Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
RIP Alice the Undead Hunter, killed by a basilisk.

Time to start over:

Eternity the Fighter/Illusionist. So named because she's going to live forever, ya hear me? Born Hero, if you can believe it, got an 87 stat roll. Going for the all-neutral party this time.

Spook helped take down Tarnesh. I haven't used this spell much before, but it's proved quite useful.

Neira got the same treatment, with a little help from Branwen's Command spell.

We went to recruit Safana as our thief. Without a male party member, Branwen had to wear the cursed belt and become Manwen.

And Melicamp lived for once :aaa:

Feeling good about this party, maybe I'll get Xan later too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has escaped the Underdark and rescued Haer Dalis from the Planar Prison!

Entered Ust Natha as per usual. Won the gladiatorial events via Rasaad punches (he accounted for 50% of the kills this chapter; monks are actually really good glass cannons at high levels!) and Neera using summons during the mage battles. Shout out to Mr. Hobgoblin Elite, who stunlocked two mages in a row with his poison.

Then it was time to do the missions for Pharae. Screenshotting this because it's the only Int-dependent dialogue in all three games, as far as I know:

If you're smarter, you can name them as mind flayers or illithid.

I saved Pharae using a Death Spell to clear out the flayers, because they count as summons in that fight. Killed the beholder, spared the gnomes, spared Soluafein, etc. Deirex appears to have been killed in his cutscene where he imprisoned the party, as when we got back from Jar-whatever's plane we found only a corpse:

And then, to my utter disbelief, Rolf the Second, Slayer of Sarevok, Bester of Beholders, Menace to Mind Flayers (okay, that's mostly Mazzy), almost falls to goddamn ooze cultists. Rasaad went down immediately to concentrated mustard jelly:

Rolf then was slowed, and spent the entire rest of the fight desperately chuggin potions just to cling to life. Those Mustard Jellies must have really low THACO; they were reliably hitting him with -12 AC! I was really on edge, but fortunately Rolf barely made it. Yikes.

Turned in the blood for the Matron Mother, did the double cross.

Bam! Free of the underdark. Immediately headed to Cromwell to get that sweet Gesen bow for Mazzy. Got the other half of the silver sword on the way, too. Then decided to do the Haer'Dalis quests. I wish I had done the first part earlier; I forgot that the mage in the sewer has a rod of resurrection in his cabinet! Anyway, I follow the bounty hunters into the portal and...

gently caress you, I've got Death Ward!

I discovered that the way the game compensates for an insanely overleveled party is by making every group of Yuan-ti have at least three mages, which meant every fight was a slog of dealing with confuses, dominates, invisibility, stoneskin, and multiple contingencies. Yuck. Anti-climatically, the Warden was almost dead by the time the team got to him; it only took a single electric arrow from Mazzy to finish him off.

Rolf is currently in Firkraag's dungeon. Next update should have a couple of dragon fights!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That fighter/illusionist looks like it'll be fun. If I ever feel the desire to play the game again after all these ironman deaths (who am I kidding, of course I will), I might go for a gnome run of some sort. Just not having to deal with player romances alone will make it worth it.

Olderman the Ranger/Cleric has triumphed over Durlag's Dungeon

I actually bought and read all the Cadderly books, but it took until someone in these threads mentioning that Cadderly was a cameo that I even remembered that the books existed. They're all pretty forgettable. All I remember is that Cadderly is a cleric that can't cast for poo poo, and one of his friends is a dwarven druid that is comic relief.

As is my tradition, once I have the Strength tome I head for Durlag's.

More peculiarities. These two flesh golems spawned nonhostile. I destroyed them anyway. Everyone was rapidly approaching max levels.

I don't think I've ever seen this dialogue. It sprang up BG2 style, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any non-purist mods installed so it must be from the main game. Must be because I never used Dynaheir for so long that I never saw it. Can't cast enchantments, can't cast conjurations, doesn't like Boo. So many strikes, Dynaheir. This default party run is wearing me down.

Anyway, things went smoothly. The chessboard was even easier than usual. Six fireballs (or equivalent) and most things died. The Knights came charging, but the king was right behind them and a few more arrows cut him down and ended the game before the knights could even get in melee range.

Demon Knight was even easier with the usual surround method. Khalid nearly died from the Power Word: Kill though, Bala's Axe just didn't want to proc miscast magic.

Minsc is positively day-glo now. The other three heavy armor party members are wearing their full plate, so he had to settle for the Practical Defense +3 plate armor which glows gold. The +3 two-hand sword does too, it's pretty fun to see him walk around like an ambulatory Las Vegas strip. In fact, the original Baldur's Gate is pretty generous with glowy effects on weapons. Pretty much any +2 weapon glows. The +2 axe does, as does the +2 mace and the +2 scimitar. Ashideena does too. Even though they aren't that fantastic when compared to BG2, I'm glad that they added that bit to make you feel like Big drat Heroes with incredibly powerful magic items.

Next up: Aec'Letec. If I'm feeling up to it I might even try tackling him legit for once. Managed to find all but one of the magic shielding potions.

VVV: I cleaned out the thief shop and Sorcerous Sundries, so the one I missed must be in one of the generic potion shops then, thanks for the heads up. I'll snag it when i stop at the bridge to invis up my squishy casters in anticipation of the cult sneaks.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 5, 2015

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The only potion of magic shielding you need to find is inside the barracks on the Cloakwood Mines map. The remaining 5 are purchased in the city: 3 at the Sorcerous Sundries, 1 at the thief guild's shop, and 1 at one of the various potion vendors around the city (they all share the same inventory). There are two such shops in the SW section.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That fighter/illusionist looks like it'll be fun. If I ever feel the desire to play the game again after all these ironman deaths (who am I kidding, of course I will), I might go for a gnome run of some sort. Just not having to deal with player romances alone will make it worth it.

Aerie still dates Gnomes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I was going to wait to update until Stabs McBadidea, solo Fighter/Thief had killed Abazigal, but this morning, while fighting Draconis for the key to the lair, I forgot to equip my anti-fear gear as Draconis turned back into a loving dragon. That was bad, because I promptly got feared, and proceeded to run around like a chicken with its head off. Preparation saved the day, however, and my backup plan of planting a minefield full of traps at the entrance of the area saved my rear end, as I randomly kited Draconis over to it and he went down in a hail of (perfectly normal) traps. He didn't even make it through to the epic ones.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Aerie still dates Gnomes.

Dammit. Well, maybe my gnome run will be a Leader of the Underdogs run and I won't have to deal with Aerie at all.

Olderman the Ranger/Cleric has defeated Aec'Letec!

And the closest I came to a character death was with some of the cult guards.

Are you kidding me!? All in a row, too! It was a close one; she was a little hurt from the previous fight.

As you can see I had Khalid branch off into axes with his two extra proficiency points. That returning throwing axe is so good, it's worth the wait. Also worth having someone able to use a shield with a ranged weapon that isn't a sling. They hardly do any worthwhile damage this late in the game, but that axe really hammers enemies. Bala's axe is fun, though the miscast magic rarely procs when I want. And the +2 regular axe is much better for general melee fighting than the magic bastard swords, though he does have the +3 versus shapeshifters on standby for all the various doppelgangers.

Right, back to the fight.

I still had people sneak in to take out the cult guards because I'm not suicidal. Featured: Minsc in the buff, and perhaps the only time I'll ever use his stealth feature. Once that was done the duo slipped back upstairs without alerting the head cultist for a big BUFF party.

Inlcuding our magic shielding potions. Thanks again, Suspicious, I found the last one right where you said it would be.

CHAAARGE! I might have over-prepared. Even though Minsc has good natural strength and Khalid had the gauntlets of ogre power, I gave all three warriors a potion of frost giant strength for that +4 to thac0. Also I had nearly 20 potions of speed so I popped four on the warriors and Olderman. Also, Minsc doubled down on fortitude and agility potions.

Yeah, I definitely over-prepared. He didn't bother targeting anyone other than Jaheira and maybe Khalid with his evil eyes and such, so the other four potions of magic shielding were sorta a waste. Aec'Letec didn't even bring Jaheira below the HP she had after the cultist fight up above.

Still, it was fun to semi-legit fight Aec'Letec. I doubt I'll do it again, though. Even though I could probably do it flawlessly over again it's just such a big drain on resources. I'd rather save them for the Sarevok fight and just cloudkill the demon like usual.

Speaking of resources, I wanted to make the most of all the potions I used so I had the group bum-rush the Ice Island quest while they still were basically immune to everything that could be thrown at them

I made it this far before the Magic Shielding wore off. To take out the rest I just had imoen invis forward to take out the traps and open each fight with a backstab. Magic ammo punching past their arrow protection was enough to end the rest of the fights before Horror or Confusion could be used.

Next up: I dunno, Balduran's Isle? Now that I have someone who can actually use Balduran's bastard sword I want to take another shot at the Loup-Garou. Still got plenty of strength and speed potions! Not much else point to it, though, I might just finish the game instead.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Ted ^^^^, you clearly didn't finish the Cleric Quintet. By about the start of book 4, Cadderly is basically shooting clerical magic out of his ears. He resurrects the dead, walks on water, and charms a huge gently caress-off red dragon. What I'm saying is that he's about 2/3 of the way to being Jesus.

Call Lightning has been mentioned a fair bit in this thread... did either or both BG games implement Static Charge? It might be from NWN only, but Static Charge is a 5th-level spell and is basically indoors Call Lightning. Druid only, and I can understand it not being very available in BG1 - only single-class druids can hit 9 under the exp cap and Ironskins is a fantastic level 5 spell - but it would be really handy for all of those tombs, dungeons and towers in BG2 and ToB.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has completely everything in Baldur's Gate 2 other than Suldawhatever!

Adamant Golems are no fun:

Imagine this for a couple minutes, then repeat several times.

Firkragg himself I hoped would prove a more exciting challenge. The plan was to buff the front line heavily and have them tank until Neera could get the dragon's magic resistance lowered, at which point he would go down to greater malision and finger of death.

Well, he didn't even last four rounds. Never even casted his fire breath attack! Not a very exciting fight.

The plan worked better against the Shadow Dragon, probably because its cast of PfMW allowed it to survive long enough to die to Imoen's Finger of Death.

After that, it was time for Mazzy to go Lich hunting. Gave her Azuredge and the usual complement of buffs (Chaotic Commands, PfE, Death Ward, PfF), and had her go to town. Both re-died without anything unexpected occurring.

Now, it was time for the big man himself. I tried to blitz his lich form with double Sunburst + Azuredge and the Mace, but the skeleton jerk made all of his saves. Luckily, he didn't do too much damage and I was able to get him to reveal his true self. I immediately knocked him away from the rest of the party with the Ring of the Ram, where Rolf could go Slayer. Thanks for whoever gave the tip that Slayer makes one immune to Imprison! Thanks to that, Kangaxx was slain and Rolf got a shiny new ring.

I next tried to do the Illithid lair under the city. But Mazzy's hit and run tactics were not nearly as successful due to the narrow corridors and high enemy density. I tried to juke and dodge...

But eventually she was cornered and brain drained. After that, I tried to use summons to weaken the tentacled horde, but to my dismay I learned that they can brain drain even skeletons and golems!

I decided to burn Neera's swords to defeat them. That left it for Rasaad to take down the Alhoon, which he did with the Boomerang Dagger you get from the Limited Wish quest. Who knew that thing would come in handy? Although the finishing blow was with a punch.

Now I was able to finally forge the Crom Fejyer! This gave Rolf a really nice damage boost.

The Guarded Compound wasn't a problem. Abi Dalzim is a great spell; lots of damage, no scaling cap, and party-friendly!

Finally, it was time for the Twisted Rune. Shandalar kindly teleported right into the heart of the party. He didn't last long.

Something did manage to kill Neera, but other than that and Rasaad getting drained, the fight was without too much difficulty. Good buffing and summoning saves lives! And now Neera has a nice stick.

Nothing in the Vampire Lair was even worth a screenshot. There was not an enemy there who could touch Rolf with Improved Haste, Righteous Might, Armor, and the Mace of Disruption and the Crom. So now, it's off to Elfland for our hero!

]

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea has destroyed Abazigal and turned him into a suit of armor that she will never use. I always do Sendai first, because seriously, gently caress cheatyface bosses that manage to wrangle immunity to time stop. Complete bullshit, man. And on top of that bullshit, he can cast HEAL. I had to kill him THREE TIMES.

I would stab a thousand babies for Durlag's Goblet, wherever the gently caress it ended up when that shitlord Irenicus sold off all my poo poo.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp! Olderman is triumphant over Sarevok! I finally got a ranger/cleric into BG2. And I am about as sick of the original Baldur's Gate as its possible to be... which isn't much, but all the same I think I'll put it away until the next Ironman thread. Now that I have three contenders for BG2, I'll see if I can have at least one eke out my first BG2 Ironman win. Whee!

I forgot to take a screenshot of the pile of werewolf (or wolfwere?) bodies outside the husk of Balduran's ship. I have my best luck drawing out everyone into a big melee brawl rather than risk weird pathfinding in the narrow interior sending wolfweres right at my mages.

Doom, Malasion, Orb, stunned. RIP.

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V... sorta. This one resisted all the dooms and one malasion, plus it resisted or saved against a bunch of orbs. All the while Khalid was smashing it with Balduran's sword. Dynaheir ended up finishing this one off with an Orb before it could even bother to save against the stun.

Technically this fight against Sarevok doesn't count, so I abused the summon wands.

