Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Tirranek posted:

Not trying to take away from all the interesting discussion that's been had about it, but I've never been able to see Mullholland Drive in any way other than the standard actor's guilt-trip/suicide. That theory just works so perfectly, it feels like other theories are looking for something that isn't there.
I don't think you need to interpret it any other way. I never viewed the story as anything more than It was all a dream!, which in most other director's hands would be extremely lame. That's not to say the film isn't chock full of intentional symbolism and metaphor, though, and doesn't deserve to be analyzed because it's clearly saying much more than that.

It's why I find the criticisms about David Lynch's work being a bunch of made-up nonsense as incredibly stupid. All his work has actually been pretty simplistic to follow if you bother to pay attention, it's how he tells it that makes it stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread