

The coolest thing about BOB is that the entire character and concept was conceived by accident when the person's reflection inadvertently got got in a mirror in the set for a second.

Actually I would need to go back and check in Lynch on Lynch but I believe that the concept was there but he was never intended to appear on-screen.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE QUARTER VIEW OF AN ADULT SHARING HIS OBSESSION WITH STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET.

As for Lynch representing the world, this is frightening to me because for me personally, Lynch somehow knows how to capture my nightmares on screen. I watch a lot of horror films, but Lynch is the only director who has made me pause a film so I can regroup and have a glass of cold water to calm down.

Also re-watching Twin Peaks again recently did some serious messing with my dreams for at least a week.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oddly enough, the rest was almost entirely split between Dune and Elephant Man.

You can say whatever you want about DUNE as a movie, but it's art direction was amazing so I'm not surprised that it would be featured in an installation piece like that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

You know he's incredibly against that, right?

Instead of logical chapters they could do what Vinegar Syndrome does with their DVDs and BluRays and actually break the film into the actual reels it was originally shipped to theatres with to meet him halfway. Those breaks are already in the film and not something projected onto the film by whoever is mastering the home video version at least.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cat doter posted:

twin peaks fans being all butthurt that it's not like the show bums me the gently caress out, the tone of that movie is goddamn ESSENTIAL to understanding twink peaks as a whole

I love FWWM but I think the reason people were disappointed was because they were hungry for more of the same and instead it started with Lynch literally having an axe go into a TV set to establish that he didn't give a gently caress about making more of the same.

I agree with you that what we got was essential Twin Peaks anyway. It was just hard to take for some of the fans of the show who forgot that Lynch is an actual artist so you have to decide to follow him instead of vice versa.

It's full nightmare mode Twin Peaks.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know Lynch was really frustrated by the network forcing him to reveal Palmer's killer halfway through the second season. It really sucks he walked away from it for so long, because holy cow that is some bad television. I'd be bitter if I was a cast member, too.

The cast went from being on one of the most wildly original and intelligent TV shows to a horrible parody of that same show and back again in the same season. That must have been quite the ride. I feel bad for them, but it was Lynch's vision that made the show so it was his to walk away from. I don't necessarily subscribe to Hitchcock's view of actors as cattle or mere devices that directors use, but I think when you're relying so heavily on a strong creative force like David Lynch, it becomes at least partially true, and the network forced his hand in demonstrating that.

If I could think of a modern day example that's just as absurd as taking Lynch away from Twin Peaks, think of what "Louie" would be like if the network continued the show after Louis CK walked. Same characters and themes, but being made by people pretending to be Louis CK instead. Twin Peaks might as well have been called "Lynch" (or in this example "Lynchie" I guess).

EDIT -- holy poo poo, now I want a version of "Louie" that stars David Lynch instead (yeah I know he was on Louie, but I want a version of Louie where it's stories about David Lynch doing poo poo around LA instead and instead of stand-up segues, we see Lynch sitting around having a smoke with Harry Dean Stanton talking about poo poo).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 24, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think what you really want is a Gordon Cole spinoff show

Anybody who doesn't isn't a friend of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Thank you.

You probably already know this but the whole thing where you should be able to watch a movie without words and still understand what's going on goes back to Hitchcock. Hitchcock argued that this proves that good movies are visual, that the director is all important, and that actors are just part of the scenery.

I don't necessarily agree with all of that, but he was Alfred Hitchcock and I'm a loser on the internet.

• Locked thread