Ditto to this fight. They were much more efficient at killing low level monsters, though, so I had to blast em with more monster wand charges than the doppelganger fight. Then the cloudkill landed and everyone dropped but the mage who casted it. She didn't last much longer.

After passing a few of the magic arrows to Minsc I realized that Duke Eltan was still along for the ride. I'm sure he'd appreciate seeing Sarevok go down more than some weird dockmaster's medical advice. We'll get him to a temple right after the fight to cure him. Or raise him.

After all, the party will have to be there shortly to get Dynaheir back on her feet. I was so focused on downing Smeaj before he could fire off Chaos right after his contingency Greater Mal that I ignored Angelo for a bit too long. She ate his dispel, negating the fire resist potion I gave her, and then bravely withstood most of his arrows of detonation. She will be missed.

I tried to have Olderman solo Sarevok, but that did not go well at all. Yikes, 19 hp, easily within one-more-hit range from Sarevok. Had to pull him back and have the others eat a few hits. Good effort, group!

Olderman progresses to Baldur's Gate 2!
Honors: Let's see... Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader, Iron Party (rip Dynaheir, it doesn't count if you get raised between games), Battlemaster.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea, solo Fighter/Thief blew right through Balthazar in spite of his incredible bullshit monk ability to knock me around the room like I was nothing. And then died horrifically to the goddamn ravager. I have no idea how the gently caress I managed to beat this bullshit encounter as a single class bounty hunter, did they beef the poo poo out of it in EE?

I'm probably going to let it sit for a while, then maybe come back to it to run through a game with just new NPCs. I want to do a fighter/cleric, but then I'd be without a thief, and cleric/thief is loving awful.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

Stabs McBadidea, solo Fighter/Thief blew right through Balthazar in spite of his incredible bullshit monk ability to knock me around the room like I was nothing. And then died horrifically to the goddamn ravager. I have no idea how the gently caress I managed to beat this bullshit encounter as a single class bounty hunter, did they beef the poo poo out of it in EE?

I'm probably going to let it sit for a while, then maybe come back to it to run through a game with just new NPCs. I want to do a fighter/cleric, but then I'd be without a thief, and cleric/thief is loving awful.

You could use Imoen in 1 and then replace her with Hexxat in 2.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Imoen isn't new, though. Still, it might be possible to brute force your way through BG1 without a thief. Just get swole to force all the tough locks and drop summons on top of traps to disable them. Only problem is the resetting traps.

And yeah, cleric thieves are awful. Why do they hide the most-used thief ability behind the F12 menu?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I do know they buffed Balthazar for the EE. He's a god drat beast with his super punches. Ravages has always been a pain in the rear end if you can't tank him.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
RIP Liana the Fallen Archer, killed by an ettercap in a Cloakwood random encounter:

Really annoyed by this. I'd just picked up Coran and was pretty happy with how the run was progressing, but then three ettercaps dropped me to about 10 health and poisoned me.

Imoen ran off with all my antidotes when I accidental killed a couple of the villagers in Gullykin, and Branwen had eaten a Call Lightning, so my only hope was the PC's slow poison ability. Unfortunately I hadn't realised that can be interrupted by the poison damage, and before I could chug my one and only health potion it was curtains.

Think I'll take my non-ironman Gnome Fighter/Illusionist (currently in ch. 6) to bg2 and then ironman him from there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tuxedo Ted posted:

And yeah, cleric thieves are awful. Why do they hide the most-used thief ability behind the F12 menu?

Huh?

According to my (vintage) BG1 manual, cleric/thief has a hotbar of 1(!) quick weapon, find traps, thieving, stealth, cast spell. Everything's there, unless the manual is inaccurate (or it's something they changed in EE).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jabor posted:

Huh?

According to my (vintage) BG1 manual, cleric/thief has a hotbar of 1(!) quick weapon, find traps, thieving, stealth, cast spell. Everything's there, unless the manual is inaccurate (or it's something they changed in EE).

I don't know about that guy, but I was lamenting the fact that Cleric and Thief have negative synergy, as they want opposite types of armor, their weapon restrictions leave them with quarterstaff and sling and not much else, and the thief epics provide little that a cleric actually needs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't know about that guy, but I was lamenting the fact that Cleric and Thief have negative synergy, as they want opposite types of armor, their weapon restrictions leave them with quarterstaff and sling and not much else, and the thief epics provide little that a cleric actually needs.

Same here. I've never made a cleric/thief, even when I played BG with 6 man-made characters, and I've never recruited Tiax even though he is quite funny... cleric and thief just don't mix. Cleric and mage have similar equipment conflicts, but the combination of cleric and mage spells is incredibly powerful, so it kind of works.

