Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the people here, the country not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually, does it count as national pride if you poo poo on everywhere else slightly more than you poo poo on your own place?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Who else could get Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin to sit down for a picture together?

I found a wonderful V-Day newspaper in the loft the other day with mugshots of all the allied leaders and generals next to each other on the "good side".

It was pretty funny having stalin grinning next to patton.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly they might be blamed for killing shitloads of people. That seems like a thing you can blame people for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I must have forgotten about that whole war against the nazis that ran from 1945 to 1989.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

davidb posted:

You lose. America = almost world peace
i win

I'm not sure you can call the bloodiest pair of wars the world has ever seen, combined with a decades long standoff between two world superpowers that only accidentally managed to end in something other than nuclear annihilation of the entire planet, "almost world peace".

About the best you can say is that for the past few decades, we haven't had anything on the scale of the world wars, the most destructive conflicts in human history.

Which, if you want to play Neville Chamberlain, I guess makes "almost world peace" appropriate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

davidb posted:

The best i can say is much more specific than past few decades. More like 60 years and counting of relative global quiet.

60 years is a long time. 60 years is how long it took the mongol empire to conquer the world and collapse.

Historically there has been non stop armies sweeping the globe in a world domination game. A seamless timeline of one culture burning, raping and holocausting its way through civilians

So yes. This period has been very unique, very healthy and very much thanks to america having a massively larger stick then everyone and mostly using it to keep the peace

Possibly the Cold War had something to do with both the USA and the USSR not being entirely sure who would win in a fight? Again I'm not sure you can accurately phrase "we would totally kill them all but I don't think we could do it without getting killed ourselves" a period of "healthy" peace.

I mean, prior to world war 1, we had about a century of peace in Europe, quite without America having anything to do with it. Mostly due to diplomatic efforts by all the large nations of the time.

And we didn't even go invading into parts of the world that "don't matter" and destabilize them massively, resulting in huge regional conflicts visible nowadays in the middle east! How about that?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 20, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mmm so your idea of a good and constructive peace is an arms race capable of wiping out the majority of human civilisation that manages to end non-destructively only due to the remarkably gentle implosion of one side.

And this makes America "good".

I hate to think what you would call "bad" America in that case. It may literally not have been possible for the cold war superpowers to more actively attempt the self serving destruction of humanity in the name of imperialist aggression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So all the fighting in the middle east and Africa doesn't count, I guess? Because I mean, if you want to throw out large chunks of the world for being too foreign, I can do that too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hate to break it to you but Germany had a democracy before the US showed up.

Edit: And if we're going to get technical, the state of Japan prior to the end of world war 2 was probably your guys fault too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If nobody contests your colouring in of the map then one might perhaps argue that that is all of the enforcement you need?

• Locked thread