Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Its handy to make Americans pledge allegiance and raise flags and whatnot just literally to remind them what country they are in. There are a fuckload of people and cultures in the States so you use patriotism to unify them against secession. If you fail to do this your land empire risks falling apart.

If the EU became a fully fledged conglomerate state like the US you can bet we'd be reciting national anthems and having flags in schools in order to unify people under a distant ruler. Whats funny is that in response to the perceived (and actual) threat of the EU on local democracy we are getting to pushes to increase patriotic activities with our own countries' symbols as a stand of independence.

Patriotism: It means your nation-state is worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Disinterested posted:

You seem to think that Russians could just invade Europe easily like it's 1945. They really couldn't. (Putting aside the fact that two of the major European nations have nukes).

I don't see America rushing to commit its troops to Ukraine.

People really see the world as a videogame where Russia wants the World Domination victory condition. Its a pretty far cry from Russia snapping up parts of its old terroritory with Russians in and them conquering the whole of Europe for no reason.

The only world power explicitly operating with World Domination as their goal is the States (and ISIS but they ain't a power) and by the same logic the states should be conquering and occupying South America and Canada.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No sense worrying about Russia annexing bits of its neighbors on flimsy pretense. This has never happened before in Europe and definitely never lead to giant, horrible wars.

Edit: Although at this point Western Europe is safe from itself because they'd all run out of bombs about 15 minutes into the next "gently caress YOU ALSACE IS OURS" contest.

Hey lets not forget that the last two World Wars were started by grand alliances of otherwise disinterested states all pledging to go to war over territory they didn't care about.

*Glances at NATO* Oh.... shi-

Also if people think that Russia annexing Crimea and Ukraine is the first step towards them annexing Germany and France and starting WW3 then honestly bravo, that is an impressive brain you have there.

e: Thats not to say a WW3 scenario is impossible, but if it happens it's not gonna be the nasty Russians fault. Lets not forget the US was trying to play cold war with mini coups in Ukraine which is RIGHT NEXT TO RUSSIA. gently caress the Russian invasions but they were a hell of a lot more legitimate than the Coalition's little excursions of late.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 18, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

*in high pitched nerd voice*

The correct way to read all my posts! *snort*

On topic, I'm fairly proud of the people of my country but the state itself is basically a den of theives and pedos and is historically responsible for most of the things wrong with the modern world.

When America bankrupts itself in WW3 and becomes a second-rate power unofficially ruled by whichever state did the best war profiteering it'll also become awkward to be patriotic too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm pretty sure WW2 got started because the Germans decided they should conquer and/or exterminate the rest of the human race. But if your version of history makes you feel better you should stick with it.

Hitler was a maniac but its a bit rich crowing about his lust for Greater Germany which would have been significantly smaller than the British Empire was at the time whose goals were literally conquer or exterminate all the non-white races in the whole world.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

First of all the British Empire was pretty content with plundering the parts of the world that they already had post WW1. Second of all, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Of course we were content, we had the largest empire on earth. I'm not saying the Allies started the war.

I'm just saying the British Empire was already a world-spanning white supremacist empire seeking to wipe out or conquer the other races.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Disinterested posted:

I think you'd have quite a lot of work ahead of you demonstrating this on more or less any basis of analysis.

The notion that Britain was actively engaged in race war along Hitlerian lines is just...bizarre. There's also an agency problem, since the Empire did a lot of different things in different places, under different leadership etc. It's not as monolithic an entity as Nazi Germany. It certainly did not have one central or consistent ideology (or approach to questions of race or conquest).

A lot of the architects and theorists of empire weren't racist. You only need read people like Pelly, Mill and Layard arguing about India to see that something more complex was going on.

Well I mean its center was Westminster and Racial darwinism was the order of the day as to how we looked at the empire. A tiered genetic system where white men are born to rule and administer and other races are born to serve, fight or be quitely wiped out with inattention after their resources were seized.

Undoubtably the core of the Empire was motivated on mercenary profit, but the ideology that backed this up was white supremacism. Even the history books that like the Empire have to make mention of it once or twice. I mean gently caress the entirety of our history in India was us complaining that the Indians were an unsuitable, effeminate race that were racially incapable of ruling themselves.
e: at least the Hindu ones, then we split the whole country down the middle and gave half of it to muslim fundamentalists just to gently caress Ghandi and against advice at the time. Killing up to 500,000 people and leading to the lovely situation we find today.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Disinterested posted:

I think the British Empire was dreadful. I just think it's slightly unreasonable to compare it to the holocaust.

They are different things, it is true and so don't compare totally together. By and large we didn't go into other countries and purposefully round up an exterminate one or two specific races (to my knowledge). It was more that we went into other countries and then imprisoned, quarantined or exterminated troublesome groups often under ethnic lines.

If you're looking at it in terms of numbers of people killed, general attitudes of the immediate oppressors and backing ideology it is very similar though, apart from we probably killed more people. I mean we turned entire Kenyan societies into deadly concentration camps.

Hitler was mental and a threat to the western world, but there is a reason many people in colonial countries sided with the Axis.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2015

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

davidb posted:

That was afterall the context focul point of those comments. Someone laughed at the notion that america was spreading democracy

Haha

e for content:

America supports a foreign occupier over the democratically elected government of Palestine.

America supports a military coup that ousted the democratically elected government of Egypt and sentenced them all to death. This was ONE year ago!

America basically rigged all the Iraqi and Afghani elections as much as possible.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cingulate posted:

The US is a lot like democracy or capitalism. It's pretty terrible, but it's a lot better than basically any other thing that's actually been tested yet on that scale.

The US is basically as good and as bad as any global hegemon and there haven't been many. Everyone thinks they're doing new things (see the new economic wizzkids advocating the unheard of idea of giving all the money to the rich) because we have smart phones now but imposing your will on the world through violence and economic domination is not a new thing that Americans discovered and they don't get a free pass.

We can probably find this exact quote written in Greek or Mongolian and for sure we can find it in British.

Pretty much every global hegemon even used the exact same reasoning America does. "Our values are self evidently superior. Its a moral neccessity to spread them".

I'd even be convinced America is more benign than malign if they didn't disregard international law as a matter of policy, which makes them a threat to world peace like any other rogue state, except unlike NK they are in a position to destroy the world if their hegemony is threatened.
("The only country to ever nuke another wouldn't do that!")

• Locked thread