It's a real pity, because thief/druid would actually have quite good synergy. I've always wanted to play one of those, because both thieves and druids level up very quickly which helps mitigate sharing exp between two classes, they wear similar armours, use some of the same weapons, and so on. Plus combining them circumvents the fact that single-class druids and thieves in BG are kind of shite. Put them together, you have a fairly effective package.

Actually, now that I think of it, weapon selection would be really pinched. I'm sure that they would be limited to weapons that only druids and thieves can both use, which basically makes it staves and slings. No bows, no crossbows, no daggers, and probably no scimitars either as I don't think that thieves can use those - not sure.

Edit: Assuming that such a hypothetical class combo would be limited to only weapons allowed to thieves and druids, the list is: club, staff, dart, sling and dagger. Quite limited. Thief/Cleric is even worse, though, as said above... staff, sling, club, and that's it. Taking daggers away from rogues is like taking bows away from rangers.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2015

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Jabor posted:

Huh?

I'm not sure why exactly but in the BG2 engine and on (thus BGT, BGEE, etc) Cleric/Thief "thief" button that you use to open locks, disarm traps, and pickpocket was placed in the special abilities because there wasn't enough room on the hotbar.

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: Assuming that such a hypothetical class combo would be limited to only weapons allowed to thieves and druids, the list is: club, staff, dart, sling and dagger. Quite limited. Thief/Cleric is even worse, though, as said above... staff, sling, club, and that's it. Taking daggers away from rogues is like taking bows away from rangers.

Thieves and druids can both use daggers and scimitars. Druid/thief would be much better synergized than cleric/thief is both because of light armor, weapon use, and just general combat role. Imagine backstabbing someone and then shifting to bear form to finish them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has died in battle to Irenicus' Dragon!

Accidentally triggered the fight while the party was fatigued and low on spells. But I arrogantly assumed because the other two dragons were easy, this one would be too so I had the party charge in. The dragon's hasted damage overwhelmed me (I had used Hardiness against the Adamantine Golems), and the entangle meant that Rolf couldn't retreat. If I had thought clearly, I could have survived by using the Superior Healing Potions I had found in Watcher's Keep or the Ring of Gaxx's improved invisibility, or just switching to the Defender of Easthaven. As it went, Neera got her Time Stop off, but in the time between the spell ending and about 6 Horrid Wiltings hitting the boss, it managed to kill Rolf before dying itself. Alas.

At least add Gaxkaang's a Wuss and Legendary Arms to Rolf's list of honors. Too bad I didn't make it to the end of 2, but this has been a lot of fun. I'll keep playing the character. He beat Irenicus' both forms without any trouble, and then something hilarious happened in the Ilsaera fight at the beginning of ToB: Mazzy used smite and 8 APR to knock the would-be assassin around the forest like a pinball. She never got a single action off.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Same here. I've never made a cleric/thief, even when I played BG with 6 man-made characters, and I've never recruited Tiax even though he is quite funny... cleric and thief just don't mix. Cleric and mage have similar equipment conflicts, but the combination of cleric and mage spells is incredibly powerful, so it kind of works.

It's a real pity, because thief/druid would actually have quite good synergy. I've always wanted to play one of those, because both thieves and druids level up very quickly which helps mitigate sharing exp between two classes, they wear similar armours, use some of the same weapons, and so on. Plus combining them circumvents the fact that single-class druids and thieves in BG are kind of shite. Put them together, you have a fairly effective package.

Actually, now that I think of it, weapon selection would be really pinched. I'm sure that they would be limited to weapons that only druids and thieves can both use, which basically makes it staves and slings. No bows, no crossbows, no daggers, and probably no scimitars either as I don't think that thieves can use those - not sure.

druids can use daggers, and seeing as magic daggers are really easy to get they'd be pretty good. i've got a mod that frees up dual/multiclasses to anything so it might be worth a try

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So Petunia is trapped up on the top floor of a tower. Turns out to be pretty simple to get her down. I send Kagain up, then run him back down. The slime decides to follow him, and with that out of the way Petunia can stealth run out of this silly tower.

Rigamarole with Umberlee, the Book of Wisdom and the antidote to Marik's poison. I end up just giving them the book, figuring I can always take it back later.

Tee hee.

Marik gets a backstab, then still manages to hit Petunia with a spell as she can't run all the way over to the stairs faster than his spell can move. Still dies though.

Well sure, mages are nothing to Petunia.

Yup, good thing I put that Protection from Petrification slot onto Baeloth.

Over to the Low Lantern, where the first of the Entropy SIsters is silly enough to follow me upstairs alone.

...but Kagain gets confused and slaughters a bystander. Shut up Ajantis, that wasn't my fault.

Then it's a close shave as I stab this one, wind up Horrored, and then she dies from poison before I die. Come on, I have Protection from Fear. Stop being dumb and use it.

This group...

...kills mages....

...very nicely. I'm pretty much rampaging at this point.

I go ahead and kill the group at Helm and Cloak too, because why not.

Then I walk into the wrong drat house. No real worry as I can just retreat everyone south, go across a screen and come back, but still.

I think I can take you, good sir. But first let's go get the Helm of Balduran. It's nice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

a medical mystery posted:

druids can use daggers, and seeing as magic daggers are really easy to get they'd be pretty good. i've got a mod that frees up dual/multiclasses to anything so it might be worth a try

Wait, there's a mod that will let you multiclass new combinations?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Valesan has cleared Nashkel mines

Decided to give the mines a shot even though I was still level one.

After a new and unexpected random encounter, I happily accepted Dorn as I've never used him before, but Ajantis was having none of it. Welp!

Immediately after two unexpected fights, the ultimate in bad BG luck happened.

Luckily it only took 6HP, but that was a scary moment.

I soldiered on, clearing out most of the mines, where an unfortunately timed phone call and forgetting to press pause resulted in Jaheira and Khalid being rather deceased. After trekking all the way back to Nashkel, I switched off Imoen's detecting traps just as the party were heading through to the Mulahey level and Dorn got splatted by a trap I'd forgotten about. There was no way I was going to waste time resurrecting him, so a four person party against Mulahey it would have to be. Swiftly three as Khalid fell almost instantly, but the ladies luckily got the job done.

Girl power indeed. (Xan joined the party at the start of the hit, took one hit and died, so I kicked him out after rezzing him. I normally play a spellcaster, so it is strange to only have Jaheira)

Kagain joined just before Tranzig bit the dust and the party wandered around the south-west of the map, grinding against wolves to reach the dizzy heights of level 3.

Most importantly of all, Mellicamp is ready in Khalid's pack for his big moment of truth.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

rakovsky maybe posted:

Thieves and druids can both use daggers and scimitars. Druid/thief would be much better synergized than cleric/thief is both because of light armor, weapon use, and just general combat role. Imagine backstabbing someone and then shifting to bear form to finish them.

druids can use daggers, and seeing as magic daggers are really easy to get they'd be pretty good.

I put that about daggers in the edit. I checked the 2nd edition Player's Handbook, and dagger was listed for both. Scimitars, though, weren't... druids can but thieves can't. I believe that scimitar and short sword are the same weapon proficiency group in the BG series, so that is why rogues can use both. As they should be, because a scimitar is very similar to a short sword in terms of weight and size, it just has a curved blade more for slashing and thrusting.

i've got a mod that frees up dual/multiclasses to anything so it might be worth a try

NinjaDebugger posted:

Wait, there's a mod that will let you multiclass new combinations?

What NinjaDebugger said to the Nth power. I think that the tweak pack allows any race to choose any single-, dual- or multi-class that is legal to at least one race, and there are mods that allow mult-classing with multiple kits and such, but I wouldn't think that other combinations would be possible due to the legal ones being hard-coded into the game. I'm going to have to see this mod to believe it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alright, so Rochard is still trucking his way through ToB. Some interesting things I've learned along the way:

The gaseous forms that vampires turn into after you kill them appear to have a little hole in their immunities...

This has to be an EE enhancement, right? I can't believe I wasted so much time screwing around with organizing my stuff in people's inventories when it came time to sell things.

Fire giants hit like trucks, and things can easily get out of hand if you take your eye off things for a moment. Thankfully, everyone has permanent movement speed buffs (5 boots of speed + Valygar is in the armour that does the same), so it's easy enough to kite someone away from them if they're in danger.

Oh, and Erinyes can dire charm you. Thankfully it's easy enough to dispel, but I really should have enraged first.

Current status: Finishing off Yaga Shura's stronghold.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gonna start up the Ironman stream in about 15 minutes (around 6:15 PM PST) for those interested!

https://www.twitch.tv/chompsgaming

e:Live!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 7, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

What NinjaDebugger said to the Nth power. I think that the tweak pack allows any race to choose any single-, dual- or multi-class that is legal to at least one race, and there are mods that allow mult-classing with multiple kits and such, but I wouldn't think that other combinations would be possible due to the legal ones being hard-coded into the game. I'm going to have to see this mod to believe it.

Yeah you're right, it opens up all available multiclasses for all races but sadly the illegal ones still wouldn't be available.

I imagine with access to the tables it's possible to implement but I have no clue how one would go about that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I imagine with access to the tables it's possible to implement but I have no clue how one would go about that.

Probably the only way would to make a Cleric Kit that's functionally identical to Druid, then use the multi-kit mod (let's you apply kits to multi-class characters) to make a cleric/thief into a druid-kit/thief. You'd be using Cleric xp tables though.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Well, Cleric/Thieves are kind of a pain in the rear end all around. The Find Traps button is on your bottom bar, sure, but I can in fact confirm that your unlocking/disarming button is under special abilities. I'd gladly give up that quick spell slot for that, but hey, whatever.

Also, while Cleric weapons like morningstars, hammers, or maces don't get a backstab bonus, summoned weapons like Spiritual Hammer or Flameblade, apparently work with backstab just fine, so it's not all terrible. Swapping armor all the drat time is just something you have to live with, though.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Jabor posted:

This has to be an EE enhancement, right? I can't believe I wasted so much time screwing around with organizing my stuff in people's inventories when it came time to sell things.

Nope, you've always been able to sell directly from containers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, after a moderately successful career wandering around the Sword Coast, Ichabod the Cleric/Illusionist had a moderately unsuccessful run-in with an ogre berserker.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Valesan the elven fighter is now in Baldur's Gate

Good news everyone!

Add one to the Mellicamp lives tally!

Valesan and her merry band went off to take on the bandits today, using the sneaky route.

After a bunch of sidequests, my hankering for Sorcerous Sundries needed to be satisfied, so with much whining, it was time to venture to Cloakwood.
Ah, Cloakwood. With its stupid poison, stupider traps and stupidest 2 random encounters per area change.
I had to run back to the Friendly Arm a few times because of ettercaps poisoning people faster than I could get Jaheira to cast Slow Poison, especially with the stupid web traps.

Within the Cloakwood areas, I stuck to the edges as far as possible and didn't bother with exploration so I could get in to the mines and out again as soon as possible
Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid were swapped out for Coran, Faldorn and Yeslick. I'd initially planned to pick up Viconia and Baeloth, but decided I was quite enjoying the arcane-free party, the complete opposite to how I usually play.
Even without mages, there is still the need to rest to heal in dungeons, which leads to plenty of fun clown car style remains lying around

The Davaeron fight was coming up, and I was nervous enough about it that I even took the rare step of using buffs.
Unfortunately for Valesan, Dorn got direcharmed, and half the party, including its glorious leader, got caught in a hold spell. The half-orc made a beeline for the one character I couldn't afford to lose and began hacking away....

I was completely convinced that it was Ironman gameover at this point.

But, with only 5 hitpoints left of the Bhaalspawn elf, Dorn bravely fought off the mind control and instead stuck his sword right through Davaeron.

Chapter 4 completed and a lucky escape for Valesan.

With Jaheira gone, there was nobody around to nag Valesan, who promptly forgot to flood the mines until Yeslick started getting antsy about it. Cue another trip past the loving annoying ettercaps

Now in Baldur's Gate, the party have smashed up Dorn's old pals and their pet demons and killed a few people (bye bye reputation!) for the Thieves Guild skyship quest.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling's continuing adventures in Amn.

To complete the Unfinished Business version of the Sir Sarles quest, I had to make a quick detour to the Umar Hills and the Temple Ruins. It didn't take too long, and you only need to open the 1st shadow door to find the required NPC. The Shade Lord in SCS is beyond me at the moment so I'll have to leave it until Chapter 6. It was night when I returned to Athkatla, so I decided to do the Expose Mae'var questline next.

The only potential threat is Rayic Gethras. Unfortunately for him, Jaheira succeeded in dispelling his buffs.

The rest of the questline went without issue. Mae'var is even less dangerous than Rayic.

Next came the Galvarey encounter. It was extremely trivial to beat. Haste, Slow and Insect Plague in combination turn most enemy parties into mere speedbumps.

These 4 goons in the Bridge District were little issue.

I did some other minor quests at this point, such as the Fallen Paladin quest and freeing Haer'Dalis.

I encountered 2 gauths and a beholder while exploring the sewers. They died fairly quickly, but not before doing a good amount of damage. The Cult of the Eyeless will have to wait until Chapter 6.

Another quest that I will be postponing until Chapter 6. The final boss of the prison has HLA's in my install. I'd rather not find out which ones now.

Rogue Rebalancing allows single-class Thieves with high enough mental attributes to side with Bodhi. Having bought or found all the equipment I need for now, I did so, and her Chapter 3 quests will be next.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Attempt #2. Oran the half-elf Skald, with a portrait of a dude who looks like he should work in a comic book store

Gonna sit in the back singing the skald song. Party is probably going to be pretty well loaded with melee/archer power to take advantage of that song.

e: :lol: I immediately died to Tarnesh. Guess I should have got a few more party members first instead of just me and Imoen

ee: immediately re-rolled another Skald since dying to Tarnesh was a quick end to taht run to say the least and I still wanna try the idea. This time I'll try to get a few party members first..

eee: annnnnnnnd neera got my second Skald killed. poo poo. Might give it one more try with the Skald....I really need to just make a beeline for some powerful npcs I guess

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 8, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Probably my last Ironman attempt for a while. And while I flirted with other characters for a time, in the end, I had to return to...

So far, HULK III has smashed:

Shank
Carbos
Some rats
Some gibberlings
Some wolves
Tarnesh
An axe

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well Skald #1 died due to Tarnesh. Skald #2 died trying to recruit Neera because she color sprayed my entire party for some reason and then the enemy mage was still standing and he just picked my guys off one by one.

Skald #3

I dunno who I'm going for with this guy. Imoen for sure, and definitely Neera because I love wild mages. He's lawful neutral so he could play well with evil or good npcs, though I guess bringing evil guys would cost me the roleplayer achievement. But whatever, I'm mostly concerned with what would be the best group of npcs to bring along with this character. A strong melee presence seems like a good idea to take full advantage of the song

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Valesan has defeated Sarevok!

The fight in the Candlekeep caves was one of the hardest and Coran and Kagain got killed before I remembered Faldorn had a Wand of the Heavens.

Luckily I had remembered to stock up on potions of mirrored eyes for the Basilisks, and with two party members down, that meant there were enough for almost everybody! Always looking on the bright side and all that.

Having found two of the stat tomes at Candlekeep, I decided to go and hunt out the others for some sweet stats

Not bothering with the goons on the way up through Ramazith's house bit me on the rear end as Faldorn got held and then killed while I was upstairs dealing with Ramazith and her stuff had vanished by the time I got to go looking for it. Bye bye Wand of the Heavens :(

I also went and did the Firewine ruins which were pretty boring.

Then back to Baldur's Gate.
The fight at the Ducal Palace was one I had lots of strategies for and the pause button at the ready. Then Liia Janath died and all the strategies went out the window as I sent the entire party to go and guard Belt. Luckily it paid off.

In the Thieves Guild maze, Coran got sent on ahead to spot traps with the boots of speed on so he could run back to the group as necessary.

Coran is kinda poo poo at detecting traps.

The party made it to the Undercity without too much more trouble, promptly forgetting the Iron Throne party down there with arrows of detonation. Oops

Cue a trip through the maze again to get to a temple, and flogging every extraneous inventory item because all of the cash had already gone on arrows of dispelling and detonation.

A single arrow of dispelling on Semaj and he was quickly fodder for Valesan and Coran. The rest of the party took down Tazok without too much trouble.

I had planned to try and lure Sarevok out once the closer goons had been dealt with, but I couldn't find the exit on the door! Luckily nobody else came near. Dorn soaked up Sarevok's attacks, while Faldorn and Yeslick worked on healing him. A mixture of Kagain, two archers and several Magic Missile wands took him down.

Honours:
Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1
Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).
Librarian: Find every stat tome in Baldur's Gate 1.
Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.
Battlemaster: Kill Sarevok in Baldur's Gate 1 without summoning any creatures or laying any traps.

Up to thread whether or not I deserve Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party.
I accepted Xan into my party mid-Mulahey fight because I knew he vanished if you didn't take him but would stay if you recruited him then kicked him out. I hadn't planned on going for this honour at that point in the game, but he never cast a spell, died to his first hit from a kobold seconds later and was immediately kicked out of the party when I resurrected him back in town.

Dishonour:
Don't Hurt Me!: Play the game on a difficulty lower than Core Rules.
gently caress it, I always play one lower because I like my max hitpoint rolls and I wasn't going to pick an Ironman run to start being brave!

Genuinely did not think I would have succeeded in that. Here's hoping I get so lucky in the second game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HULK III's Updated Smash Tally

The Belt Ogre
Some spiders
Karlat (but not before he killed Khalid)

Zordral, the mage in the Nashkel Carnival, who was a surprisingly tough fight (Dude saved against EVERYTHING. I thought I was gonna lose this one, especially after Branwen's silence affected everyone but him, and I'm surprised I didn't lose any more people than Jaheira.)

Neira.
Assorted Flaming Fist Mercenaries (they started it)
Assorted hobgoblins, ghouls, bandits, and miscellaneous critters. And wolves. So many wolves.
Another axe.

Gonna go rescue Dynaheir next.

• Locked thread