Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Remember that time Obama suggested Greeks and the British and other people also believed in exceptionalism for their nations and some people got pissed over it? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

That argument is highly questionable considering Truman's staff deliberately drew up a worst case scenario version of what was already the worst case scenario. Japanese war fatigue by the end of the war was absurdly high and Kuantung army officers that had a chance to surrender often did it because they were more terrified of what the manchu and the koreans would do to them than of what the red army would do to them. The humanitarian argument for hiroshima basically requires assuming that japan was a monolith when the empire was cracking at the seams by the end of the war. It was almost entirely a show of force to the USSR.

Also Japan and Germany were great powers before the United States graced it with the seeds of capitalism in the aftermath of the world wars and in the case of Germany, before the US.

*Cities already bombed into oblivion by fire bombing*
*Doesn't surrender after 1st atomic bomb*
*Attempted coup to stop surrender speech after 2nd bomb*
*Soldiers still fighting tenaciously for every mile of ground*

Yeah, totally about to surrender.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

All that atomic bomb stuff happened after that

Breaking news from D&D: Time is no longer linear

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

davidb posted:

Because they helped stave off russian expansion influence after ww2. Russia collapsed competing in the cold war. Which helped free my country, all of eastern europe, germany from a longer or indefinite control by russia.

Without america becoming what it did after ww2 russia would have dominated everything. Space race, nuclear arsenal. They crushed nazies and japan not single handedly...but almost. After ww2 they could have kept going.

I know my family and friends in poland are very pro American and very grateful for what America has done for the world. Even though they arent perfect. When you need them their there. Sometimes when you dont need them too but almost always with good intentions.

I am thankful for what they did for korea, japan, germany after the wars. Im grateful the example they have set for the rest of the world in terms of promoting democracy even when sometimes its not wanted.

Theyve made the world a more peaceful place by weilding the bigges military in the world in such a way that other countries feel secure having a token military.

Whatever america becomes in the future or gets overtaken by china later. The world was economically, militarily, democracy, corruption wise better off during their reign.

I know its really cool to pretend america is some overhyped hypocritical country. The same way thomas jefferson wasnt a great man because he had slaves. That kind of lofty high horse attitude is common for internet warriors. But from where im standing in the mud america is a beacon of good(even with all its pimples and warts)

When i look at russia, china, india the next runner up domimant, future dominant potentials i shudder. They will not weild the cudgel nearly as softly.

All 3 have terrible crony, corruption, human rights abuses. And thats from a weak position in the world rankings/influence. Wait until they weild the biggest sticks and see what they really want tune they want everyone to dance tk

America is just the developed nation with the most people in it and you can't stop dickwaving about it

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

davidb posted:

Wheres europes military when you need it?

Well, where's America's military when Ukraine and Georgia need it?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

ThirdPartyView posted:

Citation needed.

Hey being beaten by the police certainly counts as special treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

You guys are still arguing with someone who legit says

quote:

the most influential, good, #1 nation in all of history

This is something like a 3rd grader would say after reciting the pledge of allegiance.

• Locked thread