Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Volcott posted:

I'm an American. I was talking with someone from the United Kingdom recently, and we really couldn't understand each other's views on patriotism. I realize that my country has done some terrible things over the years, but I'm still proud to live here. As a country, we've accomplished amazing things.

He didn't really seem to think living in England was any better than living anywhere else in the developed world. He also mentioned that, in his experience, the only people who displayed American levels of national pride were the far-right.

Is this a common opinion?

Yeah, Americans are crazy nationalist, for one example, take yourself. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I will posit a theory that concentration camps breed nationalism. The more concentration camps your country has, the more nationalist it becomes. Some examples:

1. Britain during empire times, they invented this poo poo
2. Germany, doh
3. The US with its Indian Reservations, arguably ghettos
4. France during Vichy times and France in its colonies, arguably the banlieues
5. Australia today
6. Apartheid South Africa
7. Israel with its Occupied Territories

We must never allow a concentration camp gap.

Theory might only apply to western nations.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 17, 2015

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

out of character:

Wait, you guys do know that this is a troll thread from gbs, right? Everyone is still doing satire? Just wanted to make sure that we are still on the same page. Heil Hilter!

I you want to do satire, the correct ending there is "Heil Hitler, and have a nice day."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

asdf32 posted:

What's your opinion if for example a European democracy turns to fascism.

Kill them until they stop. Not joking.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fluo posted:

We traded an Island with the Dutch for New Amsterdam

We want that Island back!!

Surinam is not, in fact, an island.

• Locked thread