Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

I'd tend to agree, and posit that decentralisation is a positive movement resulting from localised self-interest- Scottish, Catalan, Basque independence movements, etc; with the caveat that sometimes it really just is a bunch of assholes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lega_Nord

Stateless European nations are also pretty much the only people able to match Americans in their really embarrassing displays of patriotism outside of sporting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Anosmoman posted:

Different strokes. Lots of people up and leave their country in a heartbeat and then turn out to be perfectly happy or maybe even like it more there. Are Americans typically proud of the state they live in?

More than you might think, although of course it varies widely between states, regions within those states, and demographic groups. I remember in 2009 or so, shortly before I left Michigan to move to France, I saw a poll in the Detroit Free Press about state pride, and I still remember it because something like 80% of Michiganders said they love Michigan and only 15% said it was "the best place to live".

Also, as much as Europeans are weirded out by US flags everywhere there are states where you'll see state flags all over the place too. Again, this varies enormously between states and regions within states but there are places where it gets pretty ridiculous. Texas is the obvious example but also places you wouldn't necessarily expect, like Colorado. Note that I'm not saying that Americans feel about their states the way Europeans feel about their countries, I'm just saying that a feeling of attachment to one's state is a thing that exists and is not all that uncommon.

Colorado flags in downtown Denver.

Also, there's a market for garbage like this so somebody must be buying it.

http://downwithdetroit.com/Michigan.html

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Here in Brittany and you see tons of regional flags all over the place, in windows, on people's cars, on hats, on shirts, but absolutely no French flags apart from those on state buildings. The normal Breton flag isn't really associated with the far right (except by some idiots in Paris) and the local far right uses their own creepy flags so they remain easy to spot.

Even far left wing groups plaster the flag everywhere, this is a far-left separatist fringe group. Regionalist politics can get really weird.

And here's an episode of a local sitcom gently making fun of people who take the flag too seriously (non-French dialogue is subtitled in French)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJzLfJZ_kg

• Locked thread