Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

david_a posted:

I watched Fire Walk With Me the other day and I mostly liked it - it felt like it completed the series a bit more. The extremely mixed reviews made me a bit nervous, but the weirdness level was about what I expected. I guess people wanted more of the goofy stuff from Twin Peaks instead of the horror show ending of the film. BOB was in peak creepiness form (too bad he died :(). The lightning in David Lynch's A Goofy Movie also makes more sense now :cheeky:

About the mythology: are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

People went to FWWM expecting some Twin Peaks shenanigans, but instead they got an incredibly sad story about sexual abuse and the destruction of a teenage girl. It's always the thing that strikes me the most about that movie, the sadness of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

While the story about the Cannes audience is oft-repeated, it's worth noting that their booing and cheering of movies doesn't mean a lot, and their track ready is spotty at best. CRASH, TAXI DRIVER and PULP FICTION were also booed. By comparison, CLERKS 2 got a standing ovation.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's worth mentioning that they booed PULP FICTION when Tarantino won the Palme D'Ors because it was felt that THREE COLOURS should've won instead. That's shittier to me though, since Tarantino was on his way to the stage at the time.

But again...CLERKS 2

As it is, FIRE WALK WITH ME is a brutal masterpiece about child abuse and the final tragic days of a girl's descent into hell. Sheryl Lee is absolutely astounding in the role, and that she wasn't recognised for it more is a travesty.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

I love FWWM but I think the reason people were disappointed was because they were hungry for more of the same and instead it started with Lynch literally having an axe go into a TV set to establish that he didn't give a gently caress about making more of the same.

I agree with you that what we got was essential Twin Peaks anyway. It was just hard to take for some of the fans of the show who forgot that Lynch is an actual artist so you have to decide to follow him instead of vice versa.

It's full nightmare mode Twin Peaks.

I believe the cast were also upset. It's why Cooper isn't present in the movie more despite them mentioning a number of times that he investigated the case of Teresa Banks. Lynch left the show once he was bored with it and only came back when he wanted to do the movie, which pissed off a few cast members, particularly after the lackluster Season 2 (Which isn't that bad, but massively drags in the middle).

It's clear to see that his attitude towards the show spills over into the movie, he essentially destroys his own creation.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

This was early 1990s and he couldn't do half of the stuff in FWWM on network television. He had a new format, +18 rating, 100% control over script and direction and hey, why not do other stuff with the characters? It wasn't like the movie was ever going to be "Twin Peaks go on Spring Break". The movie was always going to be about sexual abuse, incest and murder featuring a teenage girl. Not much room Little Nicky and dastardedly Dick there.

E: Not to mention that DL wanted to do 2 extra films about Twin Peaks but the box office returns were too low. He definitely did love TP and wanted to do more with it in film and darker, but yes, he did allow TP to fall apart during S2, though exactly how much personal involvement/control he had over scripts and new characters in later S2 I don't know.

Oh I know, I'm just saying that it's a very conscious choice that doesn't just start and end with the axe to the TV moment.

Franchescanado posted:

A large part of his lack of involvement with S2 is due to working on Wild at Heart, as well as other projects.

And I thought Cooper was absent for a lot of FWWM because Kyle was tired of the character and didn't want to be typecast as "FBI character". And the whole debacle with Coop and Audrey being written out of their romance due to behind the scenes drama fueled the fire of him being tired of the franchise, let alone the flannel episodes.

I've heard that repeated a few times, but it makes no sense since Wild At Heart was released in 1990, before S2 was renewed.

I'll have to see if I can find the interview, but I think its a Random Roles interview with one of the cast members (I want to say Sheryl Lee) who hesitated when answering, but basically said there was tension with Lynch coming back because his real focus was the movie and that he only came back to the show when he wanted something. I'm sure it wasn't a sentiment shared by the whole cast, but the idea was clear that there were a few key members who felt that way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

andrew o'hehir in conversation with martha nochimson, who wrote the books wild at heart in hollywood, and david lynch swerves (which are two of the better books about lynch that aren't lynch on lynch or beautiful dark, the latter of which features the best sustained discussion on lynch's late movies) for salon http://www.salon.com/2016/03/28/blue_velvets_mystery_of_masculinity_how_david_lynchs_masterwork_reshaped_american_consciousness/

probably gonna see the restoration tonight

That conversation is frustratingly short.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Showtime have confirmed that TWIN PEAKS is airing in May and that it'll be 18 episodes. They've also stated it'll be a one-and-done deal.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So then folks, what did we think?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

York_M_Chan posted:

I am mixed...

As a Lynch work I loved it.

As a fan of Twin Peaks and I'm not sold yet. One thing I loved about the original series was that it reigned in Lynch's insanity and that somehow made it even creepier.

I think episode 3 is really going to make it or break it for a lot of people. It...goes places.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LOST HIGHWAY is about the OJ Simpson case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Cromulent posted:

Definitely. The last time I rewatched the first season (very recently) I made sure to remember that Bobby had actually killed a guy days prior.

I have a feeling that's never going to be addressed again. It seems like a big misstep because they wanted to give something Bobby to do in the movie. Plus it kind of spoils his arc in the show, particularly S3.

Nothing really about his characterisation in the show after really jives with what happened, unlike Donna for example where her story in the movie is an extension of that in the show.

• Locked thread