Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
There's only one way to do nationalism properly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBT4ZWy6Lm4

To answer seriously, I live in Scotland where there's quite a lot of open "pro-Scottishness" and the governing party is the SNP (Scottish National Party). I'm pretty sure this is only the case because of the existence of the UK, Scotland being ruled by London, and all the other consequences of having to overcome a massive cultural cringe.

Or maybe it's because bagpipes, whisky and haggis is all legitimately awesome and why the gently caress wouldn't you be proud of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Effectronica posted:

American nationalism hasn't led to any horrors we've been forced to confront as of yet, so it's not really surprising how widespread it is. There's also the point of view that focusing on America as made up of trivial things demolishes our understanding of it as a collection of ideals or of people, but that's somewhat paranoid for my tastes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

ekuNNN posted:

The only acceptable nationalism is separatist movements :colbert:

I'd tend to agree, and posit that decentralisation is a positive movement resulting from localised self-interest- Scottish, Catalan, Basque independence movements, etc; with the caveat that sometimes it really just is a bunch of assholes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lega_Nord

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
All the Polish expats I know are cool and chill dudes and Tyskie is a fun beer because it comes in huge bottles and doesn't cost much. All the Americans I know just seem embarrassed to be Americans.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

davidb posted:

We should all walk around embarrassed because our homo sapien/erectus ancestors killed off an ENTIRE SPECIES of humans called neanderthalls. Neanderthalls were at the same technological level as us (basic stone tools) until roughly 75k years ago?

If u dont wake up crying every morning you are a horrible human being

The expansion of any civilization has always come at the cost of the indigneous people and thru war.

So yes, minor atrocity. Slavery was a worse thing and it still doesnt dampen americans nationalism. Efforts are made to apologize and compensate the people for those things which is worth something on the balance scale.

You might be able to make this argument if Americans didn't go around whooping about how good they were at killing Native Americans and openly mocking them at Halloween.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got trolled.

• Locked